passed 40C added tags

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme

Hot already patchy cloud

Temp 25.4C, low 23.6C, Barometer 1011mb falling, Wind F2 SSE, Rainfall Nil

Posted

Just worth watching if any convection triggers in the red zone. The models don't really seem to be seeing the convection all that well so can't rule out some popping in the red zone and perhaps limiting how high we go.

Other than that I think its all systems go for the record.

If it falls it will be early afternoon.

Posted

Dry with patchy cloud but plenty of sun, a low of 19.3 C, even higher than the previous night, current temperature at 0718=22.9 C

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything extreme

A dry and clear night and a  hot and sunny start to  this morning after the highest minimum since I started recording almost 60 years ago.

At 0800 g.m.t

Temp; 27.8c

24 hr max; 33.7c

24 hr min; 22.6c

Grass min; 15.7c

Rainfall in 24 hrs ending 0800 g.m.t; 0.0 mm

Mean wind speed; 7 mph S

2 oktas Ac castellanus and Ci

Vis' 30 miles

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Location: South Derbyshire nr. Burton on Trent, Midlands, UK: alt 262 feet
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme winter cold,heavy bowing snow,freezing fog.Summer 2012
  • Location: South Derbyshire nr. Burton on Trent, Midlands, UK: alt 262 feet

Tuesday 19th July 2022

Clear spells overnight, staying warm. Sunny this morning, quickly turning hot.

24-hour maximum 36.8c

24-hour minimum 17.5c

Minimum temperature on grass 13.0c

Maximum wind gust: Midnight to Midnight) 12.8mph S

Rainfall total = 0.0mm

Conditions at 09:00 GMT

2 Oktas Altocumulus, Castellanus, Cirrus

Visibility >10 miles.

Temperature: 31.6c

Humidity 65.7%

Wind Direction SE force 2

Barometer 1011.8mb Trend falling.

Yesterday. 

Variable amounts of mainly high cloud overnight. Hazy sunshine this morning, turning hot. Very hot (record breaking) by afternoon in long sunny spells.

Posted
53 minutes ago, Terminal Moraine said:

A dry and clear night and a  hot and sunny start to  this morning after the highest minimum since I started recording almost 60 years ago.

At 0800 g.m.t

Temp; 27.8c

24 hr max; 33.7c

24 hr min; 22.6c

Grass min; 15.7c

Rainfall in 24 hrs ending 0800 g.m.t; 0.0 mm

Mean wind speed; 7 mph S

2 oktas Ac castellanus and Ci

Vis' 30 miles

That minimum will take some beating TW. No chance of anything near that here. Our record min is 19.1C in 42 years and has been over 18C only 6 times in that period.

Partly cloudy, sunny and very warm to start. The min of 17.1C was the third highest this month. The temp has rapidly risen to 29.9C despite a slight onshore breeze.

Posted
3 hours ago, reef said:

That minimum will take some beating TW. No chance of anything near that here. Our record min is 19.1C in 42 years and has been over 18C only 6 times in that period.

Partly cloudy, sunny and very warm to start. The min of 17.1C was the third highest this month. The temp has rapidly risen to 29.9C despite a slight onshore breeze.

Yes, I did wonder if the 20.3c in August 1990 would ever be beaten ( in my lifetime ) but it was obliterated. So has the all time maximum record on the same date. When I looked an hour ago the temperature was 35.3c and rising, almost 3c above the old record.

• Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme

Another exceptional day with extreme horrid heat. Overnight the temperatures covered warming the cooler rooms of the house as I had opened the windows when it orginally dropped below the inhouse tempatures. So insteadf rooms at 20C I found them at 25C. Temperatures smashed yesterdays record. The cold front is struggling so looks like the heat linger on longer than one wanted.

Max temp 38.7C, now 38C, Barometer 1006mb falling rapidly, Wind F3 SSW, Rainfall Nil

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes the unusual and interesting facts

Wow,what can i say,a day to remember

An extraordinary hot and sunny day.Minimum this morning was 17 deg,which i thought would have been higher.Working in Derby today but managed to get home for 3.15 when i couldnt believe what i was seeing,i expected 36 tops but it was 38.2 deg.Around 3.30 the breeze suddenly picked up ti quite a stiff wind blowing things around but the temp climbed to 38.7 deg,that must be at least 4 degrees above the record around here and almost 5 degrees above yesterday.Temps fell back to 36 deg within 20 mins at 3.50 and have cooled off considerably at 31 deg at 5.30 pm with some cloud.

Posted

Dry, sunny and exceptionally hot, has clouded over in the past hour but no rain has hit the ground here from the band of showers showing on the radar. The wind got up for a while early afternoon reminding me of the blowtorch conditions I once experienced in the Australian outback, where there was a gusty dry wind and the temperature was 41C.

The nearest official station at the university reached 37.7 early afternoon, well up on its previous record of 36.4 from August 2003. The maximum here on our shaded thermometer in the garden was 38.0, last night's minimum 20.6. Wind light SE.

Posted

An extraordinarily hot day with a maximum and minimum temp' that I never imagined I'd witness in this country, let alone at almost 1000 feet above level. Sunny and windy until late afternoon when the wind veered W/NW and decreased a bit. Cloud spread in from the south west by 1700 g.m.t and the temperature fell about 3 degrees.

At 1700 g.m.t

Temp; 30.2c

Max today; 36.6c

Min last night; 23.6c

Grass min; 15.7c

Rainfall from 0800-1700 g.m.t; 0.0 mm

Sunshine today so far; 10.9 hrs

Mean wind speed; 13 mph NW

Highest gust today; 41 mph SE at 1249 g.m.t

6 oktas Cs and Ac

Vis; 40 miles

• Thanks 1

Posted

Hot and sunny with broken cloud but rather hazy. The max temp of 36.8C was 1.5C above yesterday and means the existing 42 year July record of 31.7C was obliterated by 5.1C! The long-standing August 1990 warmest max of any month was also beaten by 2.8C. The temperature actually surpassed 36C by midday but a strong onshore breeze meant any further rises were limited. Cloud has moved in during the evening accompanied by a complete swing in wind direction to the NW, keeping it rather hot. The air was again extremely dry like yesterday with a min humidity reading of 22%.

Max Temp: 36.8C (new record)
Min Temp: 17.1C
Mean Wind: 16mph SE
Max Gust: 27mph
Sunshine: 12.2hrs
Rainfall: None

Currently mostly cloudy with sunny spells and a temp of 28.9C and 36% humidity.

Posted

Amazing TM being 1000 feet up near enough same height as here temps Reefs temps similar..

Made 33.8c at 12.30 record hot morning as temps soared from 25c at breakfast time crazy...

Temps dropped by 3.5c  by 1pm when that west wind really picked still sunny.

Edited by Snowyowl9

• 1 month later...
Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Not too hot, excitement of snow, a hoolie

An incredible new record has been confirmed by the UK Met Office” after receiving monthly gathered data from one of their stations. Some observation points send in a continuous feed of data, others are checked hourly or every 24 hours- often at 9Z. Some are only visited monthly and if there is a provisional record, a team from the Met Office has to visit and verify the enclosure conditions and equipment.

Previously the daily 09-0900 minimum temperature was 23.3C for July (29th 1948 in St James’s Park. London) and 23.9C for any month (3rd Aug 1990 in Brighton). Shirburn Model Farm in Oxfordshire recorded 26.8C on Tuesday 19th July in the first Extreme Heat event of this summer. The new record minimum has now increased by 3.5C for July and by 2.9C for any month in the UK.

pablo (7).png

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1