Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

The Cold Haters Club 22/23

RJBingham

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and dry, thunderstorms, mild temps (13-22°C).
10 hours ago, East Lancs Rain said:

I know it’s such bad timing. It’s Sod’s law that we have a decade of mostly mild winters, then right in the middle of an energy/cost of living crisis, we suddenly get a severely cold spell of weather.

Yes so typical, I had a feeling this might happen, thankfully im coping Ok, though my inside temps aren't quite as high as Ideal (except the bedroom which I need ventilated at night). Since getting fitter I'm more cold and warm tolerant though. 14 stone muscly people tend to be pretty warm blooded as well! 

I tried applying for the "warm home discount" this year but was not eligible unfortunately!

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Not too hot, not too cold
11 hours ago, matty40s said:

I've managed to keep a max of 27c and a min of 18 with a running 4 degree mean over the last 7 days out of a 5kw solid fuel stove with 2 fans in a 70ft x 7ft narrowboat.

Stoke and riddle the stove twice a day and plonk some extra nuggets on top when going to bed. Empty the ash can daily.

Current status is..

Could contain: Text, Person, Computer Hardware, Hardware, Electronics

That’s very low indoor humidity! 😮 My indoor humidity is practically double that!

4 hours ago, markyo said:

You have won your bet! 😉

You are bonkers lol. 🩳❄️🤪 Have your legs turned blue yet? 🥶

3 hours ago, Sunny76 said:

I have covid, so it the current weather makes me feel even colder than usual.

I like the cold frosty weather, but I don’t like it when I’m standing on a station platform at 6am freezing my behind off in 0-5c.

More people struggle in this cold, compared to the heatwave conditions of plus 30c last summer.

And as for heating your home, I have two radiators on full blast right now. I can’t sit in the flat without heating. It’s too cold, even when it’s the average 10-13c.

I can’t wait for next summer and 30c days. 

I don’t like either extreme tbh. Just give me 10-20°C, some sunshine and fair weather cloud and I am happy.

1 hour ago, ThunderHellCat said:

Yes so typical, I had a feeling this might happen, thankfully im coping Ok, though my inside temps aren't quite as high as Ideal (except the bedroom which I need ventilated at night). Since getting fitter I'm more cold and warm tolerant though. 14 stone muscly people tend to be pretty warm blooded as well! 

I tried applying for the "warm home discount" this year but was not eligible unfortunately!

I am 15.5 stone now, not very muscly but the extra weight definitely helps to keep you warmer! The downside is it also makes you feel hotter in summer too! 🥵

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes n snow
29 minutes ago, East Lancs Rain said:

That’s very low indoor humidity! 😮 My indoor humidity is practically double that!

It does rise a bit when we are cooking, and the bedroom and bathroom are about 50-70 on average.

• Like 1
  • Insightful 1

Posted
2 hours ago, East Lancs Rain said:

I don’t like either extreme tbh. Just give me 10-20°C, some sunshine and fair weather cloud and I am happy.

I am 15.5 stone now, not very muscly but the extra weight definitely helps to keep you warmer! The downside is it also makes you feel hotter in summer too! 🥵

15 stone. I wish I was more tbh. I would like to be 9 but i'm stuck at 7stone 6. Hubby says eat more. Tummy says no space 😞 I used to be just under 13 stone then got scared for my health and lost the lot and kept loosing. But would love to be around 9 stone again.

• Like 2

Posted
3 hours ago, East Lancs Rain said:

I've noticed that as well, I don't want anything over 25°C in summer really, specially when out running or cycling up hills, one gets very hot! 

As you see in my preferences, I like 13-22°C, with a mix of cloud/sun as well so we're similar in that regard but I like even milder in winter. I'd like a lot more thunderstorms though in general than the UK gets.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...
29 minutes ago, *Stormforce~beka* said:

15 stone. I wish I was more tbh. I would like to be 9 but i'm stuck at 7stone 6. Hubby says eat more. Tummy says no space 😞 I used to be just under 13 stone then got scared for my health and lost the lot and kept loosing. But would love to be around 9 stone again.

You've reminded me of a friend my daughter had (and hopefully still does have) up in Scotty -- the country I still call 'home' -- who could pull her skin off in ways I can only guess at... 

• Like 1

Posted

Desperately require a high pressure to set up over France Spain and fetch SW winds up from the Azores. A bit like 88/89. No frost. No snow. No ice. Always said it. High pressure can do one until Spring/Summer when it is useful. 80 days till Spring. Tick tock. 

• Like 6

Posted

Light at the end of the tunnel. Max 9c early next week with min of 7c. Can't come soon enough. Today in Dudley a heavy slow moving snow event occured for about an hour / hour and a half this morning. 2 inches of snow fell. Awful. Pavements are now treacherous death traps. Likely will be about for another week. Slow thaw in day. Freeze at night. Still. Another 7 days towards Spring.

• Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...
1 minute ago, NEVES SCREAMER said:

Light at the end of the tunnel. Max 9c early next week with min of 7c. Can't come soon enough. Today in Dudley a heavy slow moving snow event occured for about an hour / hour and a half this morning. 2 inches of snow fell. Awful. Pavements are now treacherous death traps. Likely will be about for another week. Slow thaw in day. Freeze at night. Still. Another 7 days towards Spring.

