Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Winter 2022/23 - Moans, Ramps & Chat

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...
12 minutes ago, johncam said:

Up here the only snowless winters I have had all happened in the 2000's 

As I've said many times before, I'd never seen a snowless winter until post-2013... Now that's a fact!

Edit: PS: Isn't this Winter 2023? 😁😁

Edited by Ed Stone

Posted
1 hour ago, joggs said:

Increasingly looking like winter is going out with a whimper. Even the usual(chicken sure) suspects on the model thread have gone quiet. A warming world eh........

It still feels cold over the past week. That can’t be ignored, despite the lack of snow.

• Like 2

Posted
53 minutes ago, ribster said:

Must be pushing on nearly a month of frosts now, with this spell and the last. Another hard frost last night, still below zero now. Not wintry? My posterior!

People who will say winter 2022/23 hasn’t been wintery, are obviously living in another country. Yes, it’s been lacking snowfall in parts of the south and south east, but this has arguably produced some of the coldest periods since 2020/21, and going even further back to 2012/13.

But, I bet these same people will be out in force as soon as we have a week of 25-30c and say ‘it’s too hot’ and ‘this heat is abnormal’, because god forbid the summer should provide us with some much needed warm and hot sunny weather.

Edited by Sunny76
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Posted
56 minutes ago, johncam said:

Just out of curiosity I had a look at a detached in Bournemouth,  want I liked was one and a half million 🤣a wee bit rich for me

We are currently 7C , it's really only the South that is still cold 

My darlin there is a big group of us! We can afford it! Do share the link please ...

Posted
6 minutes ago, Sunny76 said:

People who will say winter 2022/23 hasn’t been wintery, are obviously living in another country. Yes, it’s been lacking snowfall in parts of the south and south east, but this has arguably produced some of the coldest periods since 2020/21, and going even further back to 2012/13.

But, I bet these same people will be out in force as soon as we have a week of 25-30c and say ‘it’s too hot’ and ‘this heat is abnormal’, because god forbid the summer should provide us with some much needed warm and hot sunny weather.

One month below normal, one month above -- so, nothing remotely special...? Long gone are the days when we'd get spud-killing air frosts in September!🤔

Posted
1 hour ago, Tom Quintavalle said:

It's getting pretty desperate now.

Thinking of starting a bring back,  Rob McElwee petition!! 

Regards,

Tom Q. 👍 

How have I not seen that video before LOL! That made me laugh

• Like 3

Posted
20 minutes ago, Ed Stone said:

When I was staying by Drumnadrochit, 'south' was anywhere farther down than Perth. It's amazing just how quickly one adapts to one's location, innit?

I heard anywhere South of Birmingham is South!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow in winter,warm sun in summer!!!!
21 minutes ago, Ed Stone said:

As I've said many times before, I'd never seen a snowless winter until post-2013... Now that's a fact!

Edit: PS: Isn't this Winter 2023? 😁😁

Alright the 2020's as well 😷

• Like 1

Posted
1 minute ago, johncam said:

Alright the 2020's as well 😷

Well, the Scottish Highlands are hardly the best placed for being snowless. But 1989 (the first Scottish winter I experienced) had me worried, I can tell you!😁

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow in winter,warm sun in summer!!!!
4 minutes ago, *Stormforce~beka* said:

Right you 🤣, if you devide the country in 3 from nothern Isles to South Coast the southern third starts at Manchester,  anyway I am just being pedantic 😁

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted

All anyone needs remember, from BBC Radio 4 is: The road between Cockbridge (A939?) and Tomintoul is blocked by snow!😁

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, T Storms.
1 hour ago, ribster said:

Must be pushing on nearly a month of frosts now, with this spell and the last. Another hard frost last night, still below zero now. Not wintry? My posterior!

There's people in the mod thread calling this a mild winter , where on earth have they been, cause sure not here in the UK 

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, T Storms.
1 hour ago, *Stormforce~beka* said:

Surely south is France, east is Holland, or it is from here.

