Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Winter 2022/23 - Moans, Ramps & Chat

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, T Storms.
1 hour ago, KTtom said:

I do find it slightly amusing how a few frosty days during the sweet spot of winter is classified as something unusual? Perhaps its an age thing...regarding the definition of a mild or cold winter, only stats will say...its been cold thisnlast week, yes, but very cold taking into account where we are in terms of mid January...dont think so... Ive had 2 frosts this last  week. A straight northerly and west wales would have been blanketed back in the 80's...we had rain showers, if you squint I can just make out a white haze over Snowdonia, the Presselies are green. 

No one has said it is unusual, just that it hasn't been mild. For at least two weeks and counting in the south. Plus December's spell. People are just seeing no snow and equating that to mild weather.

• Like 9

Posted
Just now, alexisj9 said:

No one has said it is unusual, just that it hasn't been mild. For at least two weeks and counting in the south. Plus December's spell. People are just seeing no snow and equating that to mild weather.

This,

• Like 2

Posted
50 minutes ago, Sunny76 said:

It is very cold, and i'm not knocking the weather. I quite enjoy the cold frosty sunny weather, but I definitely need to wear an extra layer when its this cold.

I can guarantee if we have a week of daytime temps exceeding 23-24c during the summer, some folk on here will be complaining that its too hot, when its just average summer temps.

It certainly has been very cold in London with minus temps below 5 happening often at night.

• Like 1

Posted
21 minutes ago, markyo said:

Not sure you would to be honest, 23/24c up to middle 20's even i wouldn't call very hot. ~To call this Winter very cold i struggle with sorry. I know we are very different though in how we feel temps!!

Hold on mate, you have complained once the temps exceed 23c. 

I didn't say it was a cold winter, but it certainly hasn't been a mild one either.

1 minute ago, alexisj9 said:

It certainly has been very cold in London with minus temps below 5 happening often at night.

To some on here, it needs to be -2 to -5 for a number of weeks before they would classify it as cold.

This country is still cold, and will continue to be cold regardless of global warming.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...
27 minutes ago, alexisj9 said:

There's certainly some truth in that, alexis: we'd had more snow in 1975, than we've seen this year?🤔

Edited by Ed Stone

Posted
25 minutes ago, alexisj9 said:

I guess there is a bit of IMBY in people perception... from my point of view then, at no point so far in January has it been cold enough here to snow. We had showers everyday last week (rain) up to yesterday and then today where its been drizzly..

Posted
25 minutes ago, KTtom said:

I guess there is a bit of IMBY in people perception... from my point of view then, at no point so far in January has it been cold enough here to snow. We had showers everyday last week (rain) up to yesterday and then today where its been drizzly..

Had rain the other day here too. Very disappointing, but it's still cold, just to close to the North sea.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Storms, and plenty of warm sunny days!
35 minutes ago, KTtom said:

There is always Imby in people's perception, hence 'Imby'? seven days straight here in East Yorkshire locally we have had over night temps of between -2 and -6, those temps are open to one's interpretation of what is cold?? I personally class that as cold, 🤷‍♂️ record breaking? No....obvs, but still a tad chilly, the nit picking over 'what is cold' is rather tiresome.

Although when based on location and weather preference opinions will no doubt obviously vary!! Each to their own 😉

Edited by Wold Topper
  • Like 5

Posted
4 minutes ago, Wold Topper said:

There is always Imby in people's perception, hence 'Imby'? seven days straight here in East Yorkshire locally we have had over night temps of between -2 and -6, those temps are open to one's interpretation of what is cold?? I personally class that as cold, 🤷‍♂️ record breaking? No....obvs, but still a tad chilly, the nit picking over 'what is cold' is rather tiresome.

Although when based on location and weather preference opinions will no doubt obviously vary!! Each to their own 😉

It's down to the lack of snow, pure and simple. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Posted
4 minutes ago, RhHh said:

Perception? 😉

Posted
3 minutes ago, RhHh said:

I agree, the biggest issue this winter compared to others is the stakes are higher... cold, cloudy, dry etc is expensive...most I think would pay for a good snowfall but to see increased costs with no reward gets most here very frustrated.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...
7 minutes ago, Wold Topper said:

Perception? 😉

Only if one somehow fails to perceive a sneaky snowfall, WT? 😁

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

Winter over???

