Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Winter 2022/23 - Moans, Ramps & Chat

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and Sun

And still they believe a computer algorithm spurting out possible scenarios. I suppose it's a bit like religion, who believes which one is best, when the reality is, it doesn't really matter 😉 

• Like 1

Posted
14 minutes ago, Bristle Si said:

Yes, it's pathetic. 

A Psychiatrist's dream case study, Winter after Winter, without fail.🙄

I think a psychiatrist would have a field day with some members trying to work out what makes them tick but one thing that really does baffles me is why someone who lives over 2000 miles away gets hung up about what the weather may or may not do in the UK. Sure, I look at the weather around the world to see what is going on but I don't get hung up about whether a possible snowstorm in the NE of the USA starts going pear-shaped on the models. 

• Like 5

Posted

Normally I do enjoy extremes of weather, but this year I'm not bothered about deep cold or snow. I'd rather not have the expense of heating the house.

So the trend of unraveling a severe cold spell is a win in my book. At least this year.

When it comes to cold weather, 72+ is FI for me. Been suckered in more times than I care to mention. Almost ramped it at work today and thought better of it!

• Like 3

Posted
8 minutes ago, Wold Topper said:

I have followed the MAD thread this week and read nearly every page, until this evening, its just become a blur of pointless emotion, the good, regular, knowledgeable posters are being drowned out in a sea of noise and all because snowmaggedon isn't happening tomorrow!

It is the same year in, year out. If this does fail, give it a week or so... and they'll be back for the next great adventure.

I ignore the thread for the most part at this time of year.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish plumes & stormy winters. Facebook @ Lance's Lightning Shots
13 minutes ago, Wold Topper said:

I have followed the MAD thread this week and read nearly every page, until this evening, its just become a blur of pointless emotion, the good, regular, knowledgeable posters are being drowned out in a sea of noise and all because snowmaggedon isn't happening tomorrow!

Indeed! I don't have all that much free time to read these forums, and at this time of year, when I do have a look each day, there have usually been 20-30 new pages over in that thread, so it's nearly impossible to keep up with it and gain any benefit from the informative posts hidden within the craziness! 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Location: Abingdon - 55m ASL - Capital of The Central Southern England Corridor of Winter Convectionlessness
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Snow>Freezing Fog; Summer: Sun>Daytime Storms
  • Location: Abingdon - 55m ASL - Capital of The Central Southern England Corridor of Winter Convectionlessness
16 minutes ago, MattStoke said:

Not much sign of that milder incursion by a week tomorrow at least in the MOGREPS ensembles.

Could contain: Plot, Chart

12 minutes ago, Battleground Snow said:

Just thinking maybe the ECM bias of over amplifying might be causing it to overshoot the high pressure too far north compared to the other models.

I think we have almost lost the initial deep push of cold uppers  from earlier runs, but post day 5 is still very much up for grabs.

Huge scatter

Could contain: Plot, Chart

Will there be some polar air? Probably.

Will it be as cold as some runs have suggested? Probably not.

Will there be an immediate return to extreme mild conditions as shown by the latest 12z ECM Operational run? Probably not.

Edited by The Enforcer
  • Like 2

Posted

Didn't this happen last year? Strong signals from many models for Northern blocking, favourable MJO,etc. But, it didn't materialise and it all went pear shaped very quickly! But, models are currently unanimous on 14 day period of strong -NAO So, perhaps it's just a temporary blip. 🫰

• Like 1

Posted

Another potential cold spell cancelled yet again?!!  One wonders what the point is looking for a genuine cold spell in the UK these days!!

Edited by Don
  • Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and Sun
29 minutes ago, ResonantChannelThunder said:

Indeed! I don't have all that much free time to read these forums, and at this time of year, when I do have a look each day, there have usually been 20-30 new pages over in that thread, so it's nearly impossible to keep up with it and gain any benefit from the informative posts hidden within the craziness! 

On the flip side, so you think any of the usual suspects peek in here and realise how ridiculous some of their reactions are? I love weather, I do follow that thread but it gets a little...I think  childish sometimes. Anyway, heating the house is a struggle for millions this year so a flip to a milder run is a win win for the country.

• Like 2

Hi peeps

We on here seem to always get our wheels fallen off when an upcoming cold spell fails. I was just wondering as a matter of interest has there been any predicted mild spells in the past that have failed and ended up as epic cold.

