Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Autumn 2022 - Moans, Ramps & Chat

Posted
4 hours ago, Sunny76 said:

I remember the festive period of 2009, and early January 2010 being quite sunny and frosty. Would love more of those types of days every winter, instead of 2-3 weeks of dull cloudy days.

2008/09 was the one that started the trend of colder winters in the late 2000s.

I would love this too.

when I think of Halloween, bonfire night and Christmas I have these really fond memories of calm, misty afternoons in the autumn with the low sun and long shadows and beautiful sparkling sunshine over the snowfields in the winter. I genuinely can’t remember the last time we had those.

Its either mild, wet and windy or mild and wet. 

• Like 3

Posted
44 minutes ago, Azazel said:

I would love this too.

when I think of Halloween, bonfire night and Christmas I have these really fond memories of calm, misty afternoons in the autumn with the low sun and long shadows and beautiful sparkling sunshine over the snowfields in the winter. I genuinely can’t remember the last time we had those.

Absolutely but hot and dry summers and mild and wet winters are going to become increasingly more frequent with climate change, so will just have to suck it up.  However, there will always be the exception!

Posted
35 minutes ago, Don said:

Absolutely but hot and dry summers and mild and wet winters are going to become increasingly more frequent with climate change, so will just have to suck it up.  However, there will always be the exception!

My uncle said the early to mid 1970s had many winter periods of mild and damp and not much sunny or frosty weather. 

I think it’s just part of our climate. 

They said hot dry summers would become the norm, but it doesn’t happen in quite a few years. The last time we had a long hot summer like this one was 2018. 

Edited by Sunny76

Posted
28 minutes ago, Sunny76 said:

My uncle said the early to mid 1970s had many winter periods of mild and damp and not much sunny or frosty weather. 

I think it’s just part of our climate. 

They said hot dry summers would become the norm, but it doesn’t happen in quite a few years. The last time we had a long hot summer like this one was 2018. 

Yes, mild and wet winters have always occurred and it is part of our natural climate.  However, sunny and frosty winter weather will happen less and less frequently.

Hot and dry summers are definitely getting more frequent now and 2018 was pretty recent in my book!

Posted
4 hours ago, Azazel said:

I would love this too.

The reality is most said periods were mild wet and windy.. even long ago.. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heat, sun and thunderstorms in summer. Cold sunny days and snow in winter
1 hour ago, Don said:

Good news, autumn is nearly here! 

A3D78E51-F2F9-47EF-9508-C92F1FADCBE6.jpeg

No house spiders in my house yet, but a couple of mornings ago I noticed an orb spider web on one of my large hydrangea plants in my front garden. Little things like that are a sign that we are at the end of high summer and on the verge of late summer. The blackberries in my back garden and elsewhere are coming along nicely too.

It will be autumn before we know it. Just hope we get a more seasonal one this time round.

Edited by Weather Enthusiast91
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms and other extremes
4 hours ago, Don said:

Good news, autumn is nearly here! 

A3D78E51-F2F9-47EF-9508-C92F1FADCBE6.jpeg

I'd personally love to have the whole house fumigated to get rid of all of these things

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...
1 hour ago, CreweCold said:

I'd personally love to have the whole house fumigated to get rid of all of these things

I don't mind spiders, Crewe, but I'm getting sick of all the flies, as I'm already on my third can of Raid!🥵

• Like 2

Posted
2 hours ago, CreweCold said:

Peppermint oil from Holland and Barrett helps.

I used it last year when we had a couple. 

Just sprinkle a few drops around the perimeter of the room and all around the bed. They hate it.

Keeps cockroaches out also.

• Like 1

There is a large area SE of Newfoundland with SST anomaly greater than +3C, some area greater than +4C. This is likely to lead to some powerful storms heading our way at some point during Autumn when other factors align due to the temperature contrast with cold air from the North being greater than usual.

Posted
7 hours ago, CreweCold said:

It's ok, the cellar spiders will sort it out! 😉

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and frost in the winter. Hot and sunny, thunderstorms in the summer.

