Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Winter 2022/23 - Moans, Ramps & Chat

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything non-disruptive, and some variety
12 hours ago, Sunny76 said:

Let’s hope for 19-21c from March onwards👍

No that is going too far. It will advance the spring flowers too quickly, leave blossoming fruit trees vulnerable to a late cold blast and we will inevitably pay for that further down the line with an Arctic or flooding April (e.g. 2012). When it comes to weather in the UK we are not allowed nice things without paying for it with interest later on.

On 26/01/2023 at 21:04, stainesbloke said:

Grim this week in central Europe. Gloomy skies, temperatures a touch above freezing and today we had drizzle. Just pants, haven’t seen the sun for days. 

Just like SE England then. Four consecutive days of zero sun in Horsham and counting.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, snow, warm sunny days.
13 hours ago, RJBingham said:

Oh dear, a dose of reality not going down well in the MAD thread.

13 hours ago, joggs said:

Yes,and still the odd cold ramping,this is what will happen is still adamant lol. I'm a coldie but the potential disappeared a couple of weeks ago for me. I said if the sww (looked more promising then) doesn't deliver,the vortex is not favourable for us imo. Just hope we don't have a cold spring🤢

13 hours ago, TwisterGirl81 said:

You and me both....These people who want winter to be a winter wonderland must either not work so get cold weather payments or just have money to burn.  I am so ready for warmer weather, the thought of a cold spring feels me dread.

Stop the moaning, otherwise karma will come back to bite you with a long cold spring 🙃

• Like 2

Posted
13 hours ago, TwisterGirl81 said:

You and me both....These people who want winter to be a winter wonderland must either not work so get cold weather payments or just have money to burn.  I am so ready for warmer weather, the thought of a cold spring feels me dread.

A true winter landscape looks pretty and there is a strange satisfaction of crunching your feet in the snow (not unlike popping bubble wrap), but for me the disruption to transport and my social life during even modest snow events brings more annoyance than any child-like enthusiasm the lying snow brings.

I can never understand those who want to experience near unprecedented extremes such as true blizzard conditions or weeks of sub-zero temperatures like 1962/3. Do they think they would somehow be immune to any dangerous/destructive consequences? It is like living in the SE and wishing for another October 1987 windstorm, or living in the Philippines and wishing for another Haiyan.

• Like 4

Posted

At last some realistic reflection in the mod thread on the misuse of anomaly charts. Particularly applicable during the annual promotion of the 'Scandi High' accompanied by the usual mounting excitement and hysteria. 😉

• Like 7

Posted

Regardless of the temperature, it would actually be quite nice to see the sun for once. We're on 5 consecutive days of complete dullness now (<1hr total sunshine).

It was clear most of the night too, so its extra annoying.

• Like 2

Posted
1 hour ago, al78 said:

A true winter landscape looks pretty and there is a strange satisfaction of crunching your feet in the snow (not unlike popping bubble wrap), but for me the disruption to transport and my social life during even modest snow events brings more annoyance than any child-like enthusiasm the lying snow brings.

I can never understand those who want to experience near unprecedented extremes such as true blizzard conditions or weeks of sub-zero temperatures like 1962/3. Do they think they would somehow be immune to any dangerous/destructive consequences? It is like living in the SE and wishing for another October 1987 windstorm, or living in the Philippines and wishing for another Haiyan.

Fully agreed. We've had a leaflet through the door about 'emergency power cuts' and what to do if a run on energy demand results in the need to cut off power for 1-3 hours at a time. Coal-fired power stations are being cranked up just in case of prolonged cold weather. And my sister in S Africa tells me of 'load shedding' in that country resulting in electricity being cut off for up to 12 hours a day. I fully recognise that nature requires cold spells in winter as well as mild spells, but do we really want to return to the daily power cuts which I remember from the early 1970s? Different reasons but all the same.... 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet
35 minutes ago, A Face like Thunder said:

Fully agreed. We've had a leaflet through the door about 'emergency power cuts' and what to do if a run on energy demand results in the need to cut off power for 1-3 hours at a time. Coal-fired power stations are being cranked up just in case of prolonged cold weather. And my sister in S Africa tells me of 'load shedding' in that country resulting in electricity being cut off for up to 12 hours a day. I fully recognise that nature requires cold spells in winter as well as mild spells, but do we really want to return to the daily power cuts which I remember from the early 1970s? Different reasons but all the same.... 

There's actually little evidence we will get power cuts. The National Grid are now required to issue these worst case scenarios every year.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: 30 Degrees of pure British Celsius

I'm still going for Winter's over...looks like a tepid few weeks coming up after an initial very brief Arctic plunge which skirts the UK.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Basically intresting weather,cold,windy you name it
6 hours ago, al78 said:

I agree, but to the same extent those who wish for plus 30's temps in the UK for weeks on end are just as illogical.  Extremes, which ever way are not welcome surly. 

