Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Winter 2022/23 - Moans, Ramps & Chat

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Seasonal

As  regards extreme cold weather , a news report of  some poor old soul aged 92 sitting in her living room dressed in an overcoat, and covered in blankets because she could only afford  £ 3.00  worth of power per day  put it into perspective for me.  It's like most things in life, insofar as such things generally  depend upon your  personal circumstances, and whether  or not you have to personally have to put your hand in your pocket to pay the bills.

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winter, warm/hot summer with the odd storm thrown in

Everyone has their own preferences, I prefer the weather to be seasonal but others don't which is fine as it's their choice. However even if the weather is quite usable at the moment, I'm sure many will agree the sort of weather we've had a lot of over the last month or so is rather boring, although the cold crisp days last week were nice.

• Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, T Storms.
29 minutes ago, matt111 said:

Everyone has their own preferences, I prefer the weather to be seasonal but others don't which is fine as it's their choice. However even if the weather is quite usable at the moment, I'm sure many will agree the sort of weather we've had a lot of over the last month or so is rather boring, although the cold crisp days last week were nice.

I'm not sure they've left yet, well may be for one or two days, but today was cold and crisp down here, and the cars have ice building even though it's clouded over earlier this evening.

Posted
36 minutes ago, NEVES SCREAMER said:

Bartlett High on the way ? 

I don't think so, it ridges to high up for that, but not sure on scandi we'll see, I guess.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storm, drizzle

I love almost all weather (yes even dull cloud and rain as long as you can see it moving, I like to pretend I'm Reed Timmer talking about the low-level jet) perhaps all except crystal clear blue skies as I just find them boring in my opinion.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, heat, thunderstorms
4 hours ago, al78 said:

In extreme cases it may come off as a little insensitive*,

If you’re an overly sensitive and easily offended snowflake then yeah, I guess so. 

I’m sure there’s a forum out there dedicated to those of you who never want any interesting, exciting or unusual weather. I imagine gardening forums fit the bill quite nicely. 

Edited by cheese
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Storms, and plenty of warm sunny days!
2 hours ago, Mapantz said:

If there's a chance of -10°C every day in winter, I will take it. If there's a chance of 30°C+ every day in summer, I will also take it.

I will not be told by anyone, what I want or enjoy when it comes to the weather.

As per the guidelines:

Ooo, quite the rebel aren't we, 😂😂

Lycra a bit too tight? 🤔

Posted

I was recently reminiscing about the amazing summer we had last year - I have some screenshots of the iPhone weather app taken on that record-breaking day. I really hope we get a repeat this year. 😍

Could contain: Sky, Outdoors, Nature, Text, Mobile Phone, Phone, Electronics

Edited by cheese
  • Like 1

Posted
20 minutes ago, cheese said:

I was recently reminiscing about the amazing summer we had last year - I have some screenshots of the iPhone weather app taken on that record-breaking day. I really hope we get a repeat this year. 😍

I'd rather not if I'm honest, was ill the whole day after waking up Tuesday morning with heat exhaustion. Don't need that ever again. Or at least not with night time temps so high. Don't know how it would have been if I'd woke up alright. Never drunk so much water in my life.

• Like 4

Posted
5 hours ago, al78 said:

Wanting a bit of snow or heat is one thing, wanting extremes that are almost certainly going to kill or cause hardship to a lot of people whilst appearing to have no recognition of this is another.

I have not seen anyone wanting extremes though!  This is a weather forum, but it seems some on this thread have a holier than thou attitude who just want to guilt trip people for their weather preferences!  In my opinion they are the ones who need to look at themselves!

• Like 2

Posted
1 hour ago, alexisj9 said:

I'd rather not if I'm honest, was ill the whole day after waking up Tuesday morning with heat exhaustion. Don't need that ever again. Or at least not with night time temps so high. Don't know how it would have been if I'd woke up alright. Never drunk so much water in my life.

It’s crazy to think that in many English cities, the record high in July is now almost 20 degrees higher than the average high. Not many places can claim that - the closest would be cities in southern Australia, NZ and the west coast of America. 

Edited by cheese
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms and other extremes
3 hours ago, cheese said:

No thank you. That spell almost finished me off.

I'll take a cool, wet summer with some diurnal storms please.

• Like 3

Posted
13 hours ago, Tidal Wave said:

Agreed, it's nauseating in this thread, constant sly comments from certain quarters.  Why people can't just live and let others live is beyond me - have they got nothing better to do?  If people want to chase cold synoptics let them, they are not doing anyone any harm, it's only the weather.  And as you said, it's the same in summer when people chase heat.  The phrase my mother always used comes to mind for many in here: "If you have nothing useful to say, then say nothing". 

But we get the anti heat brigade bang on about how ‘it’s getting too hot every year’ which is hyperbole, instead of letting folk enjoy the lovely warm sunny weather.

• Like 2

Posted
13 hours ago, Froze were the Days said:

Well they're becoming more common place...starting earlier with summer creeping into spring months.

No, that’s not exactly true.

In fact, the summers have become duller during most of the 2010s and early 2020s. More cloud in peak summer months, and some summers with more rain.

Posted
4 hours ago, CreweCold said:

No thank you. That spell almost finished me off.

I'll take a cool, wet summer with some diurnal storms please.

No I don’t want a cool summer.

Not after a chilly winter. Or any type of winter for that matter.

Give me long periods of 24-27c with sunshine and I’ll be happy.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted
11 hours ago, 78/79 said:

As  regards extreme cold weather , a news report of  some poor old soul aged 92 sitting in her living room dressed in an overcoat, and covered in blankets because she could only afford  £ 3.00  worth of power per day  put it into perspective for me.  It's like most things in life, insofar as such things generally  depend upon your  personal circumstances, and whether  or not you have to personally have to put your hand in your pocket to pay the bills.

To be fair though, its not the weather that has lead to that scenario its the government...the emphasis is on the affordability not the cold.

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extremes

As someone has just mentioned on the mod thread great weather coming up for drying out golf courses and getting a few rounds in and as a keen golfer I'm happy with that🙂

I'm a coldie at heart and still hope for a late cold blast in maybe late Feb,early March. After that though a mild, dry spring and cracking summer would do me just fine.

As the weather gets better the beers after a round in the golf clubhouse taste sweeter too🙂

• Like 5

Posted

So long as it's not foggy this time next week, I'll be off to spend the rest of winter, in summer, and those fog delays at Heathrow were making me nervous 😬

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Very Cold, Very Snowy
30 minutes ago, prolongedSnowLover said:

Another failed winter with the synoptics failing spectacularly yet again in Jan/Feb.

Well done the weather.

Mean temp below average here and 7 days lying snow.  Looking forward,  is currently likely to be dry and mild but that hasn't happened yet so I am not sure how the winter has failed,  certainly IMBY.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, snow, warm sunny days.
1 hour ago, Sunny76 said:

But we get the anti heat brigade bang on about how ‘it’s getting too hot every year’ which is hyperbole, instead of letting folk enjoy the lovely warm sunny weather.

That's the point - 30/40 plus degrees is not lovely and warm🤣

• Like 4