9 hours ago, philglossop said:

Well this has changed in recent days. EQBO here we come

Could contain: Chart, Plot

Will it, won't it this time?!

Posted
On 31/03/2023 at 15:29, Don said:

Will it, won't it this time?!

Could contain: Chart

I think it should. No sign of any anomalous easterlies at 40hpa this time around. At least one thing that should be in our favour in winter 2023/24. Next one to look out for is the Atlantic SSTA tripole in May although I don't know how much truth there is in that theory.

• Like 2

Posted
18 hours ago, SqueakheartLW said:

Could contain: Chart

I think it should. No sign of any anomalous easterlies at 40hpa this time around. At least one thing that should be in our favour in winter 2023/24. Next one to look out for is the Atlantic SSTA tripole in May although I don't know how much truth there is in that theory.

Looking good so far!  Main issue for winter 2023/24 is ENSO where strong El Nino basin wide events tend to (along with climate change these days) override other teleconnections.

Edited by Don
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Misty Autumn Mornings, Thunderstorms and snow

I have to say, given the weather in recent times - we’re unlikely to see all the stars Aline and give us cold winter. But you never know- a few outliers will always occur! 

• Like 1

Posted
11 hours ago, philglossop said:

I have to say, given the weather in recent times - we’re unlikely to see all the stars Aline and give us cold winter. But you never know- a few outliers will always occur! 

2009-2010 was a surprise hit, don't recall many long range forecasts going for such a cold winter, alas there were hints the atmosphere was changing somewhat in 08-09 and there was a marked shift in the jetstream - much more southerly summer 07, with a blip in the winter of 07-08.

December 2010 was a real outlier - an oddity, and I expect we may well see such outliers again.

Edited by damianslaw

Posted
14 minutes ago, damianslaw said:

2009-2010 was a surprise hit, don't recall many long range forecasts going for such a cold winter, alas there were hints the atmosphere was changing somewhat in 08-09 and there was a marked shift in the jetstream - much more southerly summer 07, with a blip in the winter of 07-08.

December 2010 was a real outlier - an oddity, and I expect we may well see such outliers again.

The Met Office went for a milder than average winter for 2009/10.  However, I believe Netweather's long range forecaster at the time (Glacier Point) went for colder than average, need I say anymore??!!

Edited by Don
  • Like 1

Posted
7 minutes ago, Mapantz said:

Still waiting for that torpedo..

Winter 2015/16?

• 2 weeks later...
Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot & Sunny, Cold & Snowy

So when was the 'Final Warming'?

Posted
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet
1 hour ago, Gray-Wolf said:

So when was the 'Final Warming'?

Not yet occured. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm and dry, or very cold. See my profile for model trivia

Hi strat watchers, I have a question. Why is it that although the weakening and eventual final warming of the strat polar vortex in the Spring lead to a weakening of westerly flows in the troposphere (as an SSW does), this effect expires in the Summer, months before the strat PV re-forms in the Autumn?

Posted
1 minute ago, RainAllNight said:

Hi strat watchers, I have a question. Why is it that although the weakening and eventual final warming of the strat polar vortex in the Spring lead to a weakening of westerly flows in the troposphere (as an SSW does), this effect expires in the Summer, months before the strat PV re-forms in the Autumn?

Good question! 🤷‍♂️

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storm, drizzle
10 minutes ago, RainAllNight said:

Likely because in Spring there is still some wave forcing parameters that link the Trop up to the Strat so Wavebreraking still occurs bringing down the Nino response in the Troposphere and it all gets rather complicated but a strong atmospheric Nino is accompanied by westerly wind bursts in the ENSO area with a retracting Pacific jet and a retracting Pacific jet results in an extending Atlantic jet. Wave reflecting is significantly less in the Summer and the Hadley cell naturally tends to expand anyway.

Edited by Eagle Eye
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm and dry, or very cold. See my profile for model trivia
1 hour ago, Eagle Eye said:

Likely because in Spring there is still some wave forcing parameters that link the Trop up to the Strat so Wavebreraking still occurs bringing down the Nino response in the Troposphere and it all gets rather complicated but a strong atmospheric Nino is accompanied by westerly wind bursts in the ENSO area with a retracting Pacific jet and a retracting Pacific jet results in an extending Atlantic jet. Wave reflecting is significantly less in the Summer and the Hadley cell naturally tends to expand anyway.

