Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model Output Discussion - Deeper into Autumn

Message added by Paul,

With winter now almost upon us, the model thread is getting ever busier, and as such it's important to keep it on topic. So, please keep your posts to discussing the model output, and for more general winter weather chat please use the winter thread

Posted

Just to continue the discussion from the old thread about next weekend. The 850hPa temps shown by the GFS for next Sunday are considerably higher than what we saw in late October 2014.

In fact Thursday looks very similar indeed to Halloween 2014, yet it's put in the shade by what is being shown for the weekend.

GFSOPEU12_102_2.pngAVN_1_2014103100_1.pngAVN_1_2014103100_2.png

Currently most sites are predicting around 20C at best for Thursday- I imagine 22C would be likely and possibly higher in such a setup.

Edited by Scorcher
  • Like 6

Posted
1 minute ago, Scorcher said:

Just to continue the discussion from the old thread about next weekend. The 850hPa temps shown by the GFS for next Sunday are considerably higher than what we saw in late October 2014.

In fact Thursday looks very similar indeed to Halloween 2014, yet it's put in the shade by what is being shown for the weekend.

Could somewhere record 25C if the conditions are right next weekend?!  Would be absolutely exceptional, albeit not entirely surprising given this year so far!!

• Like 8

Posted
2 minutes ago, Don said:

Could somewhere record 25C if the conditions are right next weekend?!  Would be absolutely exceptional, albeit not entirely surprising given this year so far!!

I'm not sure Don- we haven't really seen such a warm airmass before so late in the year so it's difficult to say. You'd have to say it isn't impossible given it's a warmer setup than Halloween 2014.

• Like 5

Posted
20 minutes ago, Scorcher said:

I'm not sure Don- we haven't really seen such a warm airmass before so late in the year so it's difficult to say. You'd have to say it isn't impossible given it's a warmer setup than Halloween 2014.

Yes, that must be a record breaking warm airmass being shown for this time of year?  I think 25C could well be achieved if it's sunny, just going by what happened in 2014.

• Like 1

Posted
54 minutes ago, Scorcher said:

GFSOPEU12_102_2.pngAVN_1_2014103100_1.pngAVN_1_2014103100_2.png

Currently most sites are predicting around 20C at best for Thursday- I imagine 22C would be likely and possibly higher in such a setup.

Foehn effect could come into play. North coast of Wales such as Llandundno to Aber Falls could be really warm

image.thumb.png.89601dbbd74f468f4674d5f347c69571.png

• Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Northeasterly Blizzard and sub zero temperatures.

Wow that is some block. Not sure I have seen charts like this before. Almost seems supernatural,manufacturing above the forces of nature, outside the ordinary of operations of cause and effect. Everthing the Atlantic offers just buckles around the sun shade that is the British Isles. No sign of a early start to my ski season based on that chart.

c

Could contain:

• Like 8

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...
1 hour ago, Scorcher said:

And lest we forget July's max of 40.3C?

• Like 5

Posted
2 minutes ago, Man With Beard said:

All academic at the moment though, will the pattern hold? The other thing is the need to avoid completely calm conditions, as too calm and the clear blue skies could fill with fog and murk - such a difference between mid-October and early-November in what a big Euro high can do!

This is a really important point- was thinking this myself before.

1st November 2015 was a pretty still day and as a result it was very hit and miss whether you got warm sunshine or dense fog.

That day I recall Manchester city centre (and areas to the east of the city) being sunny and warm, while the airport just to the south was in fog pretty much the whole day and temperatures were suppressed as a result.

More of a breeze would prevent that from happening.

• Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, thunder, hail & heavy snow
21 minutes ago, northwestsnow said:

image.thumb.png.0e2f9f10889079147750ed0b62400b50.png

For someone like myself who enjoys seasonal weather these kind of charts are nothing short of awful.

Weather seems confused about what season it is 😅 Summer wants to keep on fighting back. While it’ll probably change, at least I suppose it would be mainly dry and great walking weather (which admittedly wouldn’t mind). 

I understand for a number of people, it would be nice to see something chillier, or just more seasonal really. 

• Like 5

Posted

Those lows seem to be getting confused and complicated over the Atlantic. I'm off to Morocco this Saturday for a week's surf trip. Is the models under doing the low pressures? There were some big ones predicted from this Sunday 😳 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Location: Ashbourne,County Meath,about 6 miles northwest of dublin airport. 74m ASL
  • Weather Preferences: Cold weather - frost or snow
  • Location: Ashbourne,County Meath,about 6 miles northwest of dublin airport. 74m ASL
1 hour ago, northwestsnow said:

For someone like myself who enjoys seasonal weather these kind of charts are nothing short of awful.

Pretty depressing.  Love seasonal weather myself  Is that hp basically a Bartlett? Or very similar. Only good thing ,good for the heating bills.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, frost and snow

The only positive from a coldies perspective is at least we're seeing this pattern now and it's still well over a month until the start of winter as of yet.

I'd definitely love a seasonal bonfire night etc, but I'd take a mild start to November if it means we can finally see this pattern shift to something more seasonal/colder as we head through November.

If not, well it's just going to be very depressing 😭

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Northeasterly Blizzard and sub zero temperatures.
21 minutes ago, NewEra21 said:

The only positive from a coldies perspective is at least we're seeing this pattern now and it's still well over a month until the start of winter as of yet.

I'd definitely love a seasonal bonfire night etc, but I'd take a mild start to November if it means we can finally see this pattern shift to something more seasonal/colder as we head through November.

If not, well it's just going to be very depressing 😭

Yes, I tend to agree there. I do remember a few cold Novembers were generally followed by a mild winter in the UK.  However, I do have dreaded memories back in the early 70s when mild locked in from November and lasted throughout the whole winter season. Now that is a depressing thought for you guys!  If a Barlett set up gets rooted, forever mild in Southern Britain but strange as it seems it will be good for snowfall coming around its Eastern flank into the Eastern Alps.

C

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm and dry, or very cold. See my profile for model trivia

For anyone else wondering what a Bartlett is... 

Not clear who gave it the name Bartlett though, the only references to it seem to be on weather discussion boards.

• Like 2

Posted
4 hours ago, northwestsnow said:

Coldies might get rewarded in a month's time and these charts will then be forgiven! 😉

• Like 4

Posted
1 hour ago, carinthian said:

Yes, I tend to agree there. I do remember a few cold Novembers were generally followed by a mild winter in the UK.  However, I do have dreaded memories back in the early 70s when mild locked in from November and lasted throughout the whole winter season. Now that is a depressing thought for you guys!  If a Barlett set up gets rooted, forever mild in Southern Britain but strange as it seems it will be good for snowfall coming around its Eastern flank into the Eastern Alps.

C

The seventies? We've had that for about the last 10 years!

• Like 2