Would be interesting to know how the setup turned.

regards 😊

• Like 1

Posted
1 minute ago, E17boy said:

Hi peeps

We on here seem to always get our wheels fallen off when an upcoming cold spell fails. I was just wondering as a matter of interest has there been any predicted mild spells in the past that have failed and ended up as epic cold.

regards 😊

when the wheels actually  fall off i’m sure it can be discussed 

• Like 2

Posted

Don't know if too many people know this, but you can follow your favourite members and use those follows to create a highlights reel for yourself. Just visit their profile and choose to follow them, then you can use the link below to read their posts every day. 

https://community.netweather.tv/discover/followed-members/

May be a good way to view the posts you find most useful on busier days in the model thread etc. 

Could contain: Screen, Electronics, Monitor, Computer Hardware, Hardware, Night, Outdoors, Nature, Text

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

Posted
8 minutes ago, E17boy said:

Hi peeps

regards 😊

No never lol

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...
9 minutes ago, jam said:

when the wheels actually  fall off i’m sure it can be discussed 

And that's it exactly, the wheels haven't yet fallen off anything: it's just that everything gets compared to the super-duperest run that's been seen? Computer models will never (I hope!) ever have a complete handle on what the weather's going to do... If they ever do, our hobby will go down the drain!🤔

Edited by Ed Stone
  • Like 5

Posted

OK so I have been watching in the background for a few days seeing all the eye candy and I'm shocked that once again we have been lead down the garden path it's happened before SO many times yet we never learn, cold block won't move. Well it seems mild always wins .. you couldn't make it up -nao and southern England ends up ..meh

I remember a few years ago all models bar 1 went for cold and snowy and which one do u think one it was a massive flip.. top tip wait till its 24hrs away to get excited 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold winters, hot summers

18 rolling out, enjoy the ride

3_Speed_2A-scaled.jpg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Posted
3 minutes ago, okidoke said:

OK so I have been watching in the background for a few days seeing all the eye candy and I'm shocked that once again we have been lead down the garden path it's happened before SO many times yet we never learn, cold block won't move. Well it seems mild always wins .. you couldn't make it up -nao and southern England ends up ..meh

I remember a few years ago all models bar 1 went for cold and snowy and which one do u think one it was a massive flip.. top tip wait till its 24hrs away to get excited 

so many drama queens here .. wait until it happens perhaps or take take your own advise and wait until it’s 24hrs to comment .. this is getting tiresome 

• Like 4

Posted

The ECM is only one output, maybe a wobble maybe not. As much as a coldie I am, its no harm if it becomes mild if only briefly. think of those who will struggle to pay energy bills this winter.

• Like 1

Posted
2 minutes ago, jam said:

so many drama queens here .. wait until it happens perhaps or take take your own advise and wait until it’s 24hrs to comment .. this is getting tiresome 

or just stick to the topic 😉 everyone has their own opinions here. however, non-topic posts don't add to the discussion 🙂 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heat, sun and thunderstorms in summer. Cold sunny days and snow in winter

I would like to see a few cold snaps this winter, as well as some snowy days here and there. Every single year regardless on how cold or mild the winter is, there are people struggling to pay their bills. Even the most mild of winters are usually still cold enough for people to have their heating on, particularly those who are vulnerable. So I think that whether we have a cold or a mild winter won't really make that much of a difference. 

I would personally like to have a winter similar to 2020/21, which was quite mixed and had something for everyone. 

Edited by Weather Enthusiast91

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Lots of snow
34 minutes ago, Ed Stone said:

You could always purchase an Official Netweather Model Thread Virtual-Reality Headset (ONWMTVRH)? A bit of a mouthful I know, but it comes with a free Day 10 guarantee. That's valid for as long as you like!👍

🤣😅

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: 30 Degrees of pure British Celsius

Oh dear! a few members now hanging their hats on the GFS pub run...it's like an addiction, their on a high but find it so hard to come down (Until 99% of the models says no).

• Like 1

Definitely a moan this one, but I think this cold spell will likely turn-out a bit meh. Pesky short waves look likely to interupt the flow and give the Atlantic an entrance with these large low pressures - which by the way look legitimate considering the temp diff.