Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Winter 2022/23 - Moans, Ramps & Chat

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extremes
2 minutes ago, Gowon said:

That's the point - 30/40 plus degrees is not lovely and warm🤣

That's damn hot and uncomfortably hot too 🙂 That's getting too hot even for enjoying my golf on an unshaded course.

Mind you, everyone to their own.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, snow, warm sunny days.
Just now, John88B said:

That's damn hot and uncomfortably hot too 🙂 That's getting too hot even for enjoying my golf on an unshaded course.

Mind you, everyone to their own.

It's hell for me unless I'm on a beach in the tropics.

I can barely function in that type of heat.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extremes
1 minute ago, Gowon said:

It's hell for me unless I'm on a beach in the tropics.

I can barely function in that type of heat.

Yep I was going to say not so bad if you're on a beach or by the pool on holiday.

The problem in this country is the humidity that often comes with the heat making it even more unbearable.

The one thing that made last summers particularly hot spell slightly more bearable was that it was a dry heat but it still made working outside very hard and the golf punishing. The beers after a round were very pleasant though.🙂

• Like 1

Posted
10 hours ago, cheese said:

I was recently reminiscing about the amazing summer we had last year - I have some screenshots of the iPhone weather app taken on that record-breaking day. I really hope we get a repeat this year. 😍

Could contain: Sky, Outdoors, Nature, Text, Mobile Phone, Phone, Electronics

Here's a screenshot I took during that spell of weather - honestly the most uncomfortable ive felt in a British Summer.

I don't mind warm weather, it's what summer is but when it gets to that level it's unnecessary heat. Nights were the worst part of it. 

Wouldn't mind a cool, wet Summer 2023. We've already had 2 Top 5 hottest summers in the last 5 years. 

Could contain: Text

• Like 1

Posted
16 minutes ago, Frigid said:

Here's a screenshot I took during that spell of weather - honestly the most uncomfortable ive felt in a British Summer.

I don't mind warm weather, it's what summer is but when it gets to that level it's unnecessary heat. Nights were the worst part of it. 

Wouldn't mind a cool, wet Summer 2023. We've already had 2 Top 5 hottest summers in the last 5 years. 

Could contain: Text

What's more remarkable it the near 20 degree max temp drop... I do recall the 20th was a much cooler day, but not by that much. A cold front moved through thanksfully and the exceptional heat came to an abrupt end. Equivalent of say a min of -10 degrees being followed by a min of 9 degrees in winter - can happen after a cold ridge has done its business replaced by a warm front and balmy south westerlies thereafter.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: All of it!

I’ll admit, it was a bit hot for my liking, I’m a 25c kinda guy, especially if I’m working.

Winter looks like it’s done it’s thing now, wasn’t bad as winters go either.   Spring on the horizon… 

• Like 1

Posted

Oh this is an absolute p**s take now :-(

66959645-0-image-a-2_1674658616888.jpg
WWW.DAILYMAIL.CO.UK

Ibiza, famed for its sun-soaked holiday destinations and parties, saw its beaches covered in snow during the unusual cold snap as Spain saw temperatures as low as...

• Like 6

Posted
3 hours ago, Sunny76 said:

But we get the anti heat brigade bang on about how ‘it’s getting too hot every year’ which is hyperbole, instead of letting folk enjoy the lovely warm sunny weather.

I work in polytunnels and the thermometre stopped at just under 60'c last summer 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: In summer, a decent thunderstorm, and hot weather. In winter, snow or gale
30 minutes ago, damianslaw said:

What's more remarkable it the near 20 degree max temp drop... I do recall the 20th was a much cooler day, but not by that much. A cold front moved through thanksfully and the exceptional heat came to an abrupt end. Equivalent of say a min of -10 degrees being followed by a min of 9 degrees in winter - can happen after a cold ridge has done its business replaced by a warm front and balmy south westerlies thereafter.

That kind of range wasn't far from happening around the 17th to 19th December..

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: 30 Degrees of pure British Celsius
4 hours ago, Sunny76 said:

No, that’s not exactly true.

In fact, the summers have become duller during most of the 2010s and early 2020s. More cloud in peak summer months, and some summers with more rain.