Posted
4 minutes ago, Ed Stone said:

Only if one somehow fails to perceive a sneaky snowfall, WT? 😁

Being classed as 'sneaky' would be open to one's interpretation, therefore personal perception of the event?? Mr Ed, 😉

• Like 1

Posted
34 minutes ago, Spah1 said:

Winter over???

I didn't read that in the tweet. As it's not coupling could mean the westerly running down from the start, people keep talking about, won't effect out weather. Who knows. Let's just see what happens.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snowy winters and warm sunny summers

In East Cumbria the average temperature between the 10th and 17th December 2022 was -4.2c, it was the third coldest spell since 1987 after January  and December 2010.

It was the 4th coldest spell since 1979 and the 5th coldest week since 1963.

Coming so early in the season also made it unusual, however, we had just one snow shower and no days with snow lying, for such a cold spell that was also highly unusual.

Andy

• Like 6

Posted
46 minutes ago, kold weather said:

Sorry to burst your bubble but that systement is nonsense.

15th December was the coldest since Dec 2010. It was the 2nd coldest 15th December ever.

It also is the 16th coldest day in the last 52 years in that December cold spell. (4 came in 2010 for example).

Only 15 days have been colder in 50 whole years. Out of over 18,000 days in that time period, just 15.

I understand it has not had the length if cold spells as some past wintets, but the peak cold had absolutely been as notable as just about any historical cold blastveven of the 70s/80s, yet alone in the recent period.

We had a fairly sustained run of ice day CET means in December, again unusual for the last 25 years, though not so unusual for the 80s to be sure.

You literally are wrong by calling it one or two cooler spells. The December cold spell was just outright severe at its peak, whether you like it or not. 

15th December was the 10th coldest December day in 120 years. Only 2 December days between 1900-1950 are colder.

But yeah, normal cool spell....

Thank you @kold weather 👏👏👏

Posted

If you've not already seen it, do watch the WinterWatch 1963: The Big Freeze programme which gets its latest airing in this, the 60th anniversary year, at 8pm tomorrow night on BBC4. Now that was cold! Followed at 9pm by a programme on 'cruel winters' in history in the UK. I can't wait! 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heat, sun and thunderstorms in summer. Cold sunny days and snow in winter

Whilst the December cold spell wasn't that cold compared to the likes of 1962/63 and 1981/82, it was still very cold for today's standards and the coldest start to winter since 2010. In fact, temps were very similar to the temps we had during the BFTE, but without the snow. And 13 consecutive below 0 nights (for my location and many other areas in the UK) is quite something for a UK winter of today.

Edited by Weather Enthusiast91
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms and other extremes
6 hours ago, markyo said:

Sorry its not been very cold, that is fact, no records even close to being broken, a few frosts do not equate to very cold. Its Winter and so far a relatively mild one with one or two cooler spells.

I made this point in the model thread a couple of days ago.

The very fact that 3C daytime temperatures, some overnight frosts etc (in what is meant to be deep winter) is being lauded, just goes to show how low our expectations have become.

The March 2006 polar NWly gave more notable weather than the week just gone.

• Like 2
  • Insightful 1

Posted
8 minutes ago, CreweCold said:

I made this point in the model thread a couple of days ago.

The very fact that 3C daytime temperatures, some overnight frosts etc (in what is meant to be deep winter) is being lauded, just goes to show how low our expectations have become.

The March 2006 polar NWly gave more notable weather than the week just gone.

I guess every location is different. For here we've had several ice days both before Christmas and last week. Ice days in that the temperature was hovering maybe at 2C best. In my 50 years of following weather I would say about 10 of them had winter ice days. So while it's been primarily snow less and actually quite boring, for my location at least its been quite cold!

• Like 1