Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Winter 2022/23 - Moans, Ramps & Chat

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and frost in the winter. Hot and sunny, thunderstorms in the summer.

It is unusual to have a spell of such slack conditions and not have the high slowly fill with fog and low cloud. As such we have managed to develop some impressively cold minima. It has been interesting to see the bbc forecast that correct the minima for here downwards by a significant amount (Tonight is now forecast to drop to -5c, it wasn’t even expected to drop below freezing just a couple of days ago).

Whilst we will probably end up with a mild January overall, it does look like it will be a much more moderate anomaly compared to what was expected just a week or so ago.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

What an awful forecast from the Met Office. But at least it'll be mostly dry:

Posted
1 hour ago, alexisj9 said:

Its not the same here, or where he is, more or less a constant 3 ⁰c and cloudy, although some sun has been around on other days I suppose.

It has been a little bit more cloudier this afternoon but its been a fairly good sunny spell here. Interesting what difference being inland makes!

• Like 1

Posted
1 hour ago, matt111 said:

I did notice the warmth of the sun today which was nice. Despite the higher temperatures expected later in the week with it looking cloudy it probably won't really feel much better than it did today. In fact inside it'll probably feel colder as there won't be any sun to warm the house up. 

Your right. The best of the heat is now. Mad innit. The cloud can stay away. I'm happy with the sun. Although could be warmer lol. I think I've adjusted to the cold now though 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Basically intresting weather,cold,windy you name it

So interesting, its the same as usual, the Southern half of the UK  has what even i would call cold temps at night then by default the rest of the UK has them...doesn't work like that but some seem to forget. Conveniently. 

Out come the figures....meaningless in relation to the variation across the UK. The single day minimums quoted are all nothing special. It has not and by the looks of it be a cold Winter for the majority. Far from it.

• Like 1

Posted
50 minutes ago, markyo said:

So interesting, its the same as usual, the Southern half of the UK  has what even i would call cold temps at night then by default the rest of the UK has them...doesn't work like that but some seem to forget. Conveniently. 

Out come the figures....meaningless in relation to the variation across the UK. The single day minimums quoted are all nothing special. It has not and by the looks of it be a cold Winter for the majority. Far from it.

Everyone posts on a imby state. So for me this isn't excellent but it's definitely a good year. The south doesn't see this type of deep cold for extended periods. Weeks of cold, hoar frost and ice. To top it off we needed snow to push it into the excellent but that's not going to happen. 

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Basically intresting weather,cold,windy you name it
48 minutes ago, *Stormforce~beka* said:

Everyone posts on a imby state. So for me this isn't excellent but it's definitely a good year. The south doesn't see this type of deep cold for extended periods. Weeks of cold, hoar frost and ice. To top it off we needed snow to push it into the excellent but that's not going to happen. 

Enjoy if you can...with care but enjoy, it may not happen again in your area for a long time!

• Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and dry, thunderstorms, mild temps (13-22°C).

I'm one of the few people who actually keep weather records on here. I can say, from 1st December - 23rd January, the mean temperature has been 0.3°C below the average. So, it could be considered "slightly cooler than average". Not mild, and not very cold. All in the data.

Edited by ThunderHellCat
  • Like 1
  • Insightful 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snowy winters and warm sunny summers
1 hour ago, LetItSnow! said:

I still think having the coldest temperature for 10-12 years in an otherwise unremarkable HP dominated spell is interesting and not meaningless. Living in London the depth of cold and frost was something I had not seen for many years. It’s always easy to write things off when we’re not there. Beautiful weather actually at the moment. 

London has had a decent winter compared to many recent ones with the heavy snow in December and severe cold in last few days.

Even if February is mild I have known a lot worse winters than this one!

Andy

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snowy winters and warm sunny summers
6 minutes ago, ThunderHellCat said:

I'm one of the few people who actually keep weather records on here. I can say, from 1st December - 23rd January, the mean temperature has been 0.3°C below the average. So, it could be considered "slightly cooler than average". Not mild, and not very cold. All in the data.

Exactly, similar here in East Cumbria with average temperature 0.5c below 1970-2000 average.

• Insightful 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Storms, and plenty of warm sunny days!
2 minutes ago, emmett garland said:

BBC winterwatch now the big  63 freeze

Wasn't this on a few weeks back, am i thinking of the same programme?? TIA

• Like 1

Posted
33 minutes ago, Penrith Snow said:

London has had a decent winter compared to many recent ones with the heavy snow in December and severe cold in last few days.

Even if February is mild I have known a lot worse winters than this one!

Andy

Yeah winter 2018/19 and last years winter were unremarkable, despite having a few cold days here and there. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot sun, storms & ‘Oh no can’t go into work - snowed in’ days
30 minutes ago, Wold Topper said:

Yes, you’re right. It’s been on a couple of times now. BBC programming is leading us all to believe we have dementia setting in!

Although I have a feeling it’s been on BBC4 & Ch5 now…

Edited by RebsAbbo
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
55 minutes ago, markyo said:

Enjoy if you can...with care but enjoy, it may not happen again in your area for a long time!

I've been walking down the hill crookedly so I could walk on the ice in the shade and hear it crunching lol

• Like 4
  • Insightful 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes
1 hour ago, Wold Topper said:

Must of missed it all, but what a programme. We will never see the like again..

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
11 minutes ago, emmett garland said:

Must of missed it all, but what a programme. We will never see the like again..

The prog in BBC 4 now is very interesting...

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes
29 minutes ago, Wold Topper said:

The prog in BBC 4 now is very interesting...

Yes all the important weather related years.The 2 guys in the ballon up to 37000 ft back then.and taking data.Incredible

• Like 4

Posted
Just now, emmett garland said:

Yes all the important weather related years.The 2 guys in the ballon up to 37000 ft back then.and taking data.Incredible

Yeah found that story fascinating, were they brave or foolhardy? Nevertheless as you say, incredible...

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes n snow

Two nights below minus 7C meant the canal has frozen solid again, the overnight fog has led to the bushes and trees becoming white again. 

It was minus 4 at 10am when I filmed this ..

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes n snow
23 minutes ago, Wold Topper said:

Yeah found that story fascinating, were they brave or foolhardy? Nevertheless as you say, incredible...

Just forgot to let go....

• Like 1

Posted
14 hours ago, stainesbloke said:

Wintry again here in the Czech Republic, snowed all afternoon yesterday and now have freezing fog. Not especially cold though, temperature is hovering around -3°C, it’s actually been a fair bit colder in my west London hometown (currently at -7°C).

Could contain: Shelter, Outdoors, Car, Nature, Neighborhood, Spoke, Alloy Wheel, Wheel, Suburb, Weather

Could contain: Shelter, Outdoors, Weather, Nature, Winter, Bag, Snow, Waterfront, Water, Housing

That's what the UK northern folk would call a dusting!! 🤣

• Like 1

Posted
4 minutes ago, matty40s said:

Just forgot to let go....

Were they a basket case....?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Insightful 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines
9 hours ago, Don said:

That's what the UK northern folk would call a dusting!! 🤣

Probably 🤦‍♂️ Some melting going on, as temperatures have crept a touch above freezing. Gloomy skies but have noticed more birdsong this week, spring isn’t that far away 😊