Summer with more rain?...not in the south south east there isn't (haven't you read the reports in papers that green lawns will be a thing of the past)?, yes when it rains probably more substantial amounts, as for cloud amounts if so I haven't noticed it, maybe a case in point towards August onwards when the sst's are topping out.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter Snow, extreme weather, mainly sunny mild summers though.
23 minutes ago, cyclonic happiness said:

Oh this is an absolute p**s take now 😞

WWW.DAILYMAIL.CO.UK

Ibiza, famed for its sun-soaked holiday destinations and parties, saw its beaches covered in snow during the unusual cold snap as Spain saw temperatures as low as...

No it's not blinking unusual, It always snows in Winter in Places like Spain, Italy, Greece, Turkey, South of France, and lets not forget North Africa, in the desert and the middle east.😝

Snow IS unusual on the south coast of the United Kingdom!😄

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold
3 hours ago, Climate Man said:

Mean temp below average here and 7 days lying snow.  Looking forward,  is currently likely to be dry and mild but that hasn't happened yet so I am not sure how the winter has failed,  certainly IMBY.

No snow in January and nothing looking likely for February so far.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter Snow, extreme weather, mainly sunny mild summers though.

I notice central Italy is snowed in as usual. Might have to move there, they get more snow than the alps!

Could contain: Nature, Outdoors, Winter, Blizzard, Snow, Storm

Could contain: Photography, Neighborhood, Outdoors, Person, Nature, City, Building, Architecture, Car, Snow

Could contain: Machine, Tractor, Vehicle, Transportation, Snowplow, Bulldozer, Outdoors, Person, Nature

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

Some more great news from the MAD thread: Operational runs always underestimate the likelihood/resilience of Scandi highs.👍

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.
1 hour ago, cyclonic happiness said:

Oh this is an absolute p**s take now 😞

WWW.DAILYMAIL.CO.UK

Don’t know where they got that from… it hasn’t snowed in Ibiza… Minimum temps have been and are no lower than 5C.

• Like 1
  • Insightful 1

Posted
10 minutes ago, MP-R said:

Don’t know where they got that from… it hasn’t snowed in Ibiza… Minimum temps have been and are no lower than 5C.

Mail and express make up snow stories. Surprised its allowed really

• Like 2

Posted
1 minute ago, Rob 79812010 said:

Mail and express make up snow stories. Surprised its allowed really

Well they make up everything else so why would they be any different with the weather?! I wouldn’t wipe my backside with either of them.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.
1 minute ago, trickydicky said:

Well they make up everything else so why would they be any different with the weather?! I wouldn’t wipe my backside with either of them.

Well yes exactly haha.

Ive just been in northeast Spain and, yes, it was quite cold by their standards but nothing less than average in this country away from the Pyrenees.

• Insightful 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, snow, warm sunny days.
14 minutes ago, Ed Stone said:

Some more great news from the MAD thread: Operational runs always underestimate the likelihood/resilience of Scandi highs.👍

Who said that?

Posted
14 minutes ago, trickydicky said:

Awful papers. Sadly the most read

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow in winter,warm sun in summer!!!!
23 minutes ago, Ed Stone said:

What Scandi high for starters , the met ain't seeing this ,best we can hooe for is a high over us for a while before it sinks Se , mabye get a frost out of it , 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...
Just now, johncam said:

What Scandi high for starters , the met ain't seeing this ,best we can hooe for is a high over us for a while before it sinks Se , mabye get a frost out of it , 

Indeed -- what Scandi high! Oh, I don't know @Gowon, but I've seen it written more times than I can remember, over the years. 😊

Posted
1 hour ago, Beanz said:

I’ll admit, it was a bit hot for my liking, I’m a 25c kinda guy, especially if I’m working.

Winter looks like it’s done it’s thing now, wasn’t bad as winters go either.   Spring on the horizon… 

Mmm a little premature I feel to be saying its done its thing, it has a nasty habit of biting back come early Spring when least expected, alas that wasn't the case last year, but at the 29 jan point especially further north, far from a done deal.

Posted
1 hour ago, prolongedSnowLover said:

No snow in January and nothing looking likely for February so far.

Again - I must emphasise how its best to keep an open mind and expect sudden changes, there are 28 days in Feb, and whilst yes the first part of the month most likely won't produce snow.. widespread at least, can't say for certain how second half will pan out at this point. As many wrote off Jan before it began this year (and yes not all saw snow), but quite a few did..

• Like 2