Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Winter 2022/23 - Moans, Ramps & Chat

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot sun, storms & ‘Oh no can’t go into work - snowed in’ days

I’ve still got one of them! It’ll take me a while to get down to you on it tho, if it’s an open invite! 😂

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winter, warm/hot summer with the odd storm thrown in
Just now, RebsAbbo said:

I’ve still got one of them! It’ll take me a while to get down to you on it tho, if it’s an open invite! 😂

I think @*Stormforce~beka* will be after it but you'll have to join the gang heading to Scotland to get it to her. And yes it is an open invite 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot sun, storms & ‘Oh no can’t go into work - snowed in’ days

Oh I’m all for Scotland, it’s my second spiritual home 👍🏼👍🏼

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
31 minutes ago, *Stormforce~beka* said:

Yippee!! What can you bring to the party? Sledges and skis and the like??

Cold beers! 🍻

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow in winter,warm sun in summer!!!!
7 hours ago, Don said:

Cold beers! 🍻

You are all mad 🤣,in a good way

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted
9 hours ago, Don said:

My two summer holidays in the Highlands had good weather overall and was fairly warm.

Fairly warm being 19-21c? Lol

Scotland is nice. Plenty of space and lovely countryside, but for me it’s not warm enough in the summer to make me want to live there. 

• Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snowy winters and warm sunny summers

On my travels around North West England this week I have noticed dozens of dead cordyline and palm plants in box displays across many of the regions towns, here in Penrith the town centre is littered with many such plants.

So why are councils and some gardeners planting these tropical plants in the UK? They look great in public displays during the summer but are unable to survive severe winter frosts. In Penrith we had the third coldest spell in 35 years in December with a 7 day average temperature below -4c, some nights the temperature fell to-10c, this is way below the tolerance of cordyline plants.

Despite GW the UK does not have a Mediterranean climate and daft Woke Councils shouldn't be wasting public money planting these plants in an effort to convince us that GW is real and North West England is now like the Costa Del Sol!

Rant over.

Andy

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, T Storms.
36 minutes ago, Sunny76 said:

Scotland is nice. Plenty of space and lovely countryside, but for me it’s not warm enough in the summer to make me want to live there. 

Those are perfect temps for me lol. Can't do heat anymore.

• Like 1

Posted
3 minutes ago, Penrith Snow said:

On my travels around North West England this week I have noticed dozens of dead cordyline and palm plants in box displays across many of the regions towns, here in Penrith the town centre is littered with many such plants.

So why are councils and some gardeners planting these tropical plants in the UK? They look great in public displays during the summer but are unable to survive severe winter frosts. In Penrith we had the third coldest spell in 35 years in December with a 7 day average temperature below -4c, some nights the temperature fell to-10c, this is way below the tolerance of cordyline plants.

Despite GW the UK does not have a Mediterranean climate and daft Woke Councils shouldn't be wasting public money planting these plants in an effort to convince us that GW is real and North West England is now like the Costa Del Sol!

Rant over.

Andy

Wow I don't think that's the reason, as you said in your post, it looks nice. Won't get into a gw argument with you though.

• Like 1

Posted
12 hours ago, matt111 said:

I think @*Stormforce~beka* will be after it but you'll have to join the gang heading to Scotland to get it to her. And yes it is an open invite 

Brilliant! Can you attach lots of flashing lights and decorations to it so we can see you coming from afar? What else can you bring?? ...

The invitation is as wide open as you can get!

12 hours ago, Don said:

Cold beers! 🍻

Make mine a rose' please! 😄 Or i'll take red wine ... Or even port!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Enjoy the weather, you can't take it with you 😎
3 hours ago, Penrith Snow said:

Rant over.

Andy

GW....right 😂😂😂😂

Posted
12 hours ago, RebsAbbo said:

Oh I’m all for Scotland, it’s my second spiritual home 👍🏼👍🏼

Refer to the previous page for where we will be staying. I do hope it's good enough for you ...

4 hours ago, johncam said:

You are all mad 🤣,in a good way

Good!!! LOL! Gotta cheer us all up when the weather is carp one way or t'other!

3 hours ago, Sunny76 said:

I feel we need 2 houses now. 1 in Scotland for winter and me you need one in the South for summer ... with a nice pool of course!

• Like 1

Posted
3 hours ago, Penrith Snow said:

Rant over.

Andy

Sorry! I did it! My cordy got caught too! I move it up the garden in summer not thinking about winter. So it got deaded. It did survive before that against the wall of the house for years.

Posted
3 hours ago, alexisj9 said:

Those are perfect temps for me lol. Can't do heat anymore.

