Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

First ground and air frost watch 2022-23 season

Posted
1 hour ago, Aleman said:

Shap looking favourite to secure England's first frost of the season.  It was 2.6C there this morning and colder is expected. It sounds like there could be plenty of the usual places recording frosts by Saturday morning.

Yes Shap often first air frost contender. It's had a ground frost already.

Posted
1 hour ago, Aleman said:

Shap looking favourite to secure England's first frost of the season.  It was 2.6C there this morning and colder is expected. It sounds like there could be plenty of the usual places recording frosts by Saturday morning.

I'm only 7 miles from Shap and it was 4.6º last night. Shap has the advantage of elevation I think, but the disadvantage of being Shap....although the chippy is excellent. 

Posted
4 hours ago, Osbourne One-Nil said:

I'm only 7 miles from Shap and it was 4.6º last night. Shap has the advantage of elevation I think, but the disadvantage of being Shap....although the chippy is excellent. 

Shap is high, located on a plateau about 1000ft. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow/Thunderstorms

My closest frost hollow station to Shap fell to 3.3c this morning around 2am.

Ravenseat sits at 388m asl in a bowl in Upper Swaledale (Yorkshire Dales) and is one of the coldest amateur stations in the UK.

You can see in below image how the wind picking up scuppered any chance of a frost.

ravo11.thumb.PNG.17b5c731058beb279d275f9e7b599bf0.PNG

• Like 2

Posted

I suspect England will see its first air frost of the season early hours of Saturday. Not sure if it will be Shap, or further south say Benson or Pershore. 

Edited by damianslaw

Posted

Shap is forecast 1c tonight according to the Met Office so chance of the first air frost of the Autumn on an official Met Office station.

11 hours ago, Frigid said:

I wonder when the earliest air frost took place. End of August 2020 was quite chilly but don't recall any frosts reported

Problem is air frosts have occurred in the UK in all the summer months so its working out the point of first/last frost from the last cold season and the upcoming one.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Enjoy the weather, you can't take it with you 😎

Record lows for this date in September. ......? 

Posted
1 hour ago, ANYWEATHER said:

Record lows for this date in September. ......? 

15th-6.1 Dalwhinnie (Inverness-shire) 1979

16th-3.5 St Harmon (Powys) 1986

17th-5.1 St Harmon (Powys) 1986

18th-5.0 Tummell Bridge (Perthshire) 1986

19th-5.5 St Harmon (Powys) 1986

Tonight is unlikely to get anywhere close to any date records.

Posted
8 minutes ago, richie3846 said:

15th-6.1 Dalwhinnie (Inverness-shire) 1979

16th-3.5 St Harmon (Powys) 1986

17th-5.1 St Harmon (Powys) 1986

18th-5.0 Tummell Bridge (Perthshire) 1986

19th-5.5 St Harmon (Powys) 1986

Tonight is unlikely to get anywhere close to any date records.

Gosh 1986 was very cold, 4 nights in a row mins below -3 degrees. Struggle yo achieve that in Jan and Feb nowadays. What caused such a cold spell.. came on the back of a cold August.

Shap current leader 2.5 degrees. Would be good to achieve first air frost before equinox, many a year have to wait until after.

• Like 1

Posted
5 minutes ago, damianslaw said:

Gosh 1986 was very cold, 4 nights in a row mins below -3 degrees. Struggle yo achieve that in Jan and Feb nowadays. What caused such a cold spell.. came on the back of a cold August.

Shap current leader 2.5 degrees. Would be good to achieve first air frost before equinox, many a year have to wait until after.

I'm always tempted to think there's little chance of beating these cold records with temps heading upwards, but after last year's frigid spring with record numbers of frosts for some (definitely where I live), I've had to park the thought and accept that extreme events like this 1986 cold, will continue to happen from time to time.

Shap down to 2.5c now (presumably 11pm). The speed of descent seems to have slowed. I don't know how it works up north, but round these parts, cold nights often plateau early on with only slower drops after the plateau (or warm ups!). We'll have to wait and see if an air frost happens, my gut feeling is that it's not going to, but that's just a hunch.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow, thunderstorms, warm summers not too hot.

4.7C here. Probably end up at 1 or 2C by morning.  Missing an air frost but grass frost certainly achieved.

IMG_20220916_234345.jpg

Edited by Frost HoIIow
  • Like 1

Posted
47 minutes ago, richie3846 said:

I'm always tempted to think there's little chance of beating these cold records with temps heading upwards, but after last year's frigid spring with record numbers of frosts for some (definitely where I live), I've had to park the thought and accept that extreme events like this 1986 cold, will continue to happen from time to time.

Shap down to 2.5c now (presumably 11pm). The speed of descent seems to have slowed. I don't know how it works up north, but round these parts, cold nights often plateau early on with only slower drops after the plateau (or warm ups!). We'll have to wait and see if an air frost happens, my gut feeling is that it's not going to, but that's just a hunch.

I may be proved wrong, Shap 1.2c at midnight!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms/Clear and Frosty/Snow Showers

An early first frost of the season here just north of Derby.Not sure what the temperature was but there is ice on the car.

16633991770747264062001366094596.jpg

Edited by Eye to the sky
Wrong photo.

Posted
43 minutes ago, Osbourne One-Nil said:

Dropped to -0.4 here this morning. 

IMG_2636.PNG

Well there you go. Shap went below -1 degrees. Many have seen a ground frost. Keswick close to air frost and currently below 2 degrees. My sensor clearly not working says 7 degrees now.

Always a milestone first air frost.

• Like 2

Posted

Coldest places across the UK overnight.

5B10751A-F8D7-4ADA-B8E8-F715FDFA7F91.thumb.png.112f54bc41a1b0b4a3baa8e5ac758c53.png

Data source: 

MEOPHAMWEATHER.CO.UK

• Like 2

Posted
7 minutes ago, vizzy2004 said:

Coldest places across the UK overnight.

5B10751A-F8D7-4ADA-B8E8-F715FDFA7F91.thumb.png.112f54bc41a1b0b4a3baa8e5ac758c53.png

Data source: 

MEOPHAMWEATHER.CO.UK

Are these official stations. Shap isn't featured for instance. Grisdale at -1.6 degrees very notable. Cumbria features high. 

Posted
10 minutes ago, damianslaw said:

Are these official stations. Shap isn't featured for instance. Grisdale at -1.6 degrees very notable. Cumbria features high. 

It’s interesting to see Alston on there. I’ve always wondered why Alston and the places around there, Nenthead, Nenthall, Garrigil etc don’t feature more often as overnight cold spots. They certainly feel colder than anywhere else round here, the car always says they’re colder and they often have snow when nowhere else does. I thought there maybe just wasnt anyone recording it?! Or that the Pennines hold/attract so much cloud it holds minima up. 

Posted
13 minutes ago, damianslaw said:

Sorry should of stated these are all amateur stations.

Heres a good map showing all stations that fell below freezing across the UK. 

08A80ACF-5031-444D-B7DC-915236CF6027.thumb.jpeg.153d71328450df94f04c39dee776ae41.jpeg

Image courtesy of Highland Weather on FB.

• Like 3