Jump to content
Thunder?
Local
Radar
Hot?
IGNORED

First ground and air frost watch 2022-23 season


Recommended Posts

Posted
  • Location: Windermere 120m asl
  • Location: Windermere 120m asl

Time for the annual thread for people who want to record their first ground and air frost of the new season, as well as speculate when it may occur. This thread is separate to the lowest minima thread 2022-23 season which I tend not to start until October.. unless others get in first..

Anyhow, we have a chilly night forecast Tuesday, nothing exceptional, but a few sheltered spots in NE Highlands could just about record first ground/grass frost of the new season.

I tend to believe the new season starts end August, any low minima beforehand belongs to the old season.

Here we tend on average to record our first ground frost by the fourth week of September, and first air frost by third week of October. Some years both can be much earlier, I recall a -3 degrees 23rd Sept 2012 for example. 

Please use this thread to record when you first receive a ground and air frost (latter 0 degrees or below). I will resurrect the thread regularly the more deeper we go into Autumn, especially when the first notably frosty nights may be recorded. It tends to quickly become lost... but I will keep its profile up!

 

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet

Excellent. Another winter thread to go with the ice and snow.

As ever, frost can occur at any point between September and November. At least Scotland is always interesting to monitor.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted
  • Location: Longden, Shropshire
  • Location: Longden, Shropshire
21 hours ago, summer blizzard said:

As ever, frost can occur at any point between September and November

What about December, January, February and March?! 🤣

Edited by Don
  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted
  • Location: halifax 125m
  • Weather Preferences: extremes the unusual and interesting facts
  • Location: halifax 125m
On 28/08/2022 at 20:30, summer blizzard said:

Excellent. Another winter thread to go with the ice and snow.

As ever, frost can occur at any point between September and November. At least Scotland is always interesting to monitor.

Actually air frosts can occur on almost any day of the year.There are only 10 days in the year that frosts have not been recorded,5 in July and 5 in August.

July 12th,22,26,28 and 29th

August 3rd,4,7,8 and 18th.

a mor interesting question would be when does the season end/start?

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet
25 minutes ago, hillbilly said:

Actually air frosts can occur on almost any day of the year.There are only 10 days in the year that frosts have not been recorded,5 in July and 5 in August.

July 12th,22,26,28 and 29th

August 3rd,4,7,8 and 18th.

a mor interesting question would be when does the season end/start?

What about the range for England. I imagine most of those were the Scottish Highlands.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted
  • Location: Dorset
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk
  • Location: Dorset
15 minutes ago, hillbilly said:

a mor interesting question would be when does the season end/start?

There's no official start/end date. You calculate the length of it instead.

For my 2021/2022 air frost season, it started on the 4th of November, and ended on the 10th of April. 46 frost days, and the frost season length was 159 days.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted
  • Location: halifax 125m
  • Weather Preferences: extremes the unusual and interesting facts
  • Location: halifax 125m
21 minutes ago, summer blizzard said:

What about the range for England. I imagine most of those were the Scottish Highlands.

TORRO | Extremes ~ Minimum temperature date records

Here lists minimums for each day,there are a good representation from Norfolk i dont have details for England only.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted
  • Location: Crystal Palace, South London (300 feet asl)
  • Location: Crystal Palace, South London (300 feet asl)

The tawny owls are out and about. But at 16 degrees currently, maybe a frost is a little wishful thinking. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted
  • Location: Windermere 120m asl
  • Location: Windermere 120m asl
1 hour ago, hillbilly said:

Actually air frosts can occur on almost any day of the year.There are only 10 days in the year that frosts have not been recorded,5 in July and 5 in August.

July 12th,22,26,28 and 29th

August 3rd,4,7,8 and 18th.

a mor interesting question would be when does the season end/start?

I say starts late August and ends mid August..my start and end points of the season. On average our first air frost 3rd week October, last one early May.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted
  • Location: Cheddington, Buckinghamshire
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot
  • Location: Cheddington, Buckinghamshire
10 hours ago, summer blizzard said:

What about the range for England. I imagine most of those were the Scottish Highlands.

They were but frosts have occurred in England in every month too.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted
  • Location: Kirkcaldy, Fife, Scotland 20m ASL
  • Weather Preferences: Snow,Thunderstorms mix both for heaven THUNDERSNOW 😜😀🤤🥰
  • Location: Kirkcaldy, Fife, Scotland 20m ASL
3 hours ago, damianslaw said:

2 degrees Altnaharra this morning.

