Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Winter 2022/23 - Moans, Ramps & Chat

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, T Storms.
10 minutes ago, Ed Stone said:

I think the MAD thread has been on the magic mushrooms again? I get that calling winter's demise in January is more than a tad daft; but so, is all the effort being wasted on incantations about SSWs, blizzards, potent northerlies and piles of all-time cold temperature-records? It's mostly hyperbole! 😄

Can't believe a plus 300 chart was posted as an omg that's not good . I don't think they'll ever learn. Especially with the new update GFS that often wrong at day four lol

• Like 4

Posted
21 minutes ago, Ed Stone said:

I think the MAD thread has been on the magic mushrooms again? I get that calling winter's demise in January is more than a tad daft; but so, is all the effort being wasted on incantations about SSWs, blizzards, potent northerlies and piles of all-time cold temperature-records? It's mostly hyperbole! 😄

I think alot of people are a little snow starved at the moment, and right now it does kinda feel like only a SSW is the only mechanism that is going to give much beyond a short lived snow spell. Not to say we won't get another cold spell, or a snow event can't come out of the blue of course, but alot on there want a week long snow event.

At least when we've had cold spells they have had fairly low amounts of cloud. I can't think of anything more depressing at this time of year than a weak tepid easterly dragging in lots of cloud and temperatures at 3-5c day and night. Yes mild weather with clouds is also pretty bleak, but at least my wallet gets a break in that situation to some extent!

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

With the constant fears surrounding Gulf Stream collapse (and the hopes from some quarters) I thought I'd post this in here... Although, in all honesty I really don't know where I should post it!🤔

Edited by Ed Stone
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
36 minutes ago, Ed Stone said:

Instead of the tedious business of looking through innumerable charts to find one you like, could we not just have a facility for people to make their own? would save a lot of time. 🤔   

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow in winter,warm sun in summer!!!!
6 hours ago, *Stormforce~beka* said:

Refer to the previous page for where we will be staying. I do hope it's good enough for you ...

Good!!! LOL! Gotta cheer us all up when the weather is carp one way or t'other!

I feel we need 2 houses now. 1 in Scotland for winter and me you need one in the South for summer ... with a nice pool of course!

Favorite place in the south is Bournemouth,  been there a lot especially when kids were young , always had great weather 😎

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winter, warm/hot summer with the odd storm thrown in

4th crisp sunny day in a row, I could get used to this but I guess I'd better not.

Posted
3 hours ago, johncam said:

Favorite place in the south is Bournemouth,  been there a lot especially when kids were young , always had great weather 😎

Right my darlin'! I'll leave this one for you! Get on rightmove and find us a nice house near the sea please!

Posted
3 minutes ago, *Stormforce~beka* said:

Right my darlin'! I'll leave this one for you! Get on rightmove and find us a nice house near the sea please!

I am on it 😁

• Thanks 1

Posted

Although I do enjoy the cold sunny weather in winter, and this spell has been decent for that, the temps in the morning and evenings are bitterly cold. Even the daytime over the last few days have been almost unbearable to be outside in for long periods of time.

I pity anyone who is homeless right now, as this kind of temp is deadly. 

Hopefully in about 2-3 months time I’ll be leaving the flat at this time with only a light jacket or t shirt. Can’t wait for summer, after all this pitch black darkness since late October.

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Very Hot,Very cold.scared of thunder and lightning.

Ladbible online going for a snow bomb...dated 20/01/23

Just read an article 

to have a decent amount of snow again as the next month begins.

This seems to be heading in off the sea from Greenland, hitting on the north of Ireland and the west of Scotland on February 2, before heading on down across large parts of Scotland and into the northern England over the course of the next day or so.

According to a report in the Daily Star, Netweather’s forecaster Nick Finnis said that a ‘high latitude blocking towards Greenland’ will bring a ‘-NAO’ towards us.

That means a North Atlantic Oscillation dragging cold air towards us in a negative phase.

In layman’s terms, that means ‘wintry precipitation’ will be visited upon us.

Ladbible then went on to say how we could get a polar vortex 😆 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Location: Caterham-on-the-hill, Surrey, 190m asl (home), Heathrow (work)
  • Location: Caterham-on-the-hill, Surrey, 190m asl (home), Heathrow (work)
37 minutes ago, Floatylight said:

Ladbible online going for a snow bomb...dated 20/01/23

Just read an article 

to have a decent amount of snow again as the next month begins.

This seems to be heading in off the sea from Greenland, hitting on the north of Ireland and the west of Scotland on February 2, before heading on down across large parts of Scotland and into the northern England over the course of the next day or so.

According to a report in the Daily Star, Netweather’s forecaster Nick Finnis said that a ‘high latitude blocking towards Greenland’ will bring a ‘-NAO’ towards us.

That means a North Atlantic Oscillation dragging cold air towards us in a negative phase.

In layman’s terms, that means ‘wintry precipitation’ will be visited upon us.

