Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Autumn 2022 - Moans, Ramps & Chat

• 3 weeks later...
Posted
On 13/11/2022 at 09:51, Weather-history said:

Every month continuously being above average is unsustainable.  There have always been a cuckoo in the nest, a month that seems to buck the period eg August 2014.   1740 had one with the September of that year. 

When is the cuckoo going to appear?

The cuckoo has called......

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

Judging by the amount of wishful thinking in the MAD thread today, I smell a 20C coming on!😊

• Like 1

Posted
46 minutes ago, Ed Stone said:

Judging by the amount of wishful thinking in the MAD thread today, I smell a 20C coming on!😊

Autumn has gone dear ...

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...
10 minutes ago, *Stormforce~beka* said:

Autumn has gone dear ...

So has Delia!:santa-emoji:

Posted
4 hours ago, Ed Stone said:

Chances of that occurring are higher than many would like sadly!!

Posted
3 hours ago, Don said:

Chances of that occurring are higher than many would like sadly!!

There’s nothing we can do about it. 35 years and counting. The classic U.K. winter is gone forever. 

Posted
3 minutes ago, Sunny76 said:

There’s nothing we can do about it. 35 years and counting. The classic U.K. winter is gone forever. 

I know but that doesn't make it any better!  I'm sure we will have a 'classic' UK winter again but it will likely take something pretty special to achieve it?!!

Posted
2 minutes ago, Don said:

I know but that doesn't make it any better!  I'm sure we will have a 'classic' UK winter again but it will likely take something pretty special to achieve it?!!

It will definitely happen again, and I would bet it will be one that will take people by surprise. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet
50 minutes ago, Sunny76 said:

Define classic, the winter of 09/10 was the coldest since 79 with all 3 months at least 1C below the average. On a Jan-March basis the winter of 13 was pretty rocking.

Posted
34 minutes ago, summer blizzard said:

Define classic, the winter of 09/10 was the coldest since 79 with all 3 months at least 1C below the average. On a Jan-March basis the winter of 13 was pretty rocking.

Prior to the winter of 1987/88, the winters in the U.K. were colder, or more average. Since that winter the U.K. has recorded much milder winters and hotter summers.

Yes, we did see a string of cold winters during the 2008/09 to 2012/13 era, but the trend since then is still in favour of milder winters with less snowfall.

Posted
17 minutes ago, Sunny76 said:

Prior to the winter of 1987/88, the winters in the U.K. were colder, or more average. Since that winter the U.K. has recorded much milder winters and hotter summers.

Yes, we did see a string of cold winters during the 2008/09 to 2012/13 era, but the trend since then is still in favour of milder winters with less snowfall.

Of course, but your statement was that the classic winter is gone forever and that we are 35 years and counting. That's not consistent with your statement. We are getting on for 10.

Climate change exists but we are still going to see 'classic winters' even if infrequently.

Edited by summer blizzard
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold winters and cool summers.
14 hours ago, summer blizzard said:

Wasn't the winter of 2009/2010 actually slightly more severe than 78/79 in Scotland? I seem to recall reading that. I think 2009/2010 was much more fair the further south you were.

Posted

Classic winters........the term used backed in the day was "old fashioned winters" and its amazing that 150 or so years ago, people were calling the great winters such as 1813-14 as "old fashioned winter"

This from 6th March 1879    ".....now we have got one of the old fashioned winters that elderly people are fond of quoting"

Posted
5 hours ago, LetItSnow! said:

Wasn't the winter of 2009/2010 actually slightly more severe than 78/79 in Scotland? I seem to recall reading that. I think 2009/2010 was much more fair the further south you were.

Yeah, I think Dec-Jan was running at record pace.

Posted
6 hours ago, LetItSnow! said:

I 'think' it was the most severe winter for Scotland since 1962/63?