So in short, in Summer, it doesn't matter what the strat is doing because activity in the troposphere would dictate what is going on in that season regardless?

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
Posted

Good news for snowy winter lovers although it doesn't guarantee this will be the case

image.thumb.png.496ed4d300e51d4204f64d7ddd07df24.pngimage.thumb.png.cb9f1f16b9af1498eec8ac0a328c3509.png

I spy the start of the EQBO. At least we appear to have passed the test for the first time since 2014, we've had no failure of the EQBO and have seen a normal descent down to 30hpa.

Still can't believe it has been nearly 10 years since we last transitioned properly from a WQBO to an EQBO after the normal (approx. 1 year) of WQBO.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: All 4 seasons and a good mixture of everything and anything!
1 hour ago, SqueakheartLW said:

Good news for snowy winter lovers although it doesn't guarantee this will be the case

image.thumb.png.496ed4d300e51d4204f64d7ddd07df24.pngimage.thumb.png.cb9f1f16b9af1498eec8ac0a328c3509.png

I spy the start of the EQBO. At least we appear to have passed the test for the first time since 2014, we've had no failure of the EQBO and have seen a normal descent down to 30hpa.

Still can't believe it has been nearly 10 years since we last transitioned properly from a WQBO to an EQBO after the normal (approx. 1 year) of WQBO.

I think mid 17 to mid 18 and mid 21 to mid 22 had EQBOs but I'm guessing the point (I think) you're making is that both of these came off the back of strange prolonged WQBOs (as was the case in 2017) or EQBO which never got going followed by a quick WQBO (2021).

Posted
2 hours ago, StretfordEnd1996 said:

I think mid 17 to mid 18 and mid 21 to mid 22 had EQBOs but I'm guessing the point (I think) you're making is that both of these came off the back of strange prolonged WQBOs (as was the case in 2017) or EQBO which never got going followed by a quick WQBO (2021).

When was the last El Nino east qbo combo?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: All 4 seasons and a good mixture of everything and anything!
9 hours ago, damianslaw said:

Last one would of been around 2014 through to 2015. 

EQBO began around June 2014, and persisted until around June 2015. El Nino conditions began around Fall 2014 and persisted for the duration of the EQBO, but this El Nino was very weak (eventually strengthening considerably after the EQBO). 

Prior to this, we had an EQBO from around June 2009 to July 2010, which coincided with a relatively moderate El Nino which persisted throughout a similar timeframe. 

And the one before this you then have to go back to 1991-1992 - which was very akin to 2009-2010 in terms of start/end dates of both the EQBO and El Nino conditions. 

86ish to-87 similar 

Posted

Winter 1987 saw a moderate El Nino and -QBO. .

Winter 1992 saw a strong El Nino and -QBO

Winter 2010 saw a strong El Nino and -QBO

There were a few which got close or never coupled. 

Winter 1980 saw a weak El Nino and -QBO but both events were weakening.

Winter 1998 saw a strong El Nino and the -QBO event beginning but weak.

Winter 2003 and 2005 saw the weak El Nino events ending as the -QBO was beginning and weak. 

Winter 2015 saw a weak El Nino and strong -QBO event.

Note that the MEI index suggests that the 2015 and 2005 events were not coupled with the atmosphere (warm-neutral MEI value). 

13 hours ago, damianslaw said:

• Insightful 1

Posted

Thanks for that, so closest analogue for upcoming year is 2009-10 if we see a moderate El Nino at least.

I am seeing some similiarities with current synoptics and those of July 09. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: heat and cold, storms and blizzards...zonal a no no

Recretos published this earlier discussing the relationship with an El Nino and an EQBO this coming winter

weather-winter-season-qbo-stratosphere-e
WWW.SEVERE-WEATHER.EU

Winter Weather in the United States, Canada and Europe will be influenced by the changing wind anomalies in the Stratosphere over the Tropics

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1