I need it to be at least 23-24c to feel comfortable and 27c for high summer temps. 21c for me just isn’t warm enough for July and August.

Its nice in April and May, but come June I like it to be warmer.

39 minutes ago, *Stormforce~beka* said:

Refer to the previous page for where we will be staying. I do hope it's good enough for you ...

Good!!! LOL! Gotta cheer us all up when the weather is carp one way or t'other!

I feel we need 2 houses now. 1 in Scotland for winter and me you need one in the South for summer ... with a nice pool of course!

Sounds good to me. December to February in the north, but will happily live in the south from mid March until late October for the warmer weather.

• Thanks 1

Posted
9 minutes ago, Sunny76 said:

I need it to be at least 23-24c to feel comfortable and 27c for high summer temps. 21c for me just isn’t warm enough for July and August.

Sounds good to me. December to February in the north, but will happily live in the south from mid March until late October for the warmer weather.

Yeah I suppose I'm ok to about 28, and normally when temps hit low to mid 30s in London, Dover stays comfortable, not last year though. I will have to move if it carries on like that. Don't need to get heat exhaustion over night while asleep ever again if I can help it.

• Like 1

Posted
18 hours ago, Northernlights said:

Just to cheer everyone up  A bit of nostalgia here with no marginallity  anywhere in the UK here from 1969.  A true old school Arctic Northerly. All side roads blocked by drifts metres deep in this area.Could contain: Text, Page

Here is the Daily Weather Report for that day, note midday temperature of -3c and heavy snow in Manchester as an area of drifting snow swept south.

Now that’s what I call a Arctic Northerly unlike the tepid dishwater this week.

Andy

Could contain: Plot, Chart

• Like 4

Posted

Another map from that Arctic Northerly in Feb 69, this is 18:00 on the same day and the snow had reached London.

Nothing marginal on that chart!

The 1960’s really were the golden years

Andy

Could contain: Plot, Chart, White Board

• Like 6

Posted

As if the Arctic Northerly wasn’t enough most places were swept by blizzards on 20th to 21st February 1969, just look at this chart for the 20th!

We can only dream guys

Andy

Could contain: Plot, Chart, White Board

• Like 2

Posted
19 minutes ago, Penrith Snow said:

Here is the Daily Weather Report for that day, note midday temperature of -3c and heavy snow in Manchester as an area of drifting snow swept south.

Now that’s what I call a Arctic Northerly unlike the tepid dishwater this week.

Andy

Could contain: Plot, Chart

Thst's one elongated LP stretching right up to the Arctic, pulling down a super Northerly.

Our Palms are in pots, in corners, at back of garden, sheltered against our 6ft back garden fence. They're slow growers, prob only 2 feet tall (had 'em 5 years). Should only get to approx 4 feet. When we bought them had to google the names, as a lot of garden centres sell the bigger variety that 20 years time are full grown palm trees. Peeps though, dont realise the difference, as garden centres dont often explain or give full info on the different species.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, heat, thunderstorms
5 hours ago, Penrith Snow said:

Rant over.

Andy

The cordylines around here are perfectly fine with no sign of damage. Even the date palms around here haven’t died or frazzled, they’re hardy to -8C.

But then it hasn’t been anywhere near as cold here as it has in Cumbria. The lowest temperature all winter was -6C in December. 

Your final paragraph makes you seem unhinged btw. I’d keep that stuff to Facebook if I were you.

Edited by cheese

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heat, sun and thunderstorms in summer. Cold sunny days and snow in winter
1 hour ago, Sunny76 said:

The problem with having average summer temps is that they are more often than not accompanied by cloud, so it is usually either mostly cloudy or overcast (Summer 2021 for instance). I think 21°C would be lovely if it was accompanied by plenty of sunshine. The sun is strong during the summer, so that temp will feel quite warm.

Edited by Weather Enthusiast91

Posted
3 hours ago, *Stormforce~beka* said:

Make mine a rose' please! 😄 Or i'll take red wine ... Or even port!

I've got some nice port! 😉

• Thanks 1

Posted
7 hours ago, Sunny76 said:

It was warmer than that on some days, particularly late June/early July 2021 during the decent Scottish summer.  25C somehow felt much warmer than it does down south, especially when hiking up Ben Nevis!

• Like 1

Posted
3 hours ago, Sunny76 said:

That's the sorted then! I am happy with your dates!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

I think the MAD thread has been on the magic mushrooms again? I get that calling winter's demise in January is more than a tad daft; but so, is all the effort being wasted on incantations about SSWs, blizzards, potent northerlies and piles of all-time cold temperature-records? It's mostly hyperbole! 😄

• Like 3