Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Winter 2022/23 - Moans, Ramps & Chat

Posted
3 minutes ago, Bristle Si said:

MetO update, for right into last part of Feb, says No to cold wintry weather.

Dont believe any hype you read elsewhere, until UK MetO say so.

Lol, I was just about to post over there that there isnt even a sniff of anything from the met apart from zonal...then thought I would save myself the abuse 🤣

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Most(see in interests section.)
21 hours ago, TN9 said:

what makes me sad is the old ... and three years nearly now.. ye old west Pacific high ,good old excuse is la nina , its influence spirals every where...do they know ..whats the azores high  secret ?...it doesn't  need la nina or el nino ..its there never too far away ,it takes no notice of Pacific affairs ..maybe buffeted slung in to Europe at times but she's always there   no need for bigger picture 

Great post.

I was talking the other evening in a post of mine about how high pressures are extremely strong and slow moving through southern Europe Iberia and The Azores high. Any high pressures that come down from Northeast Canada below Greenland are a lot more mobile and Zip across when we would prefer those to be more stagnant to allow colder streams of air from the north or north east.

no can you believe just for posting that that I got my post removed even though I was talking about pressure charts . 
let’s see if they remove mine again and keep all the other ones on here that are talking about high pressures! 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines

Grim this week in central Europe. Gloomy skies, temperatures a touch above freezing and today we had drizzle. Just pants, haven’t seen the sun for days. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Insightful 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, T Storms.
1 hour ago, stainesbloke said:

Grim this week in central Europe. Gloomy skies, temperatures a touch above freezing and today we had drizzle. Just pants, haven’t seen the sun for days. 

Was like that here till the cold front went through, not sure it's going your way though. I'm guessing you are stuck under a high.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow,Thunderstorms mix both for heaven THUNDERSNOW 😜😀🤤🥰

Screenshot-20230127-022003-Twitter.jpg

More recent noteworthy stats 

• Like 2
  • Insightful 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: cold and snowy. Summer: hot and sunny

Not expecting much for the rest of winter. A UK high will do me fine. As long as we can avoid another Atlantic deluge with wind and rain, I'll be happy. Then roll on Spring warmth from March. 

• Like 2

Posted

Down here I'd imagine we are probably running a little below average for the season to date, but that hides a notable mild spell and two shorter but reasonably intense cold periods, with the December being more intense obviously.

Today looks like being the first day that will be close to average for a while.

• Like 1

Posted

Manchester Winter Indices ranked 

2013-14: 7

1988-89: 20

2006-07: 21

1997-98: 25

1974-75: 26

1989-90: 26

2015-16: 28

2021-22: 28

2019-20: 29

1973-74: 30

1987-88: 37

2007-08: 37

2016-17: 37

1991-92: 40

1975-76: 41

1999-00: 42

1992-93: 43

2002-03: 44

1994-95: 45

2018-19: 45

1998-99: 47

2004-05: 47

2011-12: 47

2001-02: 50

2003-04: 50

2022-23: 53 (up to Jan 26)

2005-06: 59

1979-80: 66

1996-97: 72

2000-01: 77

1993-94: 78

1983-84: 82

2014-15: 82

1982-83: 85

1977-78: 90

1980-81: 90

2017-18: 93

1986-87: 100

2012-13: 102

2008-09: 105

2010-11: 119

2020-21: 120

1990-91: 126

1995-96: 135

1984-85: 140

1976-77: 141

1981-82: 149

1985-86: 159

2009-10: 197

1978-79: 262

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
5 minutes ago, RJBingham said:

Oh dear, a dose of reality not going down well in the MAD thread.

Yes,and still the odd cold ramping,this is what will happen is still adamant lol. I'm a coldie but the potential disappeared a couple of weeks ago for me. I said if the sww (looked more promising then) doesn't deliver,the vortex is not favourable for us imo. Just hope we don't have a cold spring🤢

• Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, Wind, Sunny, Warm, Thunderstorms, Snow
26 minutes ago, joggs said:

Yes,and still the odd cold ramping,this is what will happen is still adamant lol. I'm a coldie but the potential disappeared a couple of weeks ago for me. I said if the sww (looked more promising then) doesn't deliver,the vortex is not favourable for us imo. Just hope we don't have a cold spring🤢

You and me both....These people who want winter to be a winter wonderland must either not work so get cold weather payments or just have money to burn.  I am so ready for warmer weather, the thought of a cold spring feels me dread.