Nearer to 1C 😉 and Cairngorm a close 2nd lowest with Tulloch Bridge and Shap pretty nippy too Screenshot_20220831-122644_Chrome.thumb.jpg.2ca5e17a226c6cb5e46044d5f5509641.jpg

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted
  • Location: Windermere 120m asl
  • Location: Windermere 120m asl
10 hours ago, Kirkcaldy Weather said:

Nearer to 1C 😉 and Cairngorm a close 2nd lowest with Tulloch Bridge and Shap pretty nippy too Screenshot_20220831-122644_Chrome.thumb.jpg.2ca5e17a226c6cb5e46044d5f5509641.jpg

Thanks. Ground frost territory. Could be equally cold early hours this morning. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet

Aboyne is down to 4C.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted
  • Location: Yorkshire
  • Location: Yorkshire

Aboyne had 4.0C on June 20th, 4.2C on July 14th, It had another 5 or 6 cold August days including 1.4C on the 17th and 2.0C at midnight last night. It got down to 0.3C this morning but that's September and the new season (according to meteorologists).  Dry ground is probably helping diurnal swings a bit so maybe we will get a few dry places see early frosts a bit further south if we don't all get a drenching soon? Shap had 2.6C yesterday morning so there was probably an early riser around there somewhere who saw a bit of white stuff on grass or cars if there was enough moisture in the air to provide. That would be the first likely visible frost in England as far as I know.

WWW.OGIMET.COM
WWW.OGIMET.COM

 

Edited by Aleman
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted
  • Location: Windermere 120m asl
  • Location: Windermere 120m asl
3 hours ago, Aleman said:

Aboyne had 4.0C on June 20th, 4.2C on July 14th, It had another 5 or 6 cold August days including 1.4C on the 17th and 2.0C at midnight last night. It got down to 0.3C this morning but that's September and the new season (according to meteorologists).  Dry ground is probably helping diurnal swings a bit so maybe we will get a few dry places see early frosts a bit further south if we don't all get a drenching soon? Shap had 2.6C yesterday morning so there was probably an early riser around there somewhere who saw a bit of white stuff on grass or cars if there was enough moisture in the air to provide. That would be the first likely visible frost in England as far as I know.

WWW.OGIMET.COM
WWW.OGIMET.COM

 

Can always count on Shap being contender for first ground frost in England. Good to see first air frost recorded in Scotland start of Autumn. Nights are drawing in...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted
  • Location: Windermere 120m asl
  • Location: Windermere 120m asl

After a bit of activity, this thread rightly gone quiet.. low pressure dominating equals tons of cloud at night, barely amywhere is seeing any breaks at present and nothing on the immediate horizon to suggest the return of cool clear skies. I will be keeping this thread alive in September.. just a feeling it may remain very dormant until October.. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted
  • Location: Yorkshire
  • Location: Yorkshire

The weather outlook is for a cooler settled spell midweek.  I'm not sure it will bring widespread frosts but it might see several frosts in the usual isolated areas of the North, and possibly into England this time.

Edited by Aleman
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted
  • Location: Windermere 120m asl
  • Location: Windermere 120m asl
10 hours ago, Aleman said:

The weather outlook is for a cooler settled spell midweek.  I'm not sure it will bring widespread frosts but it might see several frosts in the usual isolated areas of the North, and possibly into England this time.

Yes a number of spots might come close to ground frost territory at least, a surge of colder uppers by mid week followed by a high pressure from a cool source, these are ideal ingredients for frost. We shall see..

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted
  • Location: Windermere 120m asl
  • Location: Windermere 120m asl

Please keep this thread alive.. it may well justify some activity this week, especially end of the week. Report any ground or indeed air frost.. i'll be keeping an eye on minima..

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted
  • Location: Shoreham, West Sussex
  • Weather Preferences: T storms, severe gales, heat and sun, cold and snow
  • Location: Shoreham, West Sussex
14 hours ago, damianslaw said:

Please keep this thread alive.. it may well justify some activity this week, especially end of the week. Report any ground or indeed air frost.. i'll be keeping an eye on minima..

I would love to report air or even ground frosts so soon, but unfortunately where I live we don't get frosts until November at the earliest due to the channel still being so warm,especially so this year.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted
  • Location: Yorkshire
  • Location: Yorkshire

Shap looking favourite to secure England's first frost of the season.  It was 2.6C there this morning and colder is expected. It sounds like there could be plenty of the usual places recording frosts by Saturday morning.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...