Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Memories of weather events in Surrey

A Face like Thunder

Posted

If I'm allowed to, I am about to reveal my real self to some of you and all in aid of charity!

In my retirement, I have become a published author and my latest book - Memories of Coulsdon - my Surrey childhood in the 1950s and 1960s - is now available via Waterstones. OK, this book may be of more interest to those who know Coulsdon of old (now in the London Borough of Croydon), however, I have also included reference to a number of local weather events over the years (to 1989) including the snow of April 1950, the smog of December 1962, the winters of 1961/2 and 1962/3, the floods of September 1968, the White Christmas of 1970, the summers of 1975 and 1976, the storm of 6th August 1981, the snow of December 1981 and, of course, the Great Storm of 16th October 1987. Most of these events are supported by photos from the time. 

The book is retailing at (UK) £12.99 and all proceeds will be donated to Diabetes UK and MIND in Croydon to support their work in the national and local communities. Key in 'Memories of Coulsdon' in the Waterstones search engine (no need to log in) and a green-covered book, with my sister and I in our back garden, should appear. Waterstones have a shop, click & collect and worldwide online distribution service.

Thank you!

• Like 4

Posted

Do you have any photos of Christmas Day 1987 lol. It wasn’t a notable weather event, but I will always remember that day for how springlike and sunny it was. A very strange experience at the time but also interesting.

Posted
14 hours ago, Sunny76 said:

Do you have any photos of Christmas Day 1987 lol. It wasn’t a notable weather event, but I will always remember that day for how springlike and sunny it was. A very strange experience at the time but also interesting.

Yes, I have one with members of my family squinting in the warm but low sun behind the camera. A complete contrast with Christmas Day 1981 (also photographed) when my family posed in the snow! 

Posted
On 06/11/2022 at 11:50, A Face like Thunder said:

Yes, I have one with members of my family squinting in the warm but low sun behind the camera. A complete contrast with Christmas Day 1981 (also photographed) when my family posed in the snow! 

I would love to see that.

I remember my family had the balcony door open that afternoon, 1pm and bright blue skies with no clouds. 

Posted
On 05/11/2022 at 21:06, Sunny76 said:

Christmas Day 1988 always stands out from my childhood as being exceptionally mild!!

Posted
11 hours ago, Don said:

Christmas Day 1988 always stands out from my childhood as being exceptionally mild!!

Yes it was, but it was a very mild cloudy day, similar to Christmas 2015.

1987 had the very rare combination of feeling warm with clear blue skies and sunshine.

I remember it well, even though I was only 11 at the time. 

Edited by Sunny76