Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Drought Watch

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Seasonal and interesting weather including summer storms and winter snow
30 minutes ago, kold weather said:

Most models going for 5-10mm for the areas that *really* need it. 

Drought buster that is not though, especially with what is coming afterwards again is a lengthy HP spell. 

I fear widespread hose pipe bans for the SE are now literally 1-2 weeks away, they already have been introduced in parts of Hampshire.

It is SO dry out there now, its locally drier than even 2018 as the lake I use as a reference is now totally gone. I went down to bordon today to walk the dog and the enclosure there honestly looked like the Serengeti dry season with how yellow and dusty everything was, and the ponds/lakes are also basically gone just leaving wet/not so wed mud patches.

Yes, i was in Twickenham yesterday and conditions were even worse than in herts...the grass was not only brown but had withered away to nothing in places. Signs of lack of water stress in much of the shrubery and scorched leaves from the extreme heat of last week. 5 to 10 mm...well at least it might help fill the water butts and settle some of the dust but on a larger scale wont do much at all....

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...
7 minutes ago, minus10 said:

Yes, i was in Twickenham yesterday and conditions were even worse than in herts...the grass was not only brown but had withered away to nothing in places. Signs of lack of water stress in much of the shrubery and scorched leaves from the extreme heat of last week. 5 to 10 mm...well at least it might help fill the water butts and settle some of the dust but on a larger scale wont do much at all....

It's pretty awful innit? Nothing but dry grass everywhere. BT OpenZone must be organising this year's rainfall!😁

Posted

I was shocked by how parched the London parks were this week. Green Park more like Brown Park.

Even Buckingham Palace gardens were bone dry and leaves falling readily. 

No drought up in Belfast though. Lashing it down.

Edited by mountain shadow
  • Like 1

Posted
34 minutes ago, minus10 said:

I’ve noticed a lot of trees - silver birch and beech seem to have been stressed by the heat last week and their leaves look burnt. 

5-10mm of rain here in the south east would be useful even if it greened things up a bit! 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.
4 minutes ago, Great Plum said:

I’ve noticed a lot of trees - silver birch and beech seem to have been stressed by the heat last week and their leaves look burnt. 

5-10mm of rain here in the south east would be useful even if it greened things up a bit! 

Yes the same round here to reg the stress on birch and beech. The hot dry wind has certainly effected this one in the plantation.

IMG_20220729_204022.thumb.jpg.b51429b2569ff676c6412328648be5c2.jpg

• Like 3

Posted
5 hours ago, minus10 said:

Well, what is this then for Sunday...

Screenshot_20220729-181240_YouTube.thumb.jpg.c58da748cff711407641f4cede8d6692.jpg

some much needed rain further south, however unlikely to be that significant...but anything is welcome...

Barely touches Hampshire in that! And we have a hose pipe ban!

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish plumes & stormy winters. Facebook @ Lance's Lightning Shots

There is rain in the models over the next few days, for pretty much everywhere except the far south coast, what a joke! I'm half convinced it's never going to rain again! Every single front that comes in goes just to the north, or completely disintegrates before getting down here. 

Edited by ResonantChannelThunder
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warmth, sun, blue sky, and the odd bit of snow on a weekend would do nicely
2 minutes ago, ResonantChannelThunder said:

There is rain in the models over the next few days, for pretty much everywhere except the far south coast, what a joke! I'm half convinced it's never going to rain again! Every single front that comes in goes just to the north, or completely disintegrates before getting down here. 

I agree The ECM has been absolutely crap regarding rain , for the last 8 weeks 5 days ahead shows this part of Norfolk there will be “lots of rain”  with it showing accumulation of anything up to 20mm at times never has happened. Not convinced for Sunday either local radio weather is saying “wet all day with heavy bursts at times” national as well. If this doesn’t happen well!!!! 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish plumes & stormy winters. Facebook @ Lance's Lightning Shots
3 minutes ago, slater said:

I agree The ECM has been absolutely crap regarding rain , for the last 8 weeks 5 days ahead shows this part of Norfolk there will be “lots of rain”  with it showing accumulation of anything up to 20mm at times never has happened. Not convinced for Sunday either local radio weather is saying “wet all day with heavy bursts at times” national as well. If this doesn’t happen well!!!! 

That's even more depressing than not being forecast any rain. At least I can accept it in advance, whereas it sounds like you're getting your hopes up and being let down over and over!

