Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Storms and Convective discussion - 1st May 2022 onwards

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Wake me up when the storms arrive

Coming out of hibernation in storm-averse Reigate, I see Saturday night looks vaguely interesting. The Cutty Sark comes to mind, too....   

Posted

On the 18.30 BBC forecast Chris Fawkes mentioned prolific lightning for Saturday night but not much rain, that is suggestive of elevated storms.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish plumes & stormy winters. Facebook @ Lance's Lightning Shots

Well, despite some of the less-encouraging runs today, the 12z Euro is a good one; I'll bank that one right now! 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms and Snowstorms

ICON & ARPEGE 18z runs both shift west with modelled precipitation for Sat Night, just remains to be seen how much instability builds and therefore the lightning risk.

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe weather

The Latest GFS run isn’t shabby in the case of an MCS, 17 degrees at Midnight and Cape up to 1000! Day temps soaring past 25 In central London.

83B1813A-FD09-4556-B560-C23B4DA3C8BA.jpeg

4D8C3F47-5161-4DEC-B7A7-028B53917D58.jpeg

2C96BD0B-6838-4250-8DBA-FA67EA7ABADE.jpeg

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms/squalls/hoar-frost/mist
11 hours ago, Andy Bown said:

On the 18.30 BBC forecast Chris Fawkes mentioned prolific lightning for Saturday night but not much rain, that is suggestive of elevated storms.

I wonder if he has got that the right way round 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish plumes & stormy winters. Facebook @ Lance's Lightning Shots

UKV looks better for tomorrow night now, ECM also still encouraging. I'm cautiously hopeful.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms

While the precip projections for tomorrow night are improved, the MLCAPE is still very very weak (in fact, almost non-existent).

I am therefore struggling to see how we might expect to see much, if any, lightning.

On the plus side, however, Sunday night into Monday is looking good for southern areas.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storm, drizzle
34 minutes ago, Harry said:

While the precip projections for tomorrow night are improved, the MLCAPE is still very very weak (in fact, almost non-existent).

I am therefore struggling to see how we might expect to see much, if any, lightning.

On the plus side, however, Sunday night into Monday is looking good for southern areas.

Look at MUCAPE and Saturday into Sunday gets slightly better but agreed that I think the biggest one to look at at the moment is Sunday into Monday.

Posted

Agree with the above, Sunday night is looking much better and better model agreement. GFS & NMM so far showing up to 1000J/Kg of CAPE overnight, however DLS looking somewhat on the weak side probably 20-30kts max. Much greater risk of lightning however than tomorrow night.

EDIT: Honestly haven't seen this much model discrepancy for imported storms in a good few years now.

Edited by Ben Sainsbury
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Ben Sainsbury said:

Agree with the above, Sunday night is looking much better and better model agreement. GFS & NMM so far showing up to 1000J/Kg of CAPE overnight, however DLS looking somewhat on the weak side probably 20-30kts max. Much greater risk of lightning however than tomorrow night.

EDIT: Honestly haven't seen this much model discrepancy for imported storms in a good few years now.

Let’s hope they make further across the channel than last years which almost all hit an invisible super stable about 30mins out from the south coast. 

Posted

Some UKV snapshots, hinting at greatest lightning potential in the channel (surprise surprise), and two possible rounds of downpours:

91983260_nmmukprate(2).thumb.png.38190658b9e2365871f255fbf32a1ef4.png1645633479_nmmukprate(3).thumb.png.c8653d294a88b0c0faeadc2f6ada35ca.png

• Like 2

Posted
  • Location: Caterham-on-the-hill, Surrey, 190m asl (home), Heathrow (work)
  • Location: Caterham-on-the-hill, Surrey, 190m asl (home), Heathrow (work)

Good afternoon, have done a blog for Netweather on the thundery potential from the 2nd half of the weekend,:

lightning3.jpg
WWW.NETWEATHER.TV

A look at the potential for some heavy downpours and thunderstorms affecting parts of the UK during the second half of the weekend and through next week.

Will issue a Thunderstorm Watch tomorrow, if it looks more likely there'll be t-storms Saturday night into Sunday morning and during Sunday.

cheers

Nick F

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

Posted
38 minutes ago, Nick F said:

Good afternoon, have done a blog for Netweather on the thundery potential from the 2nd half of the weekend,:

lightning3.jpg
WWW.NETWEATHER.TV

A look at the potential for some heavy downpours and thunderstorms affecting parts of the UK during the second half of the weekend and through next week.

Will issue a Thunderstorm Watch tomorrow, if it looks more likely there'll be t-storms Saturday night into Sunday morning and during Sunday.

cheers

Nick F

Thank you, Nick. This kind of educational outlook is always really appreciated.

Posted

From what I have read, does any one think that we are in for a long thundery spell that lasts for perhaps over 10 days?

Posted
17 minutes ago, Harry's House said:

From what I have read, does any one think that we are in for a long thundery spell that lasts for perhaps over 10 days?

I wouldn't say so, it just never happens that way in this country. A few years ago, models showed something WAY more thundery than what they show for the coming week, but in reality, sadly it just didn't come off. In this case, I think the Atlantic will cut off any southerly flow entirely by the middle of next week.

• Thanks 1

Posted

The NMM 12z for Sunday night , tomorrow night looks a touch better too.

769459771_Sunnight.thumb.png.248054eee67b0a552fc72d4cdbac3d07.png

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms/squalls/hoar-frost/mist

That sounds like the opposite to a plume.....

Edited by Sprites

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk

viewimage.thumb.png.e6b811a3e7e3b6d325886c6cd2b9465c.png

High PWAT may result in thundery rain rather than storms on Sunday?! Depending on evap, of course..

Posted

I think it's safe to say that the AROME is keen on this (Saturday night). A very loud and late night to be had in the Dorset-IOW area according to its 12z run, but we've all seen how it likes to over-do these situations!

Posted
30 minutes ago, Lance M said:

I think it's safe to say that the AROME is keen on this (Saturday night). A very loud and late night to be had in the Dorset-IOW area according to its 12z run, but we've all seen how it likes to over-do these situations!

AROME not showing a huge amount of instability however, that saying it does also seem on its own regarding tomorrow night developments.

Edited by Ben Sainsbury
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and Thundery, Cold and Snowy

Hmmm I’m very confused. Our local forecast has been on about a Saturday night event for a couple of days now, yet I’m still checking every detail of most runs, and I’m seeing nothing to back up their forecasts. Very little in the way of adequate surface or even elevated CAPE, fairly modest dew points. The only meaningful instability is way over the other side of the Channel in W/NW France. 
As also mentioned, Sunday night to me has a lot more potential. We shall see. Every day is a school day in meteorology. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms
3 minutes ago, Ben Sainsbury said:

AROME not showing a huge amount of instability however, that saying it does also seem on its own regarding tomorrow night developments.

It has however boosted CAPE on the approaches to the SW - over 500 close to the coast at midnight. Precipitation looks impressive though.

0D6671C4-B20E-4DB0-8696-261F4EEB3816.png

59AA8E43-AC65-48EE-8E5C-966156E6EEAC.png

• Like 4