Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Storms and Convective discussion - 1st August 2022 onwards

Supacell

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms

A new month and I think it is time for a brand new thread despite the lack of any widespread convective activity for a while now. The storm lovers amongst us will be hoping for something a bit more exciting through August and September than what we've gotten so far. Those living away from more northern and western parts will probably just be hoping for some rain.

Nothing of any use on the horizon for storm enthusiasts or those wanting rain in the parched south, yet. It has to change soon, doesn't it? 🙄

Keep discussing, good luck all.

Old thread here (been running since May 2021, wow!!)

• Like 8

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Humid Continental Climate (Dfa / Dfb)

Does anyone have any theories about the lack of lightning? 

• Like 1

Posted

yep generally the monthly forecast is another dry, hot one...this year is a another write off for storms it looks like....2 years now up here since we last had one

• Like 2

Posted

I've been living here in the West Midlands since 2006, I don't think I can recall a year where I've made it as far as August without hearing one rumble of thunder.

Considering where I've lived before, it might even be the first time in my life.

(Lowestoft 78-98, Bangor Gwynedd 98-01, Sunderland 01-04, Columbus Ohio 04-06. I was a student in Bangor and Sunderland, so returned home to Lowestoft for the summer, most certainly would have had storms there, back in the days when Lowestoft would get huge all nighters!)

Edited by Gord

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and Thundery, Cold and Snowy

Getting tedious now. I’ve not known a year like it. All the heat in the world, and nothing to show for it. Is it the lack of ground moisture? Or different parts of the world seeing more anomalous moisture and potential? Or just a lack of cold air above and less temperature differentiation I.e poor lapse rates? God knows. 
Here’s an awesome microburst in the Las Vegas valley two days ago just incase you forgot what an amazing storm looks like! 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms, anything interesting

It’s been like the climate along the west coast of California. Warm/hot, sunny days, but there’s little to no instability so very few storms happen.

Posted

Recent years have delivered barely any thunder and lightening here. We had a couple of strikes on the 2nd June but so far nothing.

The exceptional heat 2 weeks came to an end with a whimper.. can only think due to the exceptional dry air. 

• Like 1

Posted
1 hour ago, damianslaw said:

Recent years have delivered barely any thunder and lightening here. We had a couple of strikes on the 2nd June but so far nothing.

The exceptional heat 2 weeks came to an end with a whimper.. can only think due to the exceptional dry air. 

Has to be that. Even France and Benelux by their standards have had very little activity compared to other years, where they usually see a massive MCC or MCS’s drifting up from the Pyrenees. 
I can’t help thinking we may get a more stormy September given how warm the BoB and surrounding seas will be as we kick off autumn. There must be some extra heat retained given how hot and rainless it’s been. 
Also to add, most of the Mediterranean is at or above 27-28c!! With a few spots near 30! That’s more than enough to sustain a powerful hurricane, so it’ll be interesting if we see a Medicane form. I’m also expecting a very strong and perhaps catastrophic Valencian monsoon in autumn other wise known as the Gota Fria. 

Edited by East_England_Stormchaser91
  • Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, hail, lightning

To look on the bright side: Any storms that we do get this season, are more likely to be after dark!

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms and Snowstorms
10 hours ago, damianslaw said:

Quite possibly, but I guess there is no concrete way of knowing! This has to be the worst year for homegrown activity that I can remember.

• Like 2

Posted
11 hours ago, East_England_Stormchaser91 said:

Has to be that. Even France and Benelux by their standards have had very little activity compared to other years, where they usually see a massive MCC or MCS’s drifting up from the Pyrenees. 
I can’t help thinking we may get a more stormy September given how warm the BoB and surrounding seas will be as we kick off autumn. There must be some extra heat retained given how hot and rainless it’s been. 
Also to add, most of the Mediterranean is at or above 27-28c!! With a few spots near 30! That’s more than enough to sustain a powerful hurricane, so it’ll be interesting if we see a Medicane form. I’m also expecting a very strong and perhaps catastrophic Valencian monsoon in autumn other wise known as the Gota Fria. 

Looking back to1976. It goes without saying that it is well known that the drought that year ended in August, with September and October being very wet.

I was working at Cardington then. With Cardington being well inland, strong solar insolation is a major factor in summer convective activity so that a completely thunder-free summer month was unusual, with a big drop in its incidence in September.

In 1976, however, no thunder was reported in June and August, but September may well be the most thundery on record there, the notably thundery night of the 24th/25th being truly exceptional for so late in the year. Although no further thunder occurred at Cardington during October, I understand that in other places it was much more frequent than normal. 

High sea surface temperatures were quoted as a factor in the high rainfall then, and presumably also the incidence of thunder.

For an active autumn, we want a high incidence of cyclonic south or southeasterly situations such as it was during the night of 24th/25th September mentioned above.

• Like 9

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and dry, thunderstorms, mild temps (13-22°C).