Looking deeper into Autumn, the outlook regarding rainfall looks poor with most long rangers keeping conditions drier than average.

Temperatures could go either way depending on the positioning of heights, Europe - mild, Atlantic possibly cold and wintry etc.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heat, sun and thunderstorms in summer. Cold sunny days and snow in winter
48 minutes ago, Captain Shortwave said:

Looking deeper into Autumn, the outlook regarding rainfall looks poor with most long rangers keeping conditions drier than average.

Temperatures could go either way depending on the positioning of heights, Europe - mild, Atlantic possibly cold and wintry etc.

A part of me is starting to wonder whether or not we'll ever see rain again.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Clear blue skies!

Wondering what is the point of these moans threads now that we have all these separate threads for people who like different stuff like the heat haters thread etc. These threads used to have loads of banter between sun haters and sun worshippers etc but now they are a barren wasteland! I think it should go back to the old way of just having a moans thread because otherwise it just separates users into different sections of the site which I find a shame. I know people like different weather and there can be arguments etc but there can also be more togetherness like the amount of times ive seen people apologise to another after a disagreement and it ends on a wholesome note! Or the jokes and laughs. The banter and fun is gone on these threads! Bring back the moan threads as the main threads I say!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.

Well this thread is hardly going to be raving yet as it’s not autumn!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Clear blue skies!
4 hours ago, MP-R said:

Well this thread is hardly going to be raving yet as it’s not autumn!

I meant these threads in general- the summer moans thread has been a ghost town since the heat haters thread came in lol.

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and Thundery, Cold and Snowy
2 hours ago, SunSean said:

I meant these threads in general- the summer moans thread has been a ghost town since the heat haters thread came in lol.

Can’t understand why these heat haters can’t just up sticks and move further North to Scotland or somewhere even better like Shetland if they hate it that much? I get it that some may have employment that restricts it somewhat, but why not? Especially if you can work from home! 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Storms, and plenty of warm sunny days!
8 minutes ago, East_England_Stormchaser91 said:

Can’t understand why these heat haters can’t just up sticks and move further North to Scotland or somewhere even better like Shetland if they hate it that much? I get it that some may have employment that restricts it somewhat, but why not? Especially if you can work from home! 

Did you post this with a straight face, my god man if it was that simple, 🤯

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and Thundery, Cold and Snowy
1 minute ago, Wold Topper said:

Did you post this with a straight face, my god man if it was that simple, 🤯

If only eh 😂. If I hated a climate that much, then it would be down to me to do something about it lol. The weather ain’t gonna change for anyone, it’s down to you to adapt or make changes for the weather! 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Storms, and plenty of warm sunny days!

Thats not what your previous post implied tho is it, peeps can't just up sticks and relocate, it ain't that simple pal, if only it was but it ain't in the real world 👍

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.
On 10/08/2022 at 20:58, Don said:

Yes, mild and wet winters have always occurred and it is part of our natural climate.  However, sunny and frosty winter weather will happen less and less frequently.

May do... may not do... There's no certainty in anything. If we get fat inflated high pressures sat over us for lengthy periods more often in winter, then sunny and frosty weather might actually increase. 

• Like 2

Posted
1 hour ago, East_England_Stormchaser91 said:

Some people can’t work from home, therefore can’t move to another part of the country.

I’m forever stuck in London.

image.gif.613aee3f403c2cd8505b2ce686e9dc3e.gif

Posted
30 minutes ago, MP-R said:

May do... may not do... There's no certainty in anything. If we get fat inflated high pressures sat over us for lengthy periods more often in winter, then sunny and frosty weather might actually increase. 

I agree with this.

If the ground remains a dry, the landmass will cool down more rapidly during the autumn, and we could end up with a long period of cold dry weather.

As much as I would like cold frosty weather, we need a mild wet one to balance things out. 

1 hour ago, East_England_Stormchaser91 said:

If only eh 😂. If I hated a climate that much, then it would be down to me to do something about it lol. The weather ain’t gonna change for anyone, it’s down to you to adapt or make changes for the weather! 

Me and weather don’t always get on, I would say we have a turbulent relationship!

• Like 2