Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model Output Discussion - Deeper into Autumn

Message added by Paul,

With winter now almost upon us, the model thread is getting ever busier, and as such it's important to keep it on topic. So, please keep your posts to discussing the model output, and for more general winter weather chat please use the winter thread

Posted
3 hours ago, Scorcher said:

It's not winter though is it. We're in a transitional season. Very similar to cold clinging on in April.

I never said it was winter ?

• Like 4

Posted
7 minutes ago, northwestsnow said:

Just as well really, can you imagine what we would be like with the current weather and temperatures in the high teens, threatening low twenties on the 24th December?!  However, one day that could become a realistic prospect!!

• Like 3

Posted
1 hour ago, northwestsnow said:

I think 99% of forum users understand what you were getting at. On a personal note, I'm happy for these charts to last into November, then we can have a switch once I've saved enough oil 🙂

• Like 9

Posted

well to break the boredom for those that want so called seasonal weather, even though it's still middle of autumn and it's what we are getting, although on the milder than normal side. The last ECMWF 46 day is holding out for higher-than-normal pressure to the north as November progresses. Will be important to see the update later today to see what this looks like in the latest, although it also showed no cold really, but look forward to see if we can get some drier and even frostier weather

Could contain: Plot, Map, Diagram, Atlas

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: All

A spookily 👻 mild end to the month cemented in to the models, even clearly shown in the ensemble means and anomalies, here the 12z GEFS mean at day 7, a southwesterly flow around the low still centred a long way west between Greenland and Iceland. T850s between 3 and 8 degrees or so. 

Could contain: Graphics, Art, Advertisement, Poster, Modern Art Could contain: Drawing, Art, Doodle, Graphics Could contain: Art, Modern Art, Painting, Nature Could contain: Plot

Some renewed signs that the trough will gradually inch eastward by day 12 to be more directly to our north, with more of a westerly or northwesterly influence overall - so still changeable, but not that mild for that long - indeed a fire 🔥 might be needed by then - with T850s between 0 and 3 degrees, the anomaly chart suggesting back to at, or slightly below, the seasonal norm.

Could contain: Graphics, Art Could contain: Drawing, Art Could contain: Painting, Art, Modern Art, Graphics Could contain: Plot

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall.
8 minutes ago, Kirkcaldy Weather said:

d between Halloween and November 5th 🎆 maybe the GFS beginning to go there with the end of today's 12z gfsnh-0-384.png?12

13 minutes ago, Tim Bland said:

PV struggling to get organised. Fast forward from this and it could get interesting… 

Could contain: Nature, Graphics, Art

well i certainly cant think a cross polar flow (or near one) would be a bad thing to start the new season off with (stratospherically or more near term chances).

• Like 8

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Enjoy the weather, you can't take it with you 😎

The so called warm spell has been wiped away from the Ecm, Gfs sniffed it and ditched it, the turnaround from the Synoptics is around the corner. Enjoy the mild, by the time we reach mid November it's cold ,cold cold...😱

• Like 9

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...
3 minutes ago, ANYWEATHER said:

The so called warm spell has been wiped away from the Ecm, Gfs sniffed it and ditched it, the turnaround from the Synoptics is around the corner. Enjoy the mild, by the time we reach mid November it's cold ,cold cold...😱

Will the cold be as record-breaking as what you were predicting in April 2020, do you think?😁

• Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Enjoy the weather, you can't take it with you 😎
28 minutes ago, Ed Stone said:

Will the cold be as record-breaking as what you were predicting in April 2020, do you think?😁

Sit back and Relax Ed, Don't Worry ,Ed it will come!

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: severe storms,snow wind and ice

I will have some of what p27 is on...😉

Could contain: Graphics, ArtCould contain: Painting, Art, Modern Art, Nature

oh,...and p18.

Could contain: Nature, Art, PlotCould contain: Graphics, Art, Modern Art, Painting, Pattern

not out of the rules of possibilities😜

Edited by Allseasons-si
  • Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms

The *very* end of the GFS run is not something to scoff at if you're a cold lover! Admittedly, it's a few weeks out however it starts to show heights building towards Greenland! If this run continued for a few more frames I'm sure we'd see something special.

Could contain: Nature, Electronics, Art, Hurricane, Storm, Graphics, Outdoors

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Posted
35 minutes ago, Liam Burge said:

The *very* end of the GFS run is not something to scoff at if you're a cold lover! Admittedly, it's a few weeks out however it starts to show heights building towards Greenland! If this run continued for a few more frames I'm sure we'd see something special.

Could contain: Nature, Electronics, Art, Hurricane, Storm, Graphics, Outdoors

Defo one for lovers of cold, wet & miserable weather everywhere, is that one, Liam!😁👍

• Like 5

Posted

Signs of changes at last in the output.

Going to be a shock to the system when temps start falling towards  near normal. 

Maybe even dramatic changes as we head into mid-Nov

• Like 5

Posted
19 hours ago, northwestsnow said:

Never said you did. What I meant was there's no point getting frustrated over 'unseasonal' conditions in October. I feel like many people on these forums expect too much too soon in terms of cold weather.

I always feel the odds favour mild over cold right up to the end of October due to the relatively warm Atlantic. This is especially the case this year as SSTs have been exceptionally warm in the North Atlantic.

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extremes of all kinds...

I don’t know about the possible autumn ‘heatwave’ but this little GFS 0z progression for the week beginning 2nd November looks unsettled, wet, windy and even cold at times, to me…

7644D1B8-B0CC-419A-9C34-EA8EBE7ED4A8.thumb.gif.f59d78fb52e3929755ce40d85a77a3fa.gif

Might be a prelude to something a little less Summery, perhaps?

• Like 7

Posted
2 hours ago, tight isobar said:

We got “rattling “ into the layers- things are likely to change in dramatic alleys!. Strat/trop- disturbance is setting in.. the USA will as (ever) see the dripping 💧, @ vortex finding. But disconnect of format puts a probable carve into the polar vortex as a whole @ mid November!! Then things change rapidly... And the notability sways to the euro side... the angular momentum- And warm pocket advection STRENGTH into the arctic is striking heading into early early winter!.. we’ll keep a steady hand 🖐 and watch to see if the beef dripping of layers.. fall on our bread 🥖?!🤘

Could contain: Art, Graphics

Could contain: Art, Graphics

Could contain: Plot, Diagram

Could contain: Plot, Diagram

Could contain: Plot, Map, Diagram, Atlas

What does that mean in layman's terms 

• Like 3

Posted
38 minutes ago, PiscesStar said:

What does that mean in layman's terms 

agree with you there, it just read like a load of gobbledygook to me 🙂

• Like 2

Posted

Aha, there are some signs of a cooldown, according to the Met Office's latest Ten-Day Trend, but (Praise Be to the Great One!) nothing too cold:😇

Edited by Ed Stone
Hic!
  • Like 9

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm and dry, or very cold. See my profile for model trivia
15 minutes ago, Ed Stone said:

Aha, there are some signs of a cooldown, but (Praise Be to the Great One!) nothing too cold:😇

It has been interesting to watch the wording evolve on their signal for a change to a cooler settled pattern, the main edits having been to the timing, which has been pushed back a few times from 'into November' to 'second week of November' to 'mid-November'. I would love to know how they originally picked up on this signal which has been in their day 16-30 forecast for three weeks now, and whether it ties in to anything that knowledgeable members have been posting here.

Could contain: Text, Document, Word, Page

Edited by RainAllNight
  • Like 1