Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Winter 2022/23 - Moans, Ramps & Chat

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow in winter,warm sun in summer!!!!
45 minutes ago, Ed Stone said:

Not a bad Met Office weekly -- 12-14C over the weekend?👍

Jeeso 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, snow, warm sunny days.
5 minutes ago, RJBingham said:

Ah ha "Scandi high" is the new SSW.

Are the models not showing potential for a scandi high?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heat, sun and thunderstorms in summer. Cold sunny days and snow in winter

Had a nice little surprise today. It's quite sunny today when I thought it was going to be mostly cloudy.

Edited by Weather Enthusiast91
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winter, warm/hot summer with the odd storm thrown in
20 minutes ago, Weather Enthusiast91 said:

Had a nice little surprise today. It's quite sunny today when I thought it was going to be mostly cloudy.

I thought I might see the sun a bit but not all day like I did. A real bonus after a rather dull weekend. 

• Like 4

Posted
35 minutes ago, Gowon said:

Are the models not showing potential for a scandi high?

There definately is scope, the issue we have, in my opinion, the pv isnt shifting to the NW, so, we could end up with a decent Scadi high with the UK ending up with southerly winds out of it.

• Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow in winter,warm sun in summer!!!!
6 minutes ago, KTtom said:

There definately is scope, the issue we have, in my opinion, the pv isnt shifting to the NW, so, we could end up with a decent Scadi high with the UK ending up with southerly winds out of it.

And the met ain't buying it

• Like 2

Posted
1 minute ago, KTtom said:

Of course and i'm sure the majority of posters accept that could happen, but I don't see the issue about speculating about a scandi high when there is "scope" ( I like how you avoided using "potential") yet the dissenters are allowed to speculate about rest of winter being written off?

• Like 1

Posted
1 minute ago, johncam said:

And the met ain't buying it

All we can do is keep watching the ops - just because the met doesn't buy it now, doesn't mean it can't happen.

• Like 1

Posted
27 minutes ago, Gowon said:

Of course and i'm sure the majority of posters accept that could happen, but I don't see the issue about speculating about a scandi high when there is "scope" ( I like how you avoided using "potential") yet the dissenters are allowed to speculate about rest of winter being written off?

I learnt from a sarcastic reply I had this morning to be very careful about what words I use, and I agree, everyone should be able to post what they see without being shot down on here 😁

Edited by KTtom
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

Anyway, upgrades are being mooted in the MAD thread. But, when morning comes, will they be downgrades? Who knows!😁

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow in winter, thunderstorms, warmth, sun any time!

January has been a tale of 2 halves.

The 1st half rather wet, a stark contrast to the 2nd half which has been very dry.

The England and Wales precipitation currently stands at 93.8mm which is pretty much bang on average.

Temperature wise, the first half was very mild but recent cold spell had brought the Central England Temperature closer to average, now at 5.0°C up to 28th. 

I'm thinking February will be quite an unsettled month but we'll see what happens. 

Could contain: Plot, Chart, Dinosaur, Reptile, Animal, Text

Could contain: Plot, Chart, Text, Page, Symbol, Number

• Insightful 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heat, sun and thunderstorms in summer. Cold sunny days and snow in winter

First half of January was mild and unsettled, whilst the second half was a lot cooler and more settled. Looks like there is little to no rain on the horizon for the next 10 days or so. Not that I am complaining as we have had plenty of that of late.

I think February will be a rather quiet month with high pressure and average to milder than average temps dominating for the first few weeks. I am going for a cold last week of winter giving some last minute snow to some areas.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winter, warm/hot summer with the odd storm thrown in
5 minutes ago, *Stormforce~beka* said:

I want to shove an SSW where the sun doesn't shine!! 

Not a fan of a cold spring then? Not sure I am really either unless we get a repeat of March 2018, then I'd be more interested 😄 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Posted
24 minutes ago, *Stormforce~beka* said:

I want to shove an SSW where the sun doesn't shine!! 

In that case you're not going to be able to shovel any snow!! 🤣 🤣

3 hours ago, Ed Stone said:

Anyway, upgrades are being mooted in the MAD thread. But, when morning comes, will they be downgrades? Who knows!😁

No doubt you're hoping there will be!! 😉

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish plumes & stormy winters. Facebook @ Lance's Lightning Shots

After 4.5 months of fairly wet conditions, the drought has returned with a vengeance of late! With no 'actual weather' even in sight in the models, I'm fully resigned to this period of benign boring-ness going on for many more weeks yet. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: 30 Degrees of pure British Celsius
3 hours ago, Ed Stone said:

BFTP is 'mooting' a definite solar induced SSW warming leading to a very cold March...better glue that sole back on my flip flop and buy some factor 40. 

The waxing and waning in the MAD thread has been right up there in the last couple of weeks...boosted by a possible SSW, a week of silence and some Atlantic driven charts and now some potential from 1 ecm run and everybody's gung-ho again! It seems like it has been always like that in there though.

• Like 1

Posted
1 hour ago, matt111 said:

Not a fan of a cold spring then? Not sure I am really either unless we get a repeat of March 2018, then I'd be more interested 😄 

I'm sick of seeing it in the thread when I don't understand a word of it. No snow coming i'm sure. Let's just get the warmth in so I can start gardening please!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Posted
40 minutes ago, *Stormforce~beka* said:

I'm sick of seeing it in the thread when I don't understand a word of it. No snow coming i'm sure. Let's just get the warmth in so I can start gardening please!

I'm glad you've said this because the snow will now duly arrive and you won't complain either!! 😁

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Posted
2 hours ago, ResonantChannelThunder said:

After 4.5 months of fairly wet conditions, the drought has returned with a vengeance of late! With no 'actual weather' even in sight in the models, I'm fully resigned to this period of benign boring-ness going on for many more weeks yet. 

We still haven't had a named storm yet this season. 

Here's hoping that 2023 doesn't end up being much like 2022. I like the weather to balanced out and varied as opposed to having weeks on end of the same thing, no matter what it is. For the timebeing, I am happy with having no rain as we have had plenty just lately. But after several weeks of being predominently dry, I get bored with that too.

• Like 1

Posted
On 29/01/2023 at 23:27, CreweCold said:

No point in it being desperately cold if there's no snow IMO. Fair enough if it snows and then the cold maintains it afterwards, but that period was an utter waste of decent synoptics.

Central London. Zone 2. Best December snow in 12 years and it stuck largely for a week which is very unusual. 

Could contain: Nature, Outdoors, Weather, Ice, Tree, Plant, Winter, Snow, Chair, Blizzard

Edited by Daniel*
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines
3 hours ago, Daniel* said:

Central London. Zone 2. Best December snow in 12 years and it stuck largely for a week which is very unusual. 

Could contain: Nature, Outdoors, Weather, Ice, Tree, Plant, Winter, Snow, Chair, Blizzard

Yes, quite a few populated areas had a decent snow event in December and it stuck around for a week with multiple ice days, I believe? Hardly a waste of synoptics and unusual for London, which struggles to get ice days in any winter.