Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Summer 2022 Chat

Posted
10 minutes ago, sunnijim said:

Not sure the upcoming spell was signposted in any of the data that well?

We seem to get stuck in a commentary where we are "certain' of what is to follow.

It seemed "certain' that we were stuck in a rather unsummerlike pattern until maybe the end of June vs the reality of largely sunny skies and temps widely at 23c today over England,so certainly a week of Warm to very warm to hot to perhaps very hot.

A hunch that the cool down on either Saturday or Sunday will be replaced by fine and settled conditions by Tuesday the following week with 24c on the cards again by Thursday,form horse for me will be a toppling High off the Atlantic in a flow backing Westerly,easily possible to achieve those temperatures this time of year in that scenario.

that sounds pretty decent,if we are to see any hot weather the wind direction has to be mainly from the south or southeast..or perhaps with a high sitting right over the UK

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, sleet, Snow

Hopefully the heat vanishes. If we can't have cold spells in the winter then heat lovers should be treated equally and watch their hopes of plumes get squashed as well.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storm, drizzle
17 minutes ago, lassie23 said:

Hopefully the heat vanishes. If we can't have cold spells in the winter then heat lovers should be treated equally and watch their hopes of plumes get squashed as well.

I'm a lover of both, double the pain I guess then.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted
4 hours ago, MP-R said:

Now this is what June skies are all about!

5146434A-5855-4E00-91E6-4C7F824FC1B1.jpeg

Not where I am. Completely clouded over from a 50:50 sky

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and dry, thunderstorms, mild temps (13-22°C).
3 hours ago, lassie23 said:

Blah blah sour grapes blah blah....

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines
4 hours ago, lassie23 said:

Many on here that like hot weather in summer also like snow in winter. You know, seasonal weather

• Like 1

Posted
1 hour ago, stainesbloke said:

Many on here that like hot weather in summer also like snow in winter. You know, seasonal weather

Then they are both screwed

2 hours ago, Thundershine said:

Blah blah sour grapes blah blah....

I'm thinking of my own back yard, heat in London

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything non-disruptive, and some variety
2 hours ago, stainesbloke said:

For a mid-latitude continental climate.

Posted
3 hours ago, stainesbloke said:

*Holds hand up*

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines
10 hours ago, al78 said:

For a mid-latitude continental climate.

Yes, normal conditions for where I live in C Europe, always the hope for the UK with a largely dreary maritime climate 

Edited by stainesbloke

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold winters and cool summers.

Looking at Gav's latest video from an hour ago, it seems to me that regarldess of the peak of the heat on Friday or Saturday, it's notable the shift into very cool uppers on Sunday. Indeed, some charts are showing near 20°C uppers in the extreme southeast and close to 0°C in western Scotland. If any lows form with such a temperature contrast I do think we would have to consider the chance of some very slow moving, intense thunderstorms, despite the model output not neccesarily showing that all that much at the moment. I do think the GFS is on a bit of a tangent however and I think that we'll probably end up somewhere in the middle and then followed by much cooler weather.

Personally, the more downgrades = better. Mid to upper-thirties is not pleasant for most people, especially in the city - and even to a weather enthusiast like myself who takes interests in extremes, I just find it quite depressing that it's another summer with an intense plume of heat coming up from seemingly nowhere. Only 2021 since 2015 has escaped it.

• Like 3

Posted
15 hours ago, *Stormforce~beka* said:

*Holds hand up*

Far more chance of hot weather in summer than snow in winter these days, particularly for those in the south!

18 minutes ago, LetItSnow! said:

Personally, the more downgrades = better. Mid to upper-thirties is not pleasant for most people, especially in the city - and even to a weather enthusiast like myself who takes interests in extremes, I just find it quite depressing that it's another summer with an intense plume of heat coming up from seemingly nowhere. Only 2021 since 2015 has escaped it.

Completely agree 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Basically intresting weather,cold,windy you name it
23 minutes ago, LetItSnow! said:

Looking at Gav's latest video from an hour ago, it seems to me that regarldess of the peak of the heat on Friday or Saturday, it's notable the shift into very cool uppers on Sunday. Indeed, some charts are showing near 20°C uppers in the extreme southeast and close to 0°C in western Scotland. If any lows form with such a temperature contrast I do think we would have to consider the chance of some very slow moving, intense thunderstorms, despite the model output not neccesarily showing that all that much at the moment. I do think the GFS is on a bit of a tangent however and I think that we'll probably end up somewhere in the middle and then followed by much cooler weather.

Its the night time temps especially in high density conurbations coupled with the exhausting daytime time temps that makes 30 plus the worst weather  most experience in the UK. High rise dwellings become furnaces, one aspect ventilation is useless. Even 25c plus for more than a few days in the UK's infrastructure and housing stock can be a real issue with sleep. Thankfully this upcoming hot spell looks limited but there is still a long way to go before we are out of the woods regarding prolonged plume heat events this summer.

• Like 3

Posted
17 hours ago, lassie23 said:

Then they are both screwed

I'm thinking of my own back yard, heat in London

I work often in London, my heart goes out to you how you cope in such a large built up area in the summer months. The difference can be staggering getting out of car which has just come from northern areas, i couldn't cope with it on a daily basis.

• Thanks 1

Posted
16 minutes ago, markyo said:

I work often in London, my heart goes out to you how you cope in such a large built up area in the summer months. The difference can be staggering getting out of car which has just come from northern areas, i couldn't cope with it on a daily basis.

It's stifling and when the humidity builds then that is when people start feeling unwell.

Posted
On 07/06/2022 at 13:35, Earthshine said:

It is really rather depressing in the UK.  52 weeks in a year and it's too much to ask for 4 of those to be warm.  Think I need to move to Spain

We are moving to Italy in the next few years, and will go between there and Latvia. 

