Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Winter 2022/23 - Moans, Ramps & Chat

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, snow, warm sunny days.
5 minutes ago, Ed Stone said:

Indeed -- what Scandi high! Oh, I don't know @Gowon, but I've seen it written more times than I can remember, over the years. 😊

Over the years?!🤣👍

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold ,snow
48 minutes ago, Ed Stone said:

Some more great news from the MAD thread: Operational runs always underestimate the likelihood/resilience of Scandi highs.👍

Tbh Ed if we lower the bar any lower wel be drinking a pint on floor! Barring a short snap in December it's been bang average unless frost floats your boat. 😒😒

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold
18 minutes ago, damianslaw said:

Again - I must emphasise how its best to keep an open mind and expect sudden changes, there are 28 days in Feb, and whilst yes the first part of the month most likely won't produce snow.. widespread at least, can't say for certain how second half will pan out at this point. As many wrote off Jan before it began this year (and yes not all saw snow), but quite a few did..

Well we’re off to Norway for a weeks skiing and to see proper winter in early March! Best to not expect anything from this pathetic country’s winter weather.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, prolongedSnowLover said:

Well we’re off to Norway for a weeks skiing and to see proper winter in early March! Best to not expect anything from this pathetic country’s winter weather.

Have some realistic expectations and then you won't be disappointed or feel the need to constantly vent about our weather. 👍

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heat, sun and thunderstorms in summer. Cold sunny days and snow in winter
6 hours ago, Sunny76 said:

But we get the anti heat brigade bang on about how ‘it’s getting too hot every year’ which is hyperbole, instead of letting folk enjoy the lovely warm sunny weather.

There is a big difference between moaning about the weather (which is what the moan threads are for) and trying to make others feel bad for liking a particular weather type. Nobody should be guilt tripped into having different weather preferences to you. This applies to those who guilt trip in both the summer and winter.

Edited by Weather Enthusiast91
  • Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter Snow, extreme weather, mainly sunny mild summers though.
3 minutes ago, knocker said:

It is way past the time when 'Scandi High' should have been locked in the swear filter.🙃

And probably BFTE!😄

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...
1 minute ago, snowray said:

And probably BFTE!😄

and 'retrogression'!👍

• Thanks 1

Posted
1 hour ago, Weather Enthusiast91 said:

There is a big difference between moaning about the weather (which is what the moan threads are for) and trying to make others feel bad for liking a particular weather type. Nobody should be guilt tripped into having different weather preferences to you. This applies to those who guilt trip in both the summer and winter.

In the years I was a regular poster on this site this discussion cropped up at frequent intervals. I feel this would be pretty much resolved if the MOD thread was renamed to ,'chasing cold - winter 2022-23' which, when all is said and done, is the raison d'etre of the thread anyway

Edited by knocker
  • Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, T Storms.
8 hours ago, Sunny76 said:

But we get the anti heat brigade bang on about how ‘it’s getting too hot every year’ which is hyperbole, instead of letting folk enjoy the lovely warm sunny weather.

Don't get me wrong, I don't mind warm sunny weather, but a bedroom at 30⁰c all night is another matter.

8 hours ago, Sunny76 said:

No I don’t want a cool summer.

Not after a chilly winter. Or any type of winter for that matter.

Give me long periods of 24-27c with sunshine and I’ll be happy.

So will I perfect.

• Like 1

Posted
7 hours ago, KTtom said:

To be fair though, its not the weather that has lead to that scenario its the government...the emphasis is on the affordability not the cold.

Where as that is true, it's been a problem re pensioners for much longer than just this expensive year, it's only getting attention now cause it's effecting everyone else too. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Basically intresting weather,cold,windy you name it

Yet again this is looking like another year with little or no Winter weather. I can just pray we do not get a repeat of last years Summer. Just a normal sub 30c summer will do. I think we can say Winters are now really the exception, a thing of the past sadly. The UK's climate is changing for the worse with out a doubt.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Posted
9 minutes ago, markyo said:

Yet again this is looking like another year with little or no Winter weather. I can just pray we do not get a repeat of last years Summer. Just a normal sub 30c summer will do. I think we can say Winters are now really the exception, a thing of the past sadly. The UK's climate is changing for the worse with out a doubt.

