Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Songs that remind you of late summer and autumn looming?

Sunny76

Posted
2 hours ago, I remember Atlantic 252 said:

Absolute?

Absolute 90's!

5 minutes ago, CreweCold said:

Not related to the autumn time of year that we’re discussing but the 90s really was great for music wasn’t it.

One song guaranteed to get me dancing is ‘What is love’ by Haddaway from 1993. One of the best dance songs of the 90s IMO. Love how the synth strings are brought out more in the 12” version 😉

Yes it certainly was and didn't really realise it at the time!  

Edited by Don
  • Like 1

Posted
31 minutes ago, Afrayedknot said:

Bruce willis 

Under the broadwalk. 

That came out around early June 1987, but stuck around for ages. Had that late summer feel to it. 

• 2 weeks later...
Posted
On 16/08/2022 at 21:26, damianslaw said:

This summer by Squeeze released in late Aug 1995 has a last of the summer vibe to it, very wistful, even though its about summer, wonder if I would associate it with an early summer feel had it been released earlier in the summer. Prior to about mid 00's when downloads took over etc.. the music industry would often release big holiday dance tunes and party tunes in early September, and we would have to wait until late September before the biggest selling artists returned to the charts often with new material in time for christmas. Hence when you look at the charts in the 80s and 90s, there was an abundance of big dance hits hitting the upper Top 10 late August - mid Sept, examples include Culture Beat - mr Vain, Saturday Night - Whigfield..

I remember that Squeeze song. 

Also I remember these from summer of 1995:

Posted
9 minutes ago, Sunny76 said:

I remember that Squeeze song. 

Also I remember these from summer of 1995:

Strong memories of Paul Weller track, it was a hit in July and played loads on the radio through the summer, possibly captures the lazy hot feeling of summer 95 more than any other single out that summer..  seem to remember the video was shot in the Surrey countryside or there abouts.. 

I don't recall the Van Morrison track at all. 

As for summer 2022 its the Afraid to Feel single that I think many will associate its hotness with.. In 2018 I would say George Ezra Shotgun was the one.

• Like 1

Posted
2 minutes ago, damianslaw said:

Strong memories of Paul Weller track, it was a hit in July and played loads on the radio through the summer, possibly captures the lazy hot feeling of summer 95 more than any other single out that summer..  seem to remember the video was shot in the Surrey countryside or there abouts.. 

I don't recall the Van Morrison track at all. 

As for summer 2022 its the Afraid to Feel single that I think many will associate its hotness with.. In 2018 I would say George Ezra Shotgun was the one.

Maybe I should check those out. Not familiar with either the George one or Afraid to Feel.

Check out the Van Morrison track mate. It really has that summer 1995 vibe to it. Sounds great in the sunshine or even on a lazy Sunday afternoon in autumn.

I remember the Paul Weller video set in the country side with blue sunny skies. 

• Like 1

Posted
Just now, Sunny76 said:

Maybe I should check those out. Not familiar with either the George one or Afraid to Feel.

Check out the Van Morrison track mate. It really has that summer 1995 vibe to it. Sounds great in the sunshine or even on a lazy Sunday afternoon in autumn.

I remember the Paul Weller video set in the country side with blue sunny skies. 

Both big number ones, Afraid to feel is the current number one 8 weeks in a row and counting. I will check out Van Morrison.

Posted
24 minutes ago, damianslaw said:

Both big number ones, Afraid to feel is the current number one 8 weeks in a row and counting. I will check out Van Morrison.

I haven’t followed the mainstream for years. The last year I actively kept an eye on anything new was probably around 2009, when White Lies and Empire of the Sun were going.

I will check them out.

Edited by Sunny76

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms and other extremes
7 hours ago, Sunny76 said:

I will check them out.

It's a decent song...but predictably samples a hit of yesteryear. The fact it has been number 1 for 8 weeks highlights the poor state of music right now.

Something like Tocas Miracle from 2000 knocks it out of the park IMO.

Edited by CreweCold
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
Posted

Can’t work out how to put a link using my mobile.  But two singer songwriter songs:

End of Summer - Dar Williams, about going to University after summer holidays.  Nice reference to the ice on the grass. 

Summer’s End - John Prine, a song about ageing etc, as ever from John Prine, sharply written with a wry view on life.

• Like 1

Posted
3 hours ago, Stevew said:

Hey Jude by the Beatles!

Release date 26th August 1968. A stunning hit throughout that autumn!

I wasn’t aware of when that came out, but it does fit with that final end of summer and moving into autumn type song.

This was also closer to the end of their peak.

A timeless song by them and light years away from the likes of Love me Do, and I Wanna Hold Your Hand. 

• Like 1

Posted
4 hours ago, Maz said:

Can’t work out how to put a link using my mobile.  But two singer songwriter songs:

End of Summer - Dar Williams, about going to University after summer holidays.  Nice reference to the ice on the grass. 

Summer’s End - John Prine, a song about ageing etc, as ever from John Prine, sharply written with a wry view on life.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heat, sun and thunderstorms in summer. Cold sunny days and snow in winter

Released in Septmeber 1978.

Edited by Weather Enthusiast91

Posted
On 07/09/2022 at 13:01, Sunny76 said:

Continuing my "story song" theme, a very sad song from a brilliant new album released last week:

maxresdefault.jpg
MUSIC.YOUTUBE.COM

Provided to YouTube by IIP-DDS Winter Town · Concrete Prairie Concrete Prairie ℗ Good Deeds Music Released on: 2022-09-02 Music Publisher: Beautiful Wo...

Really hits me this song, some notable lyrics:

Got the blues in September when the sunshine left his heart

He is a summer guy in a washed out winter town

I guess in late November the season seems too far out of reach

...SAD sufferers I'm sure can empathise.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heat, sun and thunderstorms in summer. Cold sunny days and snow in winter

Released in August 1983.

Little did the band know at the time of recording, it did indeed up being a long hot summer that year.

Posted
1 hour ago, Weather Enthusiast91 said:

Released in August 1983.

Little did the band know at the time of recording, it did indeed up being a long hot summer that year.

Yeah it’s weird. They must have filmed this video in July or even late June before the hot summer arrived. 

Definitely has that late summer, ‘last gasp of heat before autumn gets here’ kind of vibe.

• Like 1