Posted

I'm starting to think this should be renamed the 'Slating others' thread!!  Come on it's winter where many enthusiasts want snow, it's the same every year.  Yes, I know there is the cost of living crisis, but I don't see many hankering after a 46/47 or 62/63 redux!  In the summer, plenty will be chasing heatwaves and storms and I doubt they will get slated for it!!

Edited by Don
  • Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, T Storms.

It's cold today, even though the sun was shining, high of 6. Didn't feel like it though.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winter, warm/hot summer with the odd storm thrown in
Just now, alexisj9 said:

It's cold today, even though the sun was shining, high of 6. Didn't feel like it though.

Seems like the opposite to the other day when I had sun and you didn’t. It’s been dull all day here. Similar temperature though and cold inside the house, I haven’t even been outside yet. 

• Like 1

Posted
19 minutes ago, Don said:

I'm starting to think this should be renamed the 'Slating others' thread!!  Come on it's winter where many enthusiasts want snow, it's the same every year.  Yes, I know there is the cost of living crisis, but I don't see many hankering after a 46/47 or 62/63 redux!  In the summer, plenty will be chasing heatwaves and storms and I doubt they will get slated for it!!

I rarely come in here - they use this thread to criticise posters in the MOD thread. 

• Like 5

36 minutes ago, Don said:

Agreed, it's nauseating in this thread, constant sly comments from certain quarters.  Why people can't just live and let others live is beyond me - have they got nothing better to do?  If people want to chase cold synoptics let them, they are not doing anyone any harm, it's only the weather.  And as you said, it's the same in summer when people chase heat.  The phrase my mother always used comes to mind for many in here: "If you have nothing useful to say, then say nothing". 

Edited by Guest

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: 30 Degrees of pure British Celsius
17 hours ago, Sunny76 said:

Last summer was exceptional, but we don’t get long periods of warm sunny weather every year.

Well they're becoming more common place...starting earlier with summer creeping into spring months.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!
20 minutes ago, Froze were the Days said:

Well they're becoming more common place...starting earlier with summer creeping into spring months.

and summer extending into autumn months

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, Wind, Sunny, Warm, Thunderstorms, Snow
2 hours ago, markyo said:

I agree, but to the same extent those who wish for plus 30's temps in the UK for weeks on end are just as illogical.  Extremes, which ever way are not welcome surly. 

24c and sun is perfect me and hopefully in a couple months those days will be here 🙂

9 hours ago, al78 said:

I totally get thaat and I do love snow, it's just I wouldn't want a prolinged cold spell especially with the cost of living crises and high energy bills right now 

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, Wind, Sunny, Warm, Thunderstorms, Snow
9 hours ago, Gowon said:

Stop the moaning, otherwise karma will come back to bite you with a long cold spring 🙃

Noooo 😛  I'm hoping for an early taste of warmth in March he he 

• Like 1

Posted

I have been wondering if this is not a bad time to close the mod thread for a brief period to allow punters to regroup and gather their thoughts,,,,,,,,,,say five years for starters 😎

• Like 1

Posted
Just now, knocker said:

I have been wondering if this is not a bad time to close the mod thread for a brief period to allow punters to regroup and gather their thoughts,,,,,,,,,,say five years for starters 😎

No, only until it snows, oh, that's what you said 🙂

• Like 1

Posted
1 hour ago, Tidal Wave said:

Agreed, it's nauseating in this thread, constant sly comments from certain quarters.  Why people can't just live and let others live is beyond me - have they got nothing better to do?  If people want to chase cold synoptics let them, they are not doing anyone any harm, it's only the weather.  And as you said, it's the same in summer when people chase heat.  The phrase my mother always used comes to mind for many in here: "If you have nothing useful to say, then say nothing". 

In extreme cases it may come off as a little insensitive*, vocally wishing for conditions which cause hardship for others because for some reason experiencing an extreme is seen as some sort of trophy. Wanting a bit of snow or heat is one thing, wanting extremes that are almost certainly going to kill or cause hardship to a lot of people whilst appearing to have no recognition of this is another. In many cases it is illogical, wishing for continuous 30+C in summer when the UK doesn't have the infrastructure for people to deal with it without significant discomfort just seems ridiculous to me. If people come across as insensitive or illogical they are going to incite comebacks, it's all part of free speech and the right to an opinion which includes a right to an opinion about your opinion. Don't voice controversial opinions if you can't take retaliation.

*On the storm2k forum of which a large contribution is about tropical cyclones members are requested not to make wish-casting posts of tropical cyclones making landfall because it is seen as insensitive to potential victims. As such there is an element of sympathy to potential victims of a major tropical cyclone and it does improve the atmosphere of the forum. Maybe members on here could consider adding in some recognition of the potential impacts to others when wishing for prolonged heat/cold/strong windstorm/whatever. Empathy is a good thing.

Edited by al78
  • Like 5

Posted
1 hour ago, TwisterGirl81 said:

Noooo 😛  I'm hoping for an early taste of warmth in March he he 

Me too tbh👍😉

• Like 2