Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Storms and Convective discussion - 1st May 2022 onwards

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Seasonal and interesting weather including summer storms and winter snow

Staggered to learn that India recorded 18 million....yes million lightning strikes for the year 20/21...linked to the monsoon. Knew that there was always more stormy weather present there but didnt realise the huge numbers of strikes involved. Sadly many people killed also by lightning in India...

• Like 3

Posted

Yeah it's been very quiet here this year so far. I'm happy to drive a bit too but not much opportunity for that either as yet. Wasn't as committed as @Supacell to drive to the south coast!

Currently looks a bit dark and threatening out but I'd guess everything is capped today as there's no forecast out from our gurus

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms, anything interesting
32 minutes ago, ResonantChannelThunder said:

I'm convinced that you used to be able to absolutely rely on there being an epic thundery plume of some sort every mid-late July (see 2017, 2019 etc), but is now the second July within 3 years not to feature this. Even last July's thundery plume was a lame effort that only grazed into the south coast (I got lucky), so I'll count it, but only just. 

August has got some making up to do. And yes, I know I was one of the lucky ones who got great storms twice in May, before anyone points it out 😉

Yeah man. Currently the quietest year I can remember for where I am. August/September have a lot to live up for to redeem this year. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms
4 hours ago, joey.g2003@gmail.com said:

Yeah it's been very quiet here this year so far. I'm happy to drive a bit too but not much opportunity for that either as yet. Wasn't as committed as @Supacell to drive to the south coast!

Currently looks a bit dark and threatening out but I'd guess everything is capped today as there's no forecast out from our gurus

Haha, I was either committed or I need to be committed 🤪.

It did look rather threatening this evening over Belper but yes everything is capped at too low a height for any chance of lightning. Same will be true over the next couple of days at least.

Summer 2022 shaping up to be very poor for thundery activity. I hope August has something to offer.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms and other extremes
3 minutes ago, Daniel* said:

Close the thread another pathetic summer ! 

As soon as you see a dominant Azores or Atlantic HP, it’s game over for storms.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.
5 hours ago, Rufus Butterfield said:

Yeah man. Currently the quietest year I can remember for where I am. August/September have a lot to live up for to redeem this year. 

Best storm of last year came on 28th September here, but that required the Atlantic to be in full flow. Hope I don't have to wait that long for a proper overhead storm... only had nearby farts and flashes so far this year.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold snowy and frosty
5 hours ago, minus10 said:

Staggered to learn that India recorded 18 million....yes million lightning strikes for the year 20/21...linked to the monsoon. Knew that there was always more stormy weather present there but didnt realise the huge numbers of strikes involved. Sadly many people killed also by lightning in India...

Awful really, so sad.  Indian government seems set to pay compensation to victims.

000_Del6415536.jpg?resize=1200%2C630
WWW.ALJAZEERA.COM

Officials say 20 people died in western Rajasthan state while 18 others lost their lives in Uttar Pradesh over 24 hours.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms, anything interesting

Some quite intense cells in the south east right now

D482CA8D-B797-4973-8FCB-30832B445685.png

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms & Snow

I'd post the original video here but my phone is currently sat in rice as the SIM port is having a mare!

Not sure if it was modelled or not but very impressive with 11.9 mm falling.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms

Hoping a new thread brings new fortunes so locking this one now ⚡⚡

Please continue all severe weather and convection related chatting in here.