Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model Output Discussion - Deeper into Autumn

Message added by Paul,

With winter now almost upon us, the model thread is getting ever busier, and as such it's important to keep it on topic. So, please keep your posts to discussing the model output, and for more general winter weather chat please use the winter thread

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...
3 minutes ago, RainAllNight said:

It has been interesting to watch the wording evolve on their signal for a change to a cooler settled pattern, the main edits having been to the timing, which has been pushed back a few times from 'into November' to 'second week of November' to 'mid-November'. I would love to know how they originally picked up on this signal which has been in their day 16-30 forecast for three weeks now, and whether it ties in to anything that knowledgeable members have been posting here.

Could contain: Text, Document, Word, Page

Me too! But, sometimes, I just bow to the Met Office's knowledge and experience.😁

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Unseasonably cold weather (at all times of year), wind, and thunderstorms.
15 hours ago, Allseasons-si said:

I will have some of what p27 is on...😉

Could contain: Graphics, ArtCould contain: Painting, Art, Modern Art, Nature

oh,...and p18.

Could contain: Nature, Art, PlotCould contain: Graphics, Art, Modern Art, Painting, Pattern

not out of the rules of possibilities😜

Perhaps I'll be proven wrong, but I can't help but feel that at some point, perhaps in the next decade, we will see a brutal shot of November cold.. PV formation heading into late Autumn seems to be more and more perturbed as the years go on due to ever-increasing excess heat post-Summer*, whilst cold can still build further north as the polar night falls. Our default position in these setups is undoubtedly in mild sectors, but at some point one of these crazy perturbations has to become reality? Thoughts?

*Please let me know if this is a recency bias!

Edited by Relativistic
  • Like 1

Posted
17 minutes ago, Relativistic said:

Perhaps I'll be proven wrong, but I can't help but feel that at some point, perhaps in the next decade, we will see a brutal shot of November cold.. PV formation heading into late Autumn seems to be more and more perturbed as the years go on due to ever-increasing excess heat post-Summer*, whilst cold can still build further north as the polar night falls. Our default position in these setups is undoubtedly in mild sectors, but at some point one of these crazy perturbations has to become reality? Thoughts?

*Please let me know if this is a recency bias!

It happened in Nov 2010!

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storm, drizzle

Just to let you all know that the ECM seems to be going wild in its latest run.

Could contain: Nature, Painting, Art, Outdoors, Plot

In all seriousness,Autumn is a very nothing but everything goes on month, you'll see crazy runs like this but they rarely come to reality even just a week away, it's possible but we've seen this multiple times before especially on the ECM, after a good summer the ECM has found it difficult recently.

• Like 2

Posted

GFS also shows a similar looking low pressure system for 2nd November, likely to be very wet and windy, but the possibility of stormy weather for southern areas if these charts do materialise, interesting track coming more from far to our south than the typical west or southwest. 

Could contain: Modern Art, Art, Graphics

Could contain: Art, Painting, Plot

Could contain: Art

Yeah scrap the higher pressure building close to or over southern areas for the first few days of November. Looking much more mobile and unsettled for all infact more unsettled than the rest of this month..

1615857197_EUROPE_OVERVIEW_216_MOB(3).thumb.jpg.013a85255f5f8fcfe9f74d6343b04707.jpg

but turning cooler than recently, again though possibly more northwesterly winds becoming established for the second week of November with wet and windy weather likely to continue, so plentiful rain about even for southern and eastern England, with snow possibly falling for Scotland later on into the second week perhaps to lower levels too in any heavy bursts of precipitation with signs of the continent also cooling down to a more significant degree. 🙂

Could contain: Nature, Outdoors, Plot

Could contain: Plot, Text

Edited by Jordan S
  • Like 6

Posted
52 minutes ago, tight isobar said:

Fairenuff.. I’ll do a Beano cartoon mag version later !🤔.. let me know when you’ve been bathed n, bottle fed by the missus...n, I’ll apply 🤘🤘

Breast is best ... lol

• Like 7

Posted
6 hours ago, tight isobar said:

We got “rattling “ into the layers- things are likely to change in dramatic alleys!. Strat/trop- disturbance is setting in.. the USA will as (ever) see the dripping 💧, @ vortex finding. But disconnect of format puts a probable carve into the polar vortex as a whole @ mid November!! Then things change rapidly... And the notability sways to the euro side... the angular momentum- And warm pocket advection STRENGTH into the arctic is striking heading into early early winter!.. we’ll keep a steady hand 🖐 and watch to see if the beef dripping of layers.. fall on our bread 🥖?!🤘

Could contain: Art, Graphics

Could contain: Art, Graphics

Could contain: Plot, Diagram

Could contain: Plot, Diagram

Could contain: Plot, Map, Diagram, Atlas

My attempt at translation into layman's terms:

The potential displacement of the stratospheric vortex will, as usual, most likely benefit the continental US.

However, if some seemingly impossible conditions are met, come late November, Europe may get a look in too.

