Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Cold mid Octobers 92 and 93

damianslaw

Posted

There were a pair of cold Octobers some 29-30 years ago now in 1992 and 1993.

Oct 92 was consistently cold notably latter part, I think snow fell in northern parts.

Oct 93 I remember a very frosty spell mid month. Shap recorded -9 degrees, some winters fail to deliver such a low.

Please share memories and stats of these months. 

Edited by damianslaw

Posted

Yeah I remember both Octobers, mostly for their sunny dry and cold days.

At the time, I remember it being a fairly commonplace for October to have at least a week or two when temps would be cold enough to need a hat and possibly gloves. 

I remember some cold days in October 1991,  but 92 and 93 were cold and 93 was already very cold during September.

The cold October theme didn’t continue in 1994, with a switch to warm and sunny weather, especially the second week where it was 19-21c with long clear sunny spells.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow, thunderstorms, warm summers not too hot.

Certainly cold years for October. Even more unusual being back to back I guess. In both we didn't get above 10C from the middle of these months right through to the end. In Oct 1993 we had a minimum temp of -7C on the morning of the 17th (coldest morning of those two October's). The previous day we didn't get higher than 5C. Had many a day in January milder than that. Also had 3 days in Oct 1992 that never risen above 5C too. Overall here there was 14 air frosts in Oct 1992 and 10 in the following October. Extraordinary really. Anyone know the CET for these October's?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes the unusual and interesting facts
22 hours ago, Frost HoIIow said:

Certainly cold years for October. Even more unusual being back to back I guess. In both we didn't get above 10C from the middle of these months right through to the end. In Oct 1993 we had a minimum temp of -7C on the morning of the 17th (coldest morning of those two October's). The previous day we didn't get higher than 5C. Had many a day in January milder than that. Also had 3 days in Oct 1992 that never risen above 5C too. Overall here there was 14 air frosts in Oct 1992 and 10 in the following October. Extraordinary really. Anyone know the CET for these October's?

The cet for October 1992 was 7.8 joint with 1974 but the coldest of 20th century was 1905 at 7.1 deg.

In comparison here the nearest met office gives 1992 as 6.9 deg with 1993 at 7.45

Posted

I remember some harsh frosts around the middle of October 1992 and October 1993 generally being on the cold side.