• Like 8

Posted
1 hour ago, TwisterGirl81 said:

You and me both....These people who want winter to be a winter wonderland must either not work so get cold weather payments or just have money to burn.  I am so ready for warmer weather, the thought of a cold spring feels me dread.

Let’s hope for 19-21c from March onwards👍

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heat, sun and thunderstorms in summer. Cold sunny days and snow in winter

We had an August that felt like summer which was nice, but now let's have a February that feels like winter. It's not like proper cold lasts that long in the UK anyway, so it would make a nice change.

There is plenty of time for it to be warm between mid March and mid October. 😎

Edited by Weather Enthusiast91
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heat, sun and thunderstorms in summer. Cold sunny days and snow in winter
2 hours ago, TwisterGirl81 said:

Some people see the beauty in all four seasons and enjoy seasonal weather. As well as the fact that it's a weather enthusiasts's forum, so needless to say there are going to be people hoping for the extremes in both summer and winter. In terms of energy bills, I actually had my heating on more when it was mild and damp than when it was cold, dry and sunny. There are people struggling every year, even in the mildest of winters.

I do agree with you about cold springs though. Once we are in mid March, spring warmth becomes my focus.

Edited by Weather Enthusiast91
  • Like 3

Posted
1 minute ago, Weather Enthusiast91 said:

Some people see the beauty in all four seasons and enjoy seasonal weather. As well as the fact that it's a weather enthusiasts's forum, so needless to say there are going to be people hoping for the extremes in both summer and winter. In terms of energy bills, I actually had my heating on more when it was mild and damp than when it was dry, cold and sunny. There are people struggling every year, even in the mildest of winters.

Totally agree, let people enjoy their weather preferences without any guilt tripping!

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winter, warm/hot summer with the odd storm thrown in

As I've said before once we get to March it can get as warm as it wants as I look for warmth from them but personally I'm not a fan of warm February's, Although the exceptional warmth we had a few years ago was interesting but not something I'd really want a repeat of. At the end of the day February is one of three winter months, not spring, and I'd prefer it felt that way.  

Edited by matt111
  • Like 2

Posted
1 minute ago, matt111 said:

As I've said before once we get to March it can get as warm as it wants as I look for warmth from them but personally I'm not a fan of warm February's, Although the exceptional warmth we had a few years agi was interesting but not something I'd really want a repeat of. At the end of the day February is one of three winter months, not spring, and I'd prefer it felt that way.  

The exceptional warmth in late February 2019 just felt wrong, albeit we will have a repeat sooner or later!!

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winter, warm/hot summer with the odd storm thrown in
1 minute ago, Don said:

The exceptional warmth in late February 2019 just felt wrong, albeit we will have a repeat sooner or later!!

I dare say we will one day. Just hope it doesn't become more common than colder spells in February in the years to come.

Posted
Just now, matt111 said:

I dare say we will one day. Just hope it doesn't become more common than colder spells in February in the years to come.

With climate change you certainly wouldn't rule it out!

• Like 2

Posted
1 minute ago, Don said:

With climate change you certainly wouldn't rule it out!

It's a depressing thought. I mean I love warm weather but only at the right time of year and if it means less cold in winter it's not something I'd look forward to. 

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, cold, cold and errrr......cold. I am, unashamedly, a cold fan.

Personally I'd like it to stay as cold as possible for as long as possible. We have plenty of warmth in this country as it is. A cold spring would do me just fine, 🙂

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, T Storms.
13 minutes ago, simshady said:

Personally I'd like it to stay as cold as possible for as long as possible. We have plenty of warmth in this country as it is. A cold spring would do me just fine, 🙂

Normally I'd agree with you, but not while the gas is as expensive as it is. Don't want wet and mild though. A nice sunny high would do, but I'm not quite sure that's what the high will be like.

• Like 2

Posted
37 minutes ago, alexisj9 said:

Normally I'd agree with you, but not while the gas is as expensive as it is. Don't want wet and mild though. A nice sunny high would do, but I'm not quite sure that's what the high will be like.

Yes something like last week when it was cold and sunny with blue skies would be nice. And if we couldn't have cold and sunny, something like today wouldn't be too bad although I'd prefer it without the cloud earlier in the day. 

• Like 1

Posted
1 hour ago, simshady said:

No, we don’t have much warmth in this country. Last summer was exceptional, but we don’t get long periods of warm sunny weather every year.

• Like 2