What a bunch of 'shining wits' you guys are!🤣

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish plumes & stormy winters. Facebook @ Lance's Lightning Shots

Well, this is grim. Freezing temps, barely any daylight AND I've now come down with the dreaded lurgie that's been going round (cheers, colleagues at the Xmas doo on Friday).

Saving graces right now are the fact that we have a log burner, and that the models are showing consensus on one hell of a southwesterly fetch kicking the cold into touch from next Sunday. I remember the last time we switched from sub-zero to >10C overnight and the air was like a delicious mild soup the following morning in the warm sector after a front made it through. Well up for some more of that, but a week at minimum of this to get through first.

• Like 5

Posted

Yup, yup this weather is all a bit poo really, thanks to the ice I was unable to see my dear old mother today. Not the mention the banknotes flying out of my nose for the energy bill, and for cooler indoor temps than ideal.

• Like 1

Posted
1 hour ago, Azazel said:

It’s freezing and I don’t like it. Pretty though 

Have to admit i'm starting to get to the not liking it stage. It's no good without snow!

• Like 1

Posted
5 hours ago, NEVES SCREAMER said:

Light at the end of the tunnel. Max 9c early next week with min of 7c. Can't come soon enough.

That will feel fantastic 👍

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms

I shall have a fleeting pass in here, This year I have such a huge love hate relationship with the snow and cold. I really do love the clean white land scape that snow and frost produces, I love playing out in it, driving in it (I am a HGV driver) etc.

However I equally love coming into a worry free warm house afterwards and to just stare across the fields at the wonderland, well here is my hate now, the balance of cost and heat is really bad, and I do ok for money, savings etc. So for many others it must be dire.

So I guess I really am hating the cold, unless it can quickly produce some good feet deep snow to redeem it self then go away quickly lmao.

Edited by Petorious
  • Like 3

Posted
8 hours ago, Petorious said:

I shall have a fleeting pass in here, This year I have such a huge love hate relationship with the snow and cold. I really do love the clean white land scape that snow and frost produces, I love playing out in it, driving in it (I am a HGV driver) etc.

However I equally love coming into a worry free warm house afterwards and to just stare across the fields at the wonderland, well here is my hate now, the balance of cost and heat is really bad, and I do ok for money, savings etc. So for many others it must be dire.

So I guess I really am hating the cold, unless it can quickly produce some good feet deep snow to redeem it self then go away quickly lmao.

Yea this is where I am this year. I a massive cold lover when it produces the goods and pretty snow. But my heating keeps clicking on every half hour or so and I keep thinking about all the money lost! I don't mind a short cold spell but I think it really needs to stop now!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine and 15-25c

looking at the models ..this could turn out to be severely cold December here..already have mean temp sitting at -17.2c for the month.. highest temp this month so far is -2c which was on the 4th and looks like it gets even colder in the run up to Xmas with temps back down close to -40c for a fair few days 🥶

Edited by cheeky_monkey
  • Like 3
  • Insightful 1

Posted
2 hours ago, cheeky_monkey said:

looking at the models ..this could turn out to be severely cold December here..already have mean temp sitting at -17.2c for the month.. highest temp this month so far is -2c which was on the 4th and looks like it gets even colder in the run up to Xmas with temps back down close to -40c for a fair few days 🥶

How on earth does the house stay warm in temperatures that low?!

• Like 1

Posted

Working from home today in long sleeve polo kneck jumper/wooly jumper/hooded tracksuit top/fleece/wooly hat/thermal socks tucked in to trousers/thermal slippers / sleeping bag zipped up over legs. Don't you just love the persishing cold ???

• Like 5

Posted

I'm lucky that in this coldest winter for years coinciding with the energy crisis, I find myself more cold tolerant than ever before, maybe due to being more muscular and fitter, as I have done weight training these past few years. But also for medical reasons I less cope with warmth and more with cold. 

It is interesting how the body changes as one gets older. I was so underweight when I was 20 years old, many years ago, that I had to put the heating on over 22°C, which as extremely wasteful (this was in an old house so very expensive for the time!) or I'd be freezing! 

• Insightful 1

Posted
6 hours ago, *Stormforce~beka* said:

How on earth does the house stay warm in temperatures that low?!

good insulation most home here are wood frame construction..its not got above -20c today and i turned of my heating at 5.30am at +21c when i get home at 5.30pm it will still be +18c in my house

• Like 2
  • Insightful 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, sleet, Snow
4 minutes ago, cheeky_monkey said:

good insulation most home here are wood frame construction..its not got above -20c today and i turned of my heating at 5.30am at +21c when i get home at 5.30pm it will still be +18c in my house

Old houses in the UK bake you in the summer and freeze you in the winter.

Posted
3 minutes ago, lassie23 said:

Old houses in the UK bake you in the summer and freeze you in the winter.

the downside here ..once my house does heat up in the summer its is difficult to cool even with AC

• Like 2
  • Insightful 1