Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Songs that remind you of late summer and autumn looming?

Sunny76

Posted

As we’ve reached the halfway point of August, today in some ways marks the shift from high summer to that late summer feeling. 

Songs that fit the bill for this time of year.

Posted

That's just the way it is by Bruce Hornsby and The Range released Aug 1986, has a very wistful melancholic edge and sentiment about it.. also backing track to football result countdown on grandstand which started mid August.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: All 4 seasons and a good mixture of everything and anything!

Wake Me Up When September Ends of course 

• Like 3

Posted
17 minutes ago, damianslaw said:

That's just the way it is by Bruce Hornsby and The Range released Aug 1986, has a very wistful melancholic edge and sentiment about it.. also backing track to football result countdown on grandstand which started mid August.

Yeah, that’s a good one. 

Also this one from Peter Cetera.

Makes you think of those chilly mornings after a cold starry night,  before the day warms up in late august and early september.

Posted
13 minutes ago, damianslaw said:

That's a cracking tune!

For me, it's I gotta feeling by the Black Eyed Peas from August 2009!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot sun, storms & ‘Oh no can’t go into work - snowed in’ days

It might seem premature but…..“I watch the birds fly south across the autumn sky” - the swifts have already gone & the swallows are congregating….

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot sun, storms & ‘Oh no can’t go into work - snowed in’ days
9 minutes ago, StretfordEnd1996 said:

Good choice 👍🏼

Posted
4 minutes ago, Sunny76 said:

Late summer early autumn vibes with this one also.

Another great tune!  This was 1982, wasn't it?

Posted
10 minutes ago, StretfordEnd1996 said:

Indeed, I often use that refrain to describe September weather.. fall asleep time..

Confide in me by Kylie and Youssou n Dour and Neneh Cherry take me back to early Sept 94... couldn't quite dislodge Wet Wet Wet.. but marked a change in feel of things..  Saturday Night by Whigfield booted Wet Wet Wet away..

The Drugs don't work by The Verve late Aug 97 definitely a melancholic vibe to that one which signifies end of summer.

• Like 1

Posted

Especially in a drought year such as this….

Posted
4 minutes ago, Don said:

Another great tune!  This was 1982, wasn't it?

Yes it was. For some reason I remember it from 82, and I was only 6.

They must have given this a lot of airplay at the time, and this was when Duran Duran really hit their peak era and were moving away from the New Romantic phase.

• Like 1

Posted
3 minutes ago, damianslaw said:

Indeed, I often use that refrain to describe September weather.. fall asleep time..

Confide in me by Kylie and Youssou n Dour and Neneh Cherry take me back to early Sept 94... couldn't quite dislodge Wet Wet Wet.. but marked a change in feel of things..  Saturday Night by Whigfield booted Wet Wet Wet away..

The Drugs don't work by The Verve late Aug 97 definitely a melancholic vibe to that one which signifies end of summer.

I concur with the latter…😌

Posted
4 minutes ago, damianslaw said:

Yeah, I remember the 7 Seconds song, but also remember hearing it in July of 94 when it was hot. It did climb up the chart at a steady pace and hung around into autumn. 

Lisa Loeb was another one. That stuck around for ages. Forgot the name of the song though lol.

• Like 1

Posted
Just now, Sunny76 said:

Yes it was. For some reason I remember it from 82, and I was only 6.

They must have given this a lot of airplay at the time, and this was when Duran Duran really hit their peak era and were moving away from the New Romantic phase.

I was 5 (almost 6) but also remember it well, so I think you're correct and must have been given a lot of airplay, the same with their single Rio.

Posted
Just now, Sunny76 said:

Yeah, I remember the 7 Seconds song, but also remember hearing it in July of 94 when it was hot. It did climb up the chart at a steady pace and hung around into autumn. 

Lisa Loeb was another one. That stuck around for ages. Forgot the name of the song though lol.

Yes 7 seconds was released early in the summer but took an age to make Top 3.

Lis Loeb was called I miss you.

Posted
1 minute ago, Don said:

I was 5 (almost 6) but also remember it well, so I think you're correct and must have been given a lot of airplay, the same with their single Rio.

Yeah, Rio still sticks out quite vividly. Their videos have also aged fairly well from this period of 82, compared to their earlier stuff or later videos( not that I’m knocking them)

1 minute ago, damianslaw said:

It was cool and dull in September if I remember, which was such a shame after a decent summer that year. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Any extreme weather conditions

Justin Hayward Forever Autumn 😢❤️

Posted
7 minutes ago, damianslaw said:

She faded after that.

A lot of those early to mid 90s acts would be big for one year and vanish without a trace. Similar to the 80s in many respects.

4 minutes ago, Jan said:

Justin Hayward Forever Autumn 😢❤️

Yeah that’s another one. It’s so on the nose about the subject.

Posted
10 minutes ago, damianslaw said:

I remember this being played on Atlantic 252 a lot during July 94!  All these great songs from the past and what do we have these days?! 😢

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms and other extremes
27 minutes ago, damianslaw said:

Masterpiece of a song, despairingly sad though as it was written about his experience with his dying dad. His dad was that close to death, even the drugs had stopped working 😞

His depressive sense of inevitability of his dad’s death summed up with the lyric ‘like a cat in a bag, waiting to drown’

Edited by CreweCold