Ladbible then went on to say how we could get a polar vortex 😆 

I read that too in the Daily Star, a random quote from my winter forecast issued back in late November!

• Like 1

Posted

Increasingly looking like winter is going out with a whimper. Even the usual(chicken sure) suspects on the model thread have gone quiet. A warming world eh........

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Bright weather. Warm sunny thundery summers, short cold winters.
20 hours ago, Penrith Snow said:

As if the Arctic Northerly wasn’t enough most places were swept by blizzards on 20th to 21st February 1969, just look at this chart for the 20th!

We can only dream guys

Andy

Could contain: Plot, Chart, White Board

The cold front with milder air behind seems a bit strange! Surely that should be a warm front or warm occlusion?

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Snowy Weather

It's getting pretty desperate now.

Thinking of starting a bring back,  Rob McElwee petition!! 

Regards,

Tom Q. 👍 

Edited by Tom Quintavalle
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Posted

Must be pushing on nearly a month of frosts now, with this spell and the last. Another hard frost last night, still below zero now. Not wintry? My posterior!

• Like 8

Posted
12 hours ago, *Stormforce~beka* said:

Just out of curiosity I had a look at a detached in Bournemouth,  want I liked was one and a half million 🤣a wee bit rich for me

2 minutes ago, ribster said:

Must be pushing on nearly a month of frosts now, with this spell and the last. Another hard frost last night, still below zero now. Not wintry? My posterior!

We are currently 7C , it's really only the South that is still cold 

• Thanks 1

Posted
4 minutes ago, johncam said:

Just out of curiosity I had a look at a detached in Bournemouth,  want I liked was one and a half million 🤣a wee bit rich for me

We are currently 7C , it's really only the South that is still cold 

I'm in the East...

• Like 1

Posted
  • Location: Saltdean,Nr Brighton,East Sussex,Hither Green,SE London.
  • Location: Saltdean,Nr Brighton,East Sussex,Hither Green,SE London.
15 minutes ago, Tom Quintavalle said:

It's getting pretty desperate now.

Thinking of starting a bring back,  Rob McElwee petition!! 

Regards,

Tom Q. 👍 

Loved him!90s

80s Ian Mcaskill

Naughties,Dan corbett.

Think I like the quricky things in life!

So, a two week freeze in December, with some seeing proper snowfall.

A near two week ( unmodelled) cold spell in January with severe frosts and snowfall again for the lucky.

Who would bet their house against another cold spell in February of equal length?

Patterns often emerge at any time of year..

Could the next one be the one that really delivers on a more widespread scale?

Who's with me?

I will say yes.

• Like 3
  • Insightful 1

Posted
17 minutes ago, sunnijim said:

Loved him!90s

80s Ian Mcaskill

Naughties,Dan corbett.

Think I like the quricky things in life!

So, a two week freeze in December, with some seeing proper snowfall.

A near two week ( unmodelled) cold spell in January with severe frosts and snowfall again for the lucky.

Who would bet their house against another cold spell in February of equal length?

Patterns often emerge at any time of year..

Could the next one be the one that really delivers on a more widespread scale?

Who's with me?

I will say yes.

I get puzzled by some of the posts that suggest' just another rubbish winter' . By any standards this winter has given 2 cold spells (not snaps) with some great snow in some locations. Not one of the memorable cold and snowy winters but they are few and far between and if we're being honest always have been. I reckon clusters of cold winters come every 15 years 63, 79, 96, 2010.......... . Maybe this winter is the precursor to something special in next few years. Certainly winters have got milder generally but weirdly where I live in Manchester seems to get more snow years than in the past

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Posted
33 minutes ago, ribster said:

I'm in the East...

SE mate anywhere south of Manchester is south UK 

• Like 1

Posted
9 minutes ago, Rob 79812010 said:

I get puzzled by some of the posts that suggest' just another rubbish winter' . By any standards this winter has given 2 cold spells (not snaps) with some great snow in some locations. Not one of the memorable cold and snowy winters but they are few and far between and if we're being honest always have been. I reckon clusters of cold winters come every 15 years 63, 79, 96, 2010.......... . Maybe this winter is the precursor to something special in next few years. Certainly winters have got milder generally but weirdly where I live in Manchester seems to get more snow years than in the past

Up here the only snowless winters I have had all happened in the 2000's 

• Insightful 1

Posted

Totally agree. Plenty winters here never have one ice day, we've had quite a few this winter. I read accounts of winter weather in the 60/70/80's about regular deep snow etc. They're describing something that never happened on a regular basis, exceptional winters yes, the norm, no. Any reference book describing UK winters would confirm it.

Last really exceptional spell here was 2018, Feb/March. 2009 AND 2010 exceptional winters. We could go to 2030 without another exceptional winter, that would be normal.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...
2 minutes ago, johncam said:

SE mate anywhere south of Manchester is south UK 

When I was staying by Drumnadrochit, 'south' was anywhere farther down than Perth. It's amazing just how quickly one adapts to one's location, innit?

• Like 1