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: The Actual Weather ..... not fantasy.

trees do drop some leaves when its dry, always have, they can grow more though if it rains before "autumn" and some years theres been 2 tree rings.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot

Watching ITV News last night and the newsreader mentioned at the end "Let's hope we avoid the rain". Not sure that was a sensible comment in the current conditions really.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Posted
12 hours ago, Great Plum said:

Not necessarily, we had a 20mm heavy downpour last Friday evening which left merely a hint of a green tinge by Saturday evening. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Seasonal and interesting weather including summer storms and winter snow

Well latest ukv 6z may give some puddles for some areas with a few heavy bursts but overall not good for meaningfull rain with south of the m4 missing out completely..

763099184_nmmukprate(2).thumb.png.59169d19839c7fb68c47f6bc34a27b14.png

831810847_nmmukprate(3).thumb.png.bd0be7b5d80ddb4a1baa8736ce0a0661.png

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: cold and snowy. Summer: hot and sunny
18 hours ago, mountain shadow said:

I was shocked by how parched the London parks were this week. Green Park more like Brown Park.

Even Buckingham Palace gardens were bone dry and leaves falling readily. 

No drought up in Belfast though. Lashing it down.

Yes our garden has patches where the grass is not just brown, but has pretty much withered away. Walking across it feels like straw. We don’t use a sprinkler or anything like that so it literally has had almost no water in about 2 months. 

Posted
8 minutes ago, danm said:

Yes our garden has patches where the grass is not just brown, but has pretty much withered away. Walking across it feels like straw. We don’t use a sprinkler or anything like that so it literally has had almost no water in about 2 months. 

In Lincolnshire it’s been pretty dry since May, my grass has all but gone and I mentioned before being a farming county the fields have had to use irrigation rigs for weeks. 

Lo

Posted

Frustratingly the ukv 12z keeping the rain well away from the south..

314970371_nmmukprate(4).thumb.png.85f43712aa8a46dabd79d2b2715cab5f.png1958785729_nmmukprate(5).thumb.png.21b4b661024558c723b801888b00e613.png

BBC also keeping the rain away from the south...

Screenshot_20220730-181429_Chrome.thumb.jpg.9b57b2c71e47feee10d630d998db2e6a.jpg

So what seemed like a promise of some rain...5 to 10 mm yesterday has now disappeared...this is like trying to find the holy grail....or should i say holy water .....

Posted

Ecm 12z accumulated precip charts showing parts of south and east with 5mm or less in next 10 days..

Screenshot_20220730-224112_Chrome.thumb.jpg.0ab6990e09434fc48ed1829a564360ff.jpg

Really not what we wanted to see in the desert areas...

• Like 1

Posted

One tiny drop on the window when I opened the curtains earlier.

That's our lot for another week!

• Thanks 1

Posted
9 hours ago, minus10 said:

Ecm 12z accumulated precip charts showing parts of south and east with 5mm or less in next 10 days..

Screenshot_20220730-224112_Chrome.thumb.jpg.0ab6990e09434fc48ed1829a564360ff.jpg

Really not what we wanted to see in the desert areas...

GFS similar for the next 16 days. Looking like an increasingly significant drought.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow Frost Sun

We've had heavy rain overnight here in Yorkshire, had rain most days for over a week now, lawns and everything is turning green again. 👌

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter cold,snow and frost. Summer hot and thundery
12 minutes ago, Nick L said:

GFS similar for the next 16 days. Looking like an increasingly significant drought.

Maybe scrap HS2 and build a north south water pipe plenty of rain up here recently, I think it rained most days since the heatwave some heavy persistent rain here overnight again. All grass back to green in my garden 

• Like 2

Posted
Just now, seabreeze86 said:

Maybe scrap HS2 and build a north south water pipe plenty of rain up here recently, I think it rained most days since the heatwave some heavy persistent rain here overnight again. All grass back to green in my garden 

It is borderline criminal that we can even have water shortages in this country. Should be absolutely no excuse for it. It's not as if we've gone years without rain.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted
1 minute ago, Bradowl said:

We've had heavy rain overnight here in Yorkshire, had rain most days for over a week now, lawns and everything is turning green again. 👌

Same here the weather has took a turn since the kids started there summer holidays as usual 

• Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold snowy and frosty

Pleased to say we have had some rain overnight.  Seems enough, for the moment at least, to help revive the lawns and some plants and to perhaps dampen down the woods at the rear of our properties.  I don’t think it is enough to save trees perhaps as some have really droopy leaves, the lilac trees in particular look very unhappy.   We noticed yesterday how awful some of the trees look alongside the estate roads, some look as if they have died off.  

Posted
Just now, Nick L said:

It is borderline criminal that we can even have water shortages in this country. Should be absolutely no excuse for it. It's not as if we've gone years without rain.

100% agree not like we haven’t had warnings in the past . Remember using a standpipe in Scunthorpe when I lived there in 1995