Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Warm years with poor summers

Greyhound81

There does not seem to be many years when we have had a poor summer, but the rest of the year has been warm.

2011 is certainly one example.  Most of the year temperatures were above average apart from the 3 summer months (June was ok, July and August were awful).  There were 2 very warm spells in April and late September/early October.  2007 was also a very warm year (12th in the CET), but the summer was nothing to write home about.  Maybe 2002 as well?  Can't really think of any more years.

Does anyone have any more examples?

Posted
On 10/10/2022 at 22:34, Greyhound81 said:

There does not seem to be many years when we have had a poor summer, but the rest of the year has been warm.

2011 is certainly one example.  Most of the year temperatures were above average apart from the 3 summer months (June was ok, July and August were awful).  There were 2 very warm spells in April and late September/early October.  2007 was also a very warm year (12th in the CET), but the summer was nothing to write home about.  Maybe 2002 as well?  Can't really think of any more years.

Does anyone have any more examples?

1998, that summer was poor for the 1990s.

For me, three factors come into as regards to summer, warmth, rain days and sunshine.  So, a summer like 2020 which was overall above average temperature wise but was poor because of rain days and lack of sunshine. 

2004 was a poor summer but had above average temperatures.

• 8 months later...
Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heat, sun and thunderstorms in summer. Cold sunny days and snow in winter

Only year that comes to mind is 2011. It was quite a warm year overall, but had a meh summer.

Posted

2014 and 2020 spring to mind. Summer 2014 was quite bad for warmth, the max here was 27C which is almost unheard of these days. August 2014 was the coolest since 1993. Summer 2020 was a mixed summer. June was average with a warm final week. July was anything but summer, except that freakish warm final day. And August had a very warm first half, with a very cool second half. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine and 15-25c

1988? horrendous summer wet and cool but the rest of the year was above average 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.
3 hours ago, Frigid said:

2014 and 2020 spring to mind. Summer 2014 was quite bad for warmth, the max here was 27C which is almost unheard of these days. August 2014 was the coolest since 1993. Summer 2020 was a mixed summer. June was average with a warm final week. July was anything but summer, except that freakish warm final day. And August had a very warm first half, with a very cool second half. 

Wouldn't call summer 2014 poor overall though. 2 out of 3 warm sunny months ain't bad. No notable heat but just homogenously very warm to hot a lot of the time. It's just a shame how shockingly bad August was.

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold winters and cool summers.

Using the traditional and common meaning of a poor summer, I would say warm years with poor summers would be:

2015, 2011, 2007, 2004, 2002, 1998, 1988, 1957 (Became poor after June), 1948, 1828.

I'd also be willing to add 2020 to that list because I think cloudy, unsettled weather prevailed over the hot spells. In the north, July 2020 was one of the dullest and coldest summer months I have memory of (I come from Kent). August 2020 was also very unsettled and not an overly warm month in the north of which they never tapped into the heat early in the month, so just a straight up wet and dull month there.

Edited by LetItSnow!
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Bright weather. Warm sunny thundery summers, short cold winters.

No surprise that 2011 was my first thought as well.

From March to November inclusive, the only three poor months were... June, July and August. All moderately cool, dull and wet - though none of the invididual months were as terrible as say June 2012 or 2016, July 2007 or 2009, or August 2008. The issue with summer 2011 was the longevity, rather than the intensity, of the unsettled weather.

Probably agree about the other examples as well.

Edited by Summer8906

Posted
On 12/10/2022 at 05:54, Weather-history said:

1998, that summer was poor for the 1990s.

For me, three factors come into as regards to summer, warmth, rain days and sunshine.  So, a summer like 2020 which was overall above average temperature wise but was poor because of rain days and lack of sunshine. 

2004 was a poor summer but had above average temperatures.

2004 and 2002. Warm summers but mostly cloudy, so just as bad as a cool cloudy summer.

2015, 16, 19 and 20.

On 22/06/2023 at 17:45, LetItSnow! said:

Using the traditional and common meaning of a poor summer, I would say warm years with poor summers would be:

2015, 2011, 2007, 2004, 2002, 1998, 1988, 1957 (Became poor after June), 1948, 1828.

I'd also be willing to add 2020 to that list because I think cloudy, unsettled weather prevailed over the hot spells. In the north, July 2020 was one of the dullest and coldest summer months I have memory of (I come from Kent). August 2020 was also very unsettled and not an overly warm month in the north of which they never tapped into the heat early in the month, so just a straight up wet and dull month there.

The poor warm summer seemed to become a thing from 1988 onwards.

Posted
On 22/06/2023 at 16:48, MP-R said:

Wouldn't call summer 2014 poor overall though. 2 out of 3 warm sunny months ain't bad. No notable heat but just homogenously very warm to hot a lot of the time. It's just a shame how shockingly bad August was.

2014 was a good summer despite the poor August .

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: In summer, a decent thunderstorm, and hot weather. In winter, snow or gale
3 minutes ago, Sunny76 said:

The funny thing about June and July 2014 was they were actually a great pair of summer months but really lacked any extremes.  June didn't exceed 80F at all, and July only had 2 days above 30C.  The least said about that August the better!  Even summer 2012 had more days above 30C than 2014.