• Like 1

Posted
8 minutes ago, alexisj9 said:

There's people in the mod thread calling this a mild winter , where on earth have they been, cause sure not here in the UK 

Oh, come on, H... It's hardly been the "1947, '63 redux" that some of the loons have been predicting, has it?🤔

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Storms, and plenty of warm sunny days!
2 hours ago, johncam said:

Just out of curiosity I had a look at a detached in Bournemouth,  want I liked was one and a half million 🤣a wee bit rich for me

We are currently 7C , it's really only the South that is still cold 

-6 locally last night, here in East/North  Yorkshire, same Friday night, currently 3°c outside, i think the Sun tan lotion can stay in the cupboard for now 😉

• Like 5

Posted
41 minutes ago, Ed Stone said:

Oh, come on, H... It's hardly been the "1947, '63 redux" that some of the loons have been predicting, has it?🤔

It doesn't have to be a 1947, 63, 79, 87, or even a 2010 or 91 to be classed as cold.

The fact is, it's still very cold.

• Like 3

Posted
9 minutes ago, Sunny76 said:

It doesn't have to be a 1947, 63, 79, 87, or even a 2010 or 91 to be classed as cold.

It's been below average, aye. But very cold? No, not really?🤔

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Very Hot,Very cold.scared of thunder and lightning.

I don't know when it was last,that I had 5 inch layer of ice on my pond for days on end...

Pretty cold here compared to alot of winters.

Not much snow so far.

But daytime temps have been very low.

For 2 weeks at a time.

Edited by Floatylight
  • Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Basically intresting weather,cold,windy you name it
1 hour ago, Sunny76 said:

Sorry its not been very cold, that is fact, no records even close to being broken, a few frosts do not equate to very cold. Its Winter and so far a relatively mild one with one or two cooler spells.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extremes
20 minutes ago, Floatylight said:

I don't know when it was last,that I had 5 inch layer of ice on my pond for days on end...

Pretty cold here compared to alot of winters.

Not much snow so far.

But daytime temps have been very low.

For 2 weeks at a time.

Yep my pond so far this winter has had a total of 14 days frozen solid. Add to that a few days and nights of freezing fog, numerous frosts, a few ice days and a couple of light snowfalls. All this in the rather balmy west country.

I'd say from a coldies perspective so far a pretty decent winter cold wise but could have been a lot more snowy. 

Certainly not a bad one compared to some of the mild, frostless and snowless winters I've seen in my 53 years on the planet.

• Like 4
  • Insightful 1

Posted
1 hour ago, Ed Stone said:

It's been below average, aye. But very cold? No, not really?🤔

I do find it slightly amusing how a few frosty days during the sweet spot of winter is classified as something unusual? Perhaps its an age thing...regarding the definition of a mild or cold winter, only stats will say...its been cold thisnlast week, yes, but very cold taking into account where we are in terms of mid January...dont think so... Ive had 2 frosts this last  week. A straight northerly and west wales would have been blanketed back in the 80's...we had rain showers, if you squint I can just make out a white haze over Snowdonia, the Presselies are green. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Clear blue skies!

If Winter was like how it has been these last 5 days, with crisp blue sunny skies interchanged with snow spells like the week we had in December, Winter would actually become enjoyable for me! Loved the amount of sunshine lately! Seems to be back to a cloudfest from tomorrow though unfortunately.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
1 hour ago, markyo said:

Sorry its not been very cold, that is fact, no records even close to being broken, a few frosts do not equate to very cold. Its Winter and so far a relatively mild one with one or two cooler spells.

It is very cold, and i'm not knocking the weather. I quite enjoy the cold frosty sunny weather, but I definitely need to wear an extra layer when its this cold.

I can guarantee if we have a week of daytime temps exceeding 23-24c during the summer, some folk on here will be complaining that its too hot, when its just average summer temps.

Edited by Sunny76
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Basically intresting weather,cold,windy you name it
27 minutes ago, Sunny76 said:

It is very cold, and i'm not knocking the weather. I quite enjoy the cold frosty sunny weather, but I definitely need to wear an extra layer when its this cold.

I can guarantee if we have a week of daytime temps exceeding 23-24c during the summer, some folk on here will be complaining that its too hot, when its just average summer temps.

Not sure you would to be honest, 23/24c up to middle 20's even i wouldn't call very hot. ~To call this Winter very cold i struggle with sorry. I know we are very different though in how we feel temps!!

• Like 2