Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Winter 2022-23 : Forecasts and Discussions

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder , Lightning , Snow , Blizzards

I think most cold weather lovers would take a 09/10 ‘’lite’ given half a chance !!!

thanks for sharing @Kirkcaldy Weather , intriguing blog 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Posted
13 hours ago, Sceptical said:

Put me down for my usual punt.

Temperatures at, or slightly above average. Any snow will mostly be confined to the Scottish mountains.

And the Shropshire Hills, come on?!! 😏

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extremes

Ian Fergusson on our local weather forecast just mentioned the risk of something colder through December. 

• Like 1

Posted
3 minutes ago, John88B said:

Ian Fergusson on our local weather forecast just mentioned the risk of something colder through December. 

The thing is John "something colder" for 'us', locally, is 7c (from 10-12c lately).

Edited by Bristle Si
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extremes
1 minute ago, Bristle Si said:

The thing is John "something colder" for 'us' is 7c (from 10-12c lately).

This is unfortunately very true but who knows, maybe this year a proper cold one.🤞

• Like 2

Posted
4 hours ago, cheeky_monkey said:

Xmas 84 the run up and day itself were mild..it turned colder Boxing day and where i was there was some snow showers Xmas night into boxing day...turned much colder on news years day ..there after followed the cold snowy January 85

Yes Christmas Day itself was quite average, but it turned colder Boxing Day, I think we had a decent snowfall late on, the rest of the month was quite cold, but the main cold arrived on the 2 January. It was quite similiar to 1985 in many respects, cold weather arrived Boxing Day but not quite as cold. We've had quite a few instances of cold arriving just after christmas Day, rather than the immediate run up to christmas, 2008 and 2020 good examples, 2000 also, 1984, 1985, 2001, 2005 as well. 

A curious anomaly is the often very mild period we endure 20-25 Dec... very annoying! Not had a cold such period since 2010, indeed the last 11 years has brought mild or very mild weather generally.

• Like 1

Posted
1 hour ago, Bristle Si said:

The thing is John "something colder" for 'us', locally, is 7c (from 10-12c lately).

You would think though, "something colder" perhaps hints at below average temperatures, albeit not necessarily exceptional?

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms and other extremes

CFS increasingly bringing in +ve anomalies across the pole in January. My guess there's some SSW ensembles in there

Could contain: Plot, Chart, Map

• Like 1

Posted
8 minutes ago, Don said:

You would think though, "something colder" perhaps hints at below average temperatures, albeit not necessarily exceptional?

I wouldnt think that, necessarily, but i've no doubt that others will.

• Like 1

Posted
7 minutes ago, Bristle Si said:

I wouldnt think that, necessarily, but i've no doubt that others will.

I personally thinks it hints at something below average, but like I said not necessarily exceptionally so i.e. a beast.

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield

I was reading about the effect Tonga eruption is going to have. So after saying it would have no effect it seems that they hadn't taken the amount of water vapour dumped into the atmosphere.  It seems nobody is quiet sure what effect is going ton have at the surface so we could be entering into unknown waters. Any bizarre weather caused by Tonga will probably get lost in the noise of climate change so this winter could more interesting than normal. https://www.nasa.gov/feature/jpl/tonga-eruption-blasted-unprecedented-amount-of-water-into-stratosphere and

AGUPUBS.ONLINELIBRARY.WILEY.COM

another article

global-stratospheric-cooling-water-vapor
WWW.SEVERE-WEATHER.EU

The strong cooling event continues in the southern stratosphere, potentially influencing the Winter 2022/2023 seasonal weather patterns

Edited by The PIT
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Southerly tracking LPs, heavy snow. Also 25c and calm
23 hours ago, CreweCold said:

CFS increasingly bringing in +ve anomalies across the pole in January. My guess there's some SSW ensembles in there

Could contain: Plot, Chart, Map

That would follow my 84/5 thoughts.

BFTP

Posted

Hi everyone 

First i hope you all will have a good weekend .

I am a Polar Vortex researcher

I check data of the stratosphere and make my thoughts to the winter to that - and alot was  happening and is proceeding.

Could contain: Chart, Heat Map

• Like 6

Posted
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet

Interesting question for us all in the face of upcoming modelling.

Would you prefer to keep blocking over Scandinavia with uppers just cold enough to ensure falling and settling snow.

Would you prefer retrogression to Greenland with a more northerly flow if you knew it would deliver proper cold uppers and chill your bones.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snowy winters and warm sunny summers
6 minutes ago, summer blizzard said:

Would you prefer to keep blocking over Scandinavia with uppers just cold enough to ensure falling and settling snow.

Would you prefer retrogression to Greenland with a more northerly flow if you knew it would deliver proper cold uppers and chill your bones.

After 12 months of mild crud either would be a dream!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: WINTERS WITH HEAVY DISRUPTIVE SNOWFALL AVRAGE SPRING HOT SUMMERS.

Hi folks another day of ups and downs here but i'm sure we will all be reworded this winter. now here is an interesting winter forecast for europ from this guy i don't how good this guy is but before the 18z i thought i'l shaire this with you folks. mods please remove if it's in the wrong thread.  

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine and 15-25c
11 minutes ago, summer blizzard said:

if i was in the UK i would go with the Scandinavian high as they tend to be more long lasting and have tendency to reoccur during a winter season 

• Like 1

Posted
20 minutes ago, summer blizzard said:

After last winter, I would me more than happy with either, although the later would possibly be better for my location regarding snow perhaps?

Edited by Don
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Frost and snow. A quiet autumn day is also good.
15 hours ago, summer blizzard said:

A very good question. I am always chasing the pot of gold - and so at this point of the season I would prefer to see the high stick to our NE rather than retrogress into Griceland. That might well mean a less cold start... but I would prefer to see the foundations of strat vortex disruption laid strongly and for that to occur the longer heights remain positive over Kara the better things are. The modelling at the moment is rather confused - positive GWO suggesting ongoing amplification though in the short term the MJO is heading for COD and speed/amplitude of predicted recovery quite quickly into 7/8 territory is unclear. Some good wave 2 precursors I think have been laid which might bring lagged benefits in a few weeks, but again it is an unknown quantity in terms of actual impact. In the short/medium term we have some encouraging weakening of the TPV with some splitting but modelling brings some coherence back though high lat blocking in some shape or form will prevent (I think) any substantial acceleration. Meanwhile we have a strong ridge establishing over the aleutians - not a feature we are generally in favour of - and that ongoing tendency for pressure over SE Europe to remain higher than we like or perhaps the models get a grip of.

So - much still to evolve despite some recent frenzy on the Mod thread....but we have some positive indicators and a sense that blocking is the conversation in town. And to go back to that question - the longer it holds to our NE the better I think.

My optimistic side is sticking to the idea that the last third of December might see winter arrive but I want to see the GWO retain a highish orbit, the MJO recover and the short term impacts of high lat blocking remain long enough to take the sting out of any potential attempts of the lower strat to fire up and couple. Out into the further reaches of vision we will obviously be hunting for SSW potential, something that Met Office blog states clearly. No point even glancing at the second half of winter until we see how the strat is looking in 4 weeks time.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2