I can't agree with you re winter this year, down here it's proven it still exists and can be cold for long periods, more than once a year. We've had two, two week cold spells, in fact we are in a third week now, with just a two day break, in between, when the cold front went through with some fresher air that warmed things up, but here, not even to average temps. Ok no snow, but no snow doesn't equal, no winter.

I do agree on past years it would have been colder, but it still would have been dry, and there still would have been a SW wind in East Kent keeping the SE snow in December, as rain here.

Edited by alexisj9
  • Like 1

Posted
17 minutes ago, markyo said:

Honestly, I think this all depends where you live. We've had 2 significant cold spells, the first one with deep cold for 7 to 10 days. Some have had some good snowfalls too. December colder than average. I've known far far worse winters

• Like 4

Posted
4 hours ago, snowray said:

No it's not blinking unusual, It always snows in Winter in Places like Spain, Italy, Greece, Turkey, South of France, and lets not forget North Africa, in the desert and the middle east.😝

Snow IS unusual on the south coast of the United Kingdom!😄

That's Ibiza and it is unusual

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winter, warm/hot summer with the odd storm thrown in

Yes I'd say we've definitely had winter weather here with some of the temperatures we've had at times. No snow though which does let it down quite a bit. 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter Snow, extreme weather, mainly sunny mild summers though.
2 hours ago, JoeShmoe said:

And SSW !

I was thinking that too, but it would not be very popular😮, apart from that, about half of the Winter postings would disappear.😭

Edited by snowray
  • Like 2

Posted
50 minutes ago, alexisj9 said:

I can't agree with you re winter this year, down here it's proven it still exists and can be cold for long periods, more than once a year. We've had two, two week cold spells, in fact we are in a third week now, with just a two day break, in between, when the cold front went through with some fresher air that warmed things up, but here, not even to average temps. Ok no snow, but no snow doesn't equal, no winter.

I do agree on past years it would have been colder, but it still would have been dry, and there still would have been a SW wind in East Kent keeping the SE snow in December, as rain here.

It snowed here right down to the beach in December.

• Like 2

Posted
4 minutes ago, snowray said:

It snowed here right down to the beach in December.

You was on the right side of the low, it was centered in West Kent.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and thunderstorms. Pleasantly warm summers but no heat.
1 hour ago, markyo said:

In terms of summer yeah I agree and I'm not looking forward to it.... still got a while but slowly it is inching closer now, I have a west facing bedroom which is a nightmare to cool down even if it's in the 20s outside never mind 30s, all it takes is a few sunny days and it becomes a greenhouse in there. And then there's the reservoirs it's a good job we had all that rain in Autumn otherwise we'd have been in trouble by now given how low the reservoirs was in September.

Edited by Dark Horse
  • Like 3

Posted
3 hours ago, knocker said:

It is way past the time when 'Scandi High' should have been locked in the swear filter.🙃

Boom ! 😣 ' oh well it would be rude not to' 😣

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold
4 hours ago, Tidal Wave said:

Have some realistic expectations and then you won't be disappointed or feel the need to constantly vent about our weather. 👍

When’s the last time lowland southern U.K. saw significant snowfall in January ??

Have to accept the global warming has changed our climate for the worse!!

• Thanks 1

Posted
5 hours ago, swfc said:

Tbh Ed if we lower the bar any lower wel be drinking a pint on floor! Barring a short snap in December it's been bang average unless frost floats your boat. 😒😒

For once im actually content this year...my preference is snow, my hate is severe gales and constant rain..so, neither have occurred here, so the winter so far goes in the ok basket.

Edited by KTtom
  • Like 4