Edited by halny
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Seasonal and interesting weather including summer storms and winter snow

Yes i would think most of the autumn leaves and many of the branches would be blown down in the se if gfs12z verified at day 8..

Could contain: Plot, Nature, Poster, Advertisement, Hurricane, Storm, Map, Diagram

Could contain: Plot

After it looks like gfs wants to create an increasing vortex nw of scotland...mm..

Could contain: Poster, Advertisement, Nature, Plot

Still fairly mild for approx 2/3 rds of run although falling away towards the back end..

Could contain: Electronics, Plot, Oscilloscope

For me. Looking like any change to colder weather will be gradual however that could all change of course...

• Like 7

Posted
2 hours ago, Jordan S said:

GFS also shows a similar looking low pressure system for 2nd November, likely to be very wet and windy, but the possibility of stormy weather for southern areas if these charts do materialise, interesting track coming more from far to our south than the typical west or southwest. 

Could contain: Modern Art, Art, Graphics

Could contain: Art, Painting, Plot

Could contain: Art

Yeah scrap the higher pressure building close to or over southern areas for the first few days of November. Looking much more mobile and unsettled for all infact more unsettled than the rest of this month..

1615857197_EUROPE_OVERVIEW_216_MOB(3).thumb.jpg.013a85255f5f8fcfe9f74d6343b04707.jpg

but turning cooler than recently, again though possibly more northwesterly winds becoming established for the second week of November with wet and windy weather likely to continue, so plentiful rain about even for southern and eastern England, with snow possibly falling for Scotland later on into the second week perhaps to lower levels too in any heavy bursts of precipitation with signs of the continent also cooling down to a more significant degree. 🙂

Could contain: Nature, Outdoors, Plot

Could contain: Plot, Text

Just a hint the trough is setting up to align NW- SE, forcing low pressure to dig south and south east.. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: windy

The GFS looks a bit lost for the first week of Nov. The low is just twirling around Iceland occasionally drifting over us. It's a bit of a stuck pattern at the moment but c'mon...

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extremes of all kinds...

The 500hpa charts for the start of November bear comparison this morning:

1st November 

UKMO                                                            GEM

815C1E31-C05D-411F-A223-7A4456838F20.thumb.gif.2d8f14a1a685a0776042cae5b5a4ea4c.gif    Could contain: Plot

2nd November

GFS.                                                             ECM

Could contain: Plot, Nature, Poster, Advertisement    01FF21CD-20A0-4BF6-861C-C69DC518346E.thumb.gif.d50921322f72f985eb199f06ad4214fe.gif

Still five or six days away - plenty of time for evolution - but it looks like an unsettled, wet and windy start to the month, for the west and north at least.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow in winter, good sun at other times with appropriate rain.
1 hour ago, MAF said:

Having been around here for 18 years, i have learnt a lot about model reading and weather. My point i was trying to make is that there are a lot of viewers of these threads who are novices and find over technical posts difficult to interpret. sometimes posts are so technical they probably get ignored as its too difficult to understand them. with such a diverse audience, i wish sometimes that posters would give explainers with the more complex posts they make 😄 

I agree, but I do love his posts, it’s like trying to do Guardian Cryptic Crossword.  Sometimes I think I get it,  other times it’s 🤷‍♀️

Edited by snefnug
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm and dry, or very cold. See my profile for model trivia

It looks like we might be going to cop it in the early days of November when our European wall of protection finally falls. But might the trough then not be long for this world..?

Could contain: Person, HumanCould contain: Person, Human, Drawing, Art, DoodleCould contain: Person, Human, Art, Drawing, Plot

Could contain: Plot, DiagramCould contain: Plot, DiagramCould contain: Plot, Map, Diagram, Atlas

Could contain: Plot, Diagram, MapCould contain: PlotCould contain: Plot, Diagram

Edited by RainAllNight
  • Like 2

Posted

Is the ENSO not playing ball as expected in la nina base state, should be seeing high pressure mid atlantic and trough to east, yet we have the opposite.. seem to remember in 2020-21 often did the same... behaved more El Nino with amplified jet. Perhaps we may end up with a negatively aligned trough over UK squeezed by heights to NE and west before those to the west take over.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Location: Ashbourne,County Meath,about 6 miles northwest of dublin airport. 74m ASL
  • Weather Preferences: Cold weather - frost or snow
  • Location: Ashbourne,County Meath,about 6 miles northwest of dublin airport. 74m ASL

The latest gfs run 06z ,says no to any change to seasonal weather when there was tentative signs of hope around mid Nov. Hp over Europe even into the far reaches of the run. Only one run but bloody hell,are seasonal temperatures too much to ask for these days?

Could contain: Plot, Poster, Advertisement, Map, Diagram

Edited by sundog
  • Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heat, sun and thunderstorms in summer. Cold sunny days and snow in winter

These charts aren't looking very promising as there still isn't much sign of a return to seasonal temperatures. Any signs just keep getting pushed back, which has been a common occurence during 2022.

If this is the future for our autumns, then I may have to (finances permitting) consider emigrating. 

• Like 3