Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

First ground and air frost watch 2022-23 season

Posted

Time for the annual thread for people who want to record their first ground and air frost of the new season, as well as speculate when it may occur. This thread is separate to the lowest minima thread 2022-23 season which I tend not to start until October.. unless others get in first..

Anyhow, we have a chilly night forecast Tuesday, nothing exceptional, but a few sheltered spots in NE Highlands could just about record first ground/grass frost of the new season.

I tend to believe the new season starts end August, any low minima beforehand belongs to the old season.

Here we tend on average to record our first ground frost by the fourth week of September, and first air frost by third week of October. Some years both can be much earlier, I recall a -3 degrees 23rd Sept 2012 for example. 

Please use this thread to record when you first receive a ground and air frost (latter 0 degrees or below). I will resurrect the thread regularly the more deeper we go into Autumn, especially when the first notably frosty nights may be recorded. It tends to quickly become lost... but I will keep its profile up!

• Like 3

Posted
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet

Excellent. Another winter thread to go with the ice and snow.

As ever, frost can occur at any point between September and November. At least Scotland is always interesting to monitor.

Posted
21 hours ago, summer blizzard said:

As ever, frost can occur at any point between September and November

What about December, January, February and March?! 🤣

Edited by Don
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes the unusual and interesting facts
On 28/08/2022 at 20:30, summer blizzard said:

Excellent. Another winter thread to go with the ice and snow.

As ever, frost can occur at any point between September and November. At least Scotland is always interesting to monitor.

Actually air frosts can occur on almost any day of the year.There are only 10 days in the year that frosts have not been recorded,5 in July and 5 in August.

July 12th,22,26,28 and 29th

August 3rd,4,7,8 and 18th.

a mor interesting question would be when does the season end/start?

• Like 2

Posted
25 minutes ago, hillbilly said:

Actually air frosts can occur on almost any day of the year.There are only 10 days in the year that frosts have not been recorded,5 in July and 5 in August.

What about the range for England. I imagine most of those were the Scottish Highlands.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk
15 minutes ago, hillbilly said:

There's no official start/end date. You calculate the length of it instead.

For my 2021/2022 air frost season, it started on the 4th of November, and ended on the 10th of April. 46 frost days, and the frost season length was 159 days.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes the unusual and interesting facts
21 minutes ago, summer blizzard said:

What about the range for England. I imagine most of those were the Scottish Highlands.

TORRO | Extremes ~ Minimum temperature date records

Here lists minimums for each day,there are a good representation from Norfolk i dont have details for England only.

Posted

The tawny owls are out and about. But at 16 degrees currently, maybe a frost is a little wishful thinking. 

Posted
1 hour ago, hillbilly said:

I say starts late August and ends mid August..my start and end points of the season. On average our first air frost 3rd week October, last one early May.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot
10 hours ago, summer blizzard said:

They were but frosts have occurred in England in every month too.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow,Thunderstorms mix both for heaven THUNDERSNOW 😜😀🤤🥰
3 hours ago, damianslaw said:

2 degrees Altnaharra this morning.

Nearer to 1C 😉 and Cairngorm a close 2nd lowest with Tulloch Bridge and Shap pretty nippy too Screenshot_20220831-122644_Chrome.thumb.jpg.2ca5e17a226c6cb5e46044d5f5509641.jpg

• Like 2

Posted
10 hours ago, Kirkcaldy Weather said:

Nearer to 1C 😉 and Cairngorm a close 2nd lowest with Tulloch Bridge and Shap pretty nippy too Screenshot_20220831-122644_Chrome.thumb.jpg.2ca5e17a226c6cb5e46044d5f5509641.jpg

Thanks. Ground frost territory. Could be equally cold early hours this morning. 

• Like 1

Posted

Aboyne is down to 4C.

Posted

Aboyne had 4.0C on June 20th, 4.2C on July 14th, It had another 5 or 6 cold August days including 1.4C on the 17th and 2.0C at midnight last night. It got down to 0.3C this morning but that's September and the new season (according to meteorologists).  Dry ground is probably helping diurnal swings a bit so maybe we will get a few dry places see early frosts a bit further south if we don't all get a drenching soon? Shap had 2.6C yesterday morning so there was probably an early riser around there somewhere who saw a bit of white stuff on grass or cars if there was enough moisture in the air to provide. That would be the first likely visible frost in England as far as I know.

WWW.OGIMET.COM
WWW.OGIMET.COM

Edited by Aleman

Posted
3 hours ago, Aleman said:

Aboyne had 4.0C on June 20th, 4.2C on July 14th, It had another 5 or 6 cold August days including 1.4C on the 17th and 2.0C at midnight last night. It got down to 0.3C this morning but that's September and the new season (according to meteorologists).  Dry ground is probably helping diurnal swings a bit so maybe we will get a few dry places see early frosts a bit further south if we don't all get a drenching soon? Shap had 2.6C yesterday morning so there was probably an early riser around there somewhere who saw a bit of white stuff on grass or cars if there was enough moisture in the air to provide. That would be the first likely visible frost in England as far as I know.

WWW.OGIMET.COM
WWW.OGIMET.COM

Can always count on Shap being contender for first ground frost in England. Good to see first air frost recorded in Scotland start of Autumn. Nights are drawing in...

Posted

After a bit of activity, this thread rightly gone quiet.. low pressure dominating equals tons of cloud at night, barely amywhere is seeing any breaks at present and nothing on the immediate horizon to suggest the return of cool clear skies. I will be keeping this thread alive in September.. just a feeling it may remain very dormant until October.. 

• Like 1

Posted

The weather outlook is for a cooler settled spell midweek.  I'm not sure it will bring widespread frosts but it might see several frosts in the usual isolated areas of the North, and possibly into England this time.

Edited by Aleman

Posted
10 hours ago, Aleman said:

The weather outlook is for a cooler settled spell midweek.  I'm not sure it will bring widespread frosts but it might see several frosts in the usual isolated areas of the North, and possibly into England this time.

Yes a number of spots might come close to ground frost territory at least, a surge of colder uppers by mid week followed by a high pressure from a cool source, these are ideal ingredients for frost. We shall see..

Posted

Please keep this thread alive.. it may well justify some activity this week, especially end of the week. Report any ground or indeed air frost.. i'll be keeping an eye on minima..

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: T storms, severe gales, heat and sun, cold and snow
14 hours ago, damianslaw said:

Please keep this thread alive.. it may well justify some activity this week, especially end of the week. Report any ground or indeed air frost.. i'll be keeping an eye on minima..

I would love to report air or even ground frosts so soon, but unfortunately where I live we don't get frosts until November at the earliest due to the channel still being so warm,especially so this year.

Posted

Shap looking favourite to secure England's first frost of the season.  It was 2.6C there this morning and colder is expected. It sounds like there could be plenty of the usual places recording frosts by Saturday morning.

• Like 1