London weather is just depressing now. Not enough warm or hot weather with sunshine, and not enough cold sunny frosty days or snow in winter. 

Even up until 2013, I probably wouldn’t have said this, but since that year, winters have been overall disappointing, and summers have been hit and miss affairs. 

37 minutes ago, markyo said:

I cope easily, but I still find it trying if the weather is cloudy or unsettled for long periods of time, especially in the summer months. 

Posted
43 minutes ago, markyo said:

Its the night time temps especially in high density conurbations coupled with the exhausting daytime time temps that makes 30 plus the worst weather  most experience in the UK. High rise dwellings become furnaces, one aspect ventilation is useless. Even 25c plus for more than a few days in the UK's infrastructure and housing stock can be a real issue with sleep. Thankfully this upcoming hot spell looks limited but there is still a long way to go before we are out of the woods regarding prolonged plume heat events this summer.

You can say the same for winter temps once they dip below 7c, and houses without proper insulation become very cold very quickly.

I will agree though, our flat gets really hot once the daytime temp exceeds 26c for 2-3 days or more and one week of 27-29c will make the flat really warm.

Old Victorian house, that hasn’t been properly insulated for many years, and the landlord doesn’t want to spend any money to improve the conditions within the building for his tenants.

The same problem happens in autumn, winter and spring, when daytime temps are around or fall below 13c, the flat becomes like and icebox. 

This explains why we still had to put the heating on during May, and even at the very end of May and start of June, when temps were struggling to reach 15-17c. The flat was still cold. 

• Like 1

Posted
1 hour ago, Don said:

Far more chance of hot weather in summer than snow in winter these days, particularly for those in the south!

Completely agree 

The hot weather hasn’t lasted long in the last few years. It’s the annoying very hot weather for 2-3 days, with weeks of cloudy dull weather to follow. 

I would sooner have a longer warmer spell of weather like 2018, which was very hot at times, but also had a few days in the mix where it dropped to 21-23c for some respite, then when temps did jump back up to 28-30c or so, there was a dry feeling to the heat, with some breezy days. 

I think if the heat source would come from the east or southeast more frequently, it would be more dry and less oppressive.

16 hours ago, *Stormforce~beka* said:

*Holds hand up*

Me too.

• Thanks 1

Posted
1 hour ago, LetItSnow! said:

And most of those summers I would class as poor or non-descript.

2-3 days of intense heat followed by weeks of mediocre conditions.

Would rather the summers we used to have in the 90s, where a week or so of build up to a hot spell would happen, with low 20s, and a few days of sunny spells and cloud, with a wet day thrown in, then a solid 2 weeks of hot weather with temps around 26-30c, before dropping back to 21-23c for a few weeks, before another hot spell for a similar period, and the hottest temp would never exceed 34c.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
25 minutes ago, Sunny76 said:

You can say the same for winter temps once they dip below 7c, and houses without proper insulation become very cold very quickly.

I will agree though, our flat gets really hot once the daytime temp exceeds 26c for 2-3 days or more and one week of 27-29c will make the flat really warm.

Old Victorian house, that hasn’t been properly insulated for many years, and the landlord doesn’t want to spend any money to improve the conditions within the building for his tenants.

The same problem happens in autumn, winter and spring, when daytime temps are around or fall below 13c, the flat becomes like and icebox. 

This explains why we still had to put the heating on during May, and even at the very end of May and start of June, when temps were struggling to reach 15-17c. The flat was still cold. 

I fully agree with the issue with heating a poorly insulated property, much more needs addressing. Point i was trying to make was with high rise properties being mainly one aspect the exponential rise in heat even at below 30c ambient can cause misery and sleepless conditions. Yes the cold can be uncomfortable for those who feel it like yourself but the inability to cool down in a stifling flat i suspect for most living there even though for a short period can be far more draining than any cold issues. Sleep deprivation can cause a lot of health issues. Just like a poorly heated property can in Winter for those effected.

Posted
38 minutes ago, markyo said:

I fully agree with the issue with heating a poorly insulated property, much more needs addressing. Point i was trying to make was with high rise properties being mainly one aspect the exponential rise in heat even at below 30c ambient can cause misery and sleepless conditions. Yes the cold can be uncomfortable for those who feel it like yourself but the inability to cool down in a stifling flat i suspect for most living there even though for a short period can be far more draining than any cold issues. Sleep deprivation can cause a lot of health issues. Just like a poorly heated property can in Winter for those effected.

That might contribute to lots of social unrest in certain areas with higher concentration of poor quality high rise accommodation. 

East London is like a city of social housing, and in the summer heat, those places are a hot bed for violence. When the daytime temps reach high 20s, I’m sure the chances of a violent outburst are more frequent.

I just use East London as an example. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
1 hour ago, Sunny76 said:

I would sooner have a longer warmer spell of weather like 2018, which was very hot at times, but also had a few days in the mix where it dropped to 21-23c for some respite, then when temps did jump back up to 28-30c or so, there was a dry feeling to the heat, with some breezy days. 

Agreed!

1 hour ago, Sunny76 said:

Would rather the summers we used to have in the 90s, where a week or so of build up to a hot spell would happen, with low 20s, and a few days of sunny spells and cloud, with a wet day thrown in, then a solid 2 weeks of hot weather with temps around 26-30c, before dropping back to 21-23c for a few weeks, before another hot spell for a similar period, and the hottest temp would never exceed 34c.

Ditto once again!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms

Oh my...

image.png

Edited by Liam Burge

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Clear blue skies!

Surprisingly nice 3 days with decent amounts of sunshine plus some really tasty looking weather coming next week! Unfortunately I'm working most of it lol.