2011 had great 'summer' synoptics in April, and late september to October.  Had these heatwaves occured in the summer I think 35C plus was on the cards.  The actual summer synoptics though were terrible generally.

Posted
1 hour ago, Sunny76 said:

2004 and 2002. Warm summers but mostly cloudy, so just as bad as a cool cloudy summer.

2015, 16, 19 and 20.

The poor warm summer seemed to become a thing from 1988 onwards.

Only August was rather warm in 2002 coming in at +1.3C above the longterm average. June was average and July quite cool, particularly in the first half. 

Compared to the modern average June was -0.3C below, July was -1.1C below and August +0.5C above. 

Posted
13 minutes ago, LetItSnow! said:

Only August was rather warm in 2002 coming in at +1.3C above the longterm average. June was average and July quite cool, particularly in the first half. 

Compared to the modern average June was -0.3C below, July was -1.1C below and August +0.5C above. 

2002 is a year best forgotten. The most boring year ever. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.
5 hours ago, Sunny76 said:

By the skin of its teeth… 

August was dire.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, heat, thunderstorms
16 hours ago, MP-R said:

By the skin of its teeth… 

August was dire.

August 2014 had an average high of 19.4C here. It was shockingly bad. The highest temperature all month was 24C. 

Edited by cheese

Posted
28 minutes ago, cheese said:

August 2014 had an average high of 19.4C here. It was shockingly bad. The highest temperature all month was 24C. 

I'd forgotten how poor 2014 was for higher temperatures. Looking through my records, only 14 days surpassed 23C in the entire year - the last of which was 8th August. The summer had just three days above 25C and the absolute max was 26.5C.

The only positives from that summer were that June was dry and July very sunny (248 hours), but that's about it.

Posted
Just now, reef said:

I'd forgotten how poor 2014 was for higher temperatures. Looking through my records, only 14 days surpassed 23C in the entire year - the last of which was 8th August. The summer had just three days above 25C and the absolute max was 26.5C.

The only positives from that summer were that June was dry and July very sunny (248 hours), but that's about it.

I moved out of my house in Devon in late July 2014, it was crazy hot. The poor removal guys were bright red by the end of the day. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, heat, thunderstorms
3 minutes ago, reef said:

2014 is the only year here in the past 10 years that hasn’t exceeded 30C.

Edited by cheese

Posted
1 minute ago, Cakie said:

I moved out of my house in Devon in late July 2014, it was crazy hot. The poor removal guys were bright red by the end of the day. 

The last week of July and first week of August was the warmest spell I think. The 26th July was the warmest day of the summer here when it reached 26.5C. The days after were generally 22-25C.

Posted
19 minutes ago, reef said:

And there was a decent overnight storm on a Thursday after the World Cup finished. We also saw some distant storms on the Friday.

Not sure of the dates. Was mid July.

Posted
15 minutes ago, reef said:

The last week of July and first week of August was the warmest spell I think. The 26th July was the warmest day of the summer here when it reached 26.5C. The days after were generally 22-25C.

I think that was the day. We were moving overseas so it had to be the last day of school. Thankfully a neighbour cooked us a BBQ that night, I was in no state to think, let alone cook

• Like 2

Posted

I feel like 2002 and 2014 share a similar feature in the sense that they were often consistently mild to warm years with little extremes in temperatures. I think the highest temperature in both years was 32C, about average then but modest by today's standards.

Posted
On 25/06/2023 at 15:22, Cakie said:

Was 2014 the year of the cold blob to our west and north west, atlantic flow colder than normal.

I recall it was quite a pleasant summer, plenty of fine warm sunny weather, July in particular. August was quite poor from memory though. The summers of 14-17 are fading into memory though, no real highlights, bookended by the excellent July 13 and superb summer of 2018, best since 1995.

Posted
1 hour ago, damianslaw said:

Was 2014 the year of the cold blob to our west and north west, atlantic flow colder than normal.

I recall it was quite a pleasant summer, plenty of fine warm sunny weather, July in particular. August was quite poor from memory though. The summers of 14-17 are fading into memory though, no real highlights, bookended by the excellent July 13 and superb summer of 2018, best since 1995.

It was the start of it. The cold blob was at its most powerful into 2015. The winter of 2014/2015 was the most westerly ever yet temperatures weren't far from average. 2015 was actually running rather cool if it wasn't for that pesky November/December combo from hell... If we get a strong El Nino I wonder do we have to worry about the liklihood of a repeat.

Posted

2002 - July was the coldest locally for me since 1988 and there was a cooler one until 2012. June and august were both quite warm but a very wet and dull summer.

2004 - June was wet, July was however rather dry but quite cool and dull. August was exceptionally wet but was a very warm month. A wet and dull summer but a rather warm one

2007 - June and July were both very wet and dull. July was also rather cool, august was cool but wasn’t too wet and it was a bit sunnier than average but a very poor summer nonetheless.

2011 - June was wet and cool, July was the same but respectable in terms of sunshine, August was horrendous.

2020 - June was wet and dull but again was rather warm. July was generally cool and wet and the second half of august is probably one of the worst summer spells I can remember.