Sheffield has had a stonking 3 rumbles of thunder so far this year. This is the lowest I've ever known in my records and probably my life so far. Very strange.

• Like 2

Posted

Some real winners and losers this year. I've had some dreadfully bad luck thanks to the Colchester Thunder Vacuum, averaging 1 storm per year over the last 5 summers, for the South East that's a low figure. 
But this year I've had 3 storms overhead and 4 more could be heard from here. Add a couple out to see that light up the dark night sky and it's been an amazing year. 

On the flip side, the North Sea is incredibly warm this year, we'll struggle to see settling snow before the year is out. 

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe weather

UK Lightning map, July 2022. A blob of very little strikes  and nothingness in southern and central Britain which is exactly where that 40 degree heat hit most. Mother Nature has pulled off a real joke this month.

82EDBBCB-92FE-4645-81EA-868A5688D51A.jpeg

Edited by The Tall Weatherman
  • Like 4

Posted

Even tomorrow, a low with decreasing heights at 500hpa overlapping very warm and humid conditions across the country would usually give some decent ingredients. What on earth is going on!? 
As mentioned above, the abnormally high sea temps in the North Sea, also the channel being very warm too should definitely help once we see the autumnal lows set in. 20-21c sea temps compared to typically 15-16 would make a huge difference in instability levels. 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms and other extremes
5 hours ago, East_England_Stormchaser91 said:

Even tomorrow, a low with decreasing heights at 500hpa overlapping very warm and humid conditions across the country would usually give some decent ingredients. What on earth is going on!? 
As mentioned above, the abnormally high sea temps in the North Sea, also the channel being very warm too should definitely help once we see the autumnal lows set in. 20-21c sea temps compared to typically 15-16 would make a huge difference in instability levels. 

I don't know, I can't explain it. Something strange is occurring though.

I've noticed something has been 'off' over the past few months. Even with face value favourable synoptics for at least a few weak storms there has been nothing at all.

Look at this chart from the 0z GFS...flabby LP across Europe...you'd expect some precipitation to show, right?

image.thumb.png.fcf36217f5e87e5cf9c5626e6f356366.png

The corresponding precipitation chart shows hardly anything

image.thumb.png.62ffa5571bd622149c67151d2da1c38d.png

Edited by CreweCold
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish plumes & stormy winters. Facebook @ Lance's Lightning Shots

Once again next week, we have the typical, generic pattern of 2022 repeat in the same way, if the models are right.

2/3 hot days and thunderstorm?

No. 2/3 hot days and a decaying cold front from the NW.

Edited by ResonantChannelThunder
  • Like 1

Posted
7 hours ago, CreweCold said:

I don't know, I can't explain it. Something strange is occurring though.

I've noticed something has been 'off' over the past few months. Even with face value favourable synoptics for at least a few weak storms there has been nothing at all.

Look at this chart from the 0z GFS...flabby LP across Europe...you'd expect some precipitation to show, right?

image.thumb.png.fcf36217f5e87e5cf9c5626e6f356366.png

The corresponding precipitation chart shows hardly anything

image.thumb.png.62ffa5571bd622149c67151d2da1c38d.png

Same thing happened with that heat low  during the 40 degree heatwave!!!there was hardly any precipitation!!its like everything just got sucked dry into the atmosphere!never seen anything like it and very strange indeed!! 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk

If I hadn't have had 5 separate thunderstorms this year, Its just hit & miss.. I've gone more than 4 or 5 years at a time with no storms in the past before, it's just the way it is..

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - snow, Irish sea convection. Summer - thunderstorms, hot sunny days

Waiting to see if anything happens later in the night around here. Looks interesting.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Foggy autumn days are the best! Although I does enjoy a good thunderstorm.
6 hours ago, Chris.R said:

Waiting to see if anything happens later in the night around here. Looks interesting.

Morning @Chris.R and everyone else who like me is feeling storm starved.

All I’ve had this year has been one distant poxy rumble of thunder! 🌩😔

But we have got some convective cloudscapes as well as some heavy power showers. …….. Hey it’s a start! 🥹👍🏻

E7569F75-2089-49E5-86F6-21F159DE460C.jpeg

9D9CBE46-E1A7-4C25-A904-E8A8BA4ED276.jpeg

6A63FE86-A2A7-4D95-A6E7-6B734773DD50.jpeg

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms, anything interesting

Decent convection kicking off now, even a few drops of rainA866EA2F-B323-41A5-9DB7-2BCD200680A6.thumb.jpeg.7d72c112438c45c04fc17f2304370d36.jpeg

• Like 2

Posted
On 02/08/2022 at 00:36, East_England_Stormchaser91 said:

Gota fria eh ,its usually where he Costa blanca gets most of the rain it needs for the following year isn't it but my dads lived there 29 years and even they are tailing off ,so gawd knows where Madrid etc al get there's from 

• Like 2