Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Winter 2022/23 - Moans, Ramps & Chat

Posted
5 hours ago, prolongedSnowLover said:

Well we’re off to Norway for a weeks skiing and to see proper winter in early March! Best to not expect anything from this pathetic country’s winter weather.

I think you meant this country's pathetic winter weather. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, T Storms.
2 hours ago, Dark Horse said:

In terms of summer yeah I agree and I'm not looking forward to it.... still got a while but slowly it is inching closer now, I have a west facing bedroom which is a nightmare to cool down even if it's in the 20s outside never mind 30s, all it takes is a few sunny days and it becomes a greenhouse in there. And then there's the reservoirs it's a good job we had all that rain in Autumn otherwise we'd have been in trouble by now given how low the reservoirs was in September.

Mines south facing, and exactly the same problem, plus the roof. Heat too. But it's nice during sunny winter days, south side of the house warms up with the sun, less heating gets used.

Edited by alexisj9
  • Like 1

Posted
10 hours ago, snowray said:

I notice central Italy is snowed in as usual. Might have to move there, they get more snow than the alps!

Could contain: Nature, Outdoors, Winter, Blizzard, Snow, Storm

Could contain: Photography, Neighborhood, Outdoors, Person, Nature, City, Building, Architecture, Car, Snow

Could contain: Machine, Tractor, Vehicle, Transportation, Snowplow, Bulldozer, Outdoors, Person, Nature

That looks like Capracotta, a well-known snow magnet up in the mountains. You won't see that in Rome.

Bratislava has been a place of contrasts this past week owing to the city's variable topography. There's only patches of snow in the lower suburbs but decent cover higher up and quite a lot in the forest.

Could contain: Weather, Nature, Outdoors, Fog, Snow, Winter, Ice

Could contain: Ice, Weather, Nature, Outdoors, Winter, Frost, Snow, Handrail

Could contain: Nature, Outdoors, Tree, Plant, Weather, Winter, Ice, Snow, Blizzard, Storm

Could contain: Tree, Fir, Car, Outdoors, Nature, Weather, Winter, Person, Snow, Scenery

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
6 hours ago, markyo said:

Yet again this is looking like another year with little or no Winter weather. I can just pray we do not get a repeat of last years Summer. Just a normal sub 30c summer will do. I think we can say Winters are now really the exception, a thing of the past sadly. The UK's climate is changing for the worse with out a doubt.

Mmm disagree on this one, the 7-17 Dec period was the coldest spell of weather since Dec 2010. Admittedly not very snowy for many. 

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms and other extremes
27 minutes ago, damianslaw said:

Mmm disagree on this one, the 7-17 Dec period was the coldest spell of weather since Dec 2010. Admittedly not very snowy for many. 

No point in it being desperately cold if there's no snow IMO. Fair enough if it snows and then the cold maintains it afterwards, but that period was an utter waste of decent synoptics.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Posted
Just now, CreweCold said:

No point in it being desperately cold if there's no snow IMO. Fair enough if it snows and then the cold maintains it afterwards, but that period was an utter waste of decent synoptics.

Yes it was, albeit always get some who are lucky of course.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Basically intresting weather,cold,windy you name it
8 hours ago, damianslaw said:

Sorry, tend to disagree, yes it was the coldest period since 2010 but to be honest thats not hard to do really. Not one large area max daytime negative temp, some localised yes but nothing wide spread. I travel trans Pennie ever day, days lost due to Winter weather in a normal winter would be in the low teens, this year its zero again. And thats on a 1400ft route. So for me this hasn't been a winter again.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: cold and snowy. Summer: hot and sunny
10 hours ago, CreweCold said:

True, but it wasn't snowless for all. Had our best spell of snow here for many years, which lay thick on the ground for a week with almost no melt. 

• Like 1

Posted

I think the positive in the model output at the moment is that we don't seem to be seeing a return of the Atlantic, zonal train any time soon. Snow and real cold is looking hard to come by, but dry and settled weather is far better, in my opinion, than wind and rain. 

Edited by danm
  • Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Love heat & thunderstorms, but hate the cold
14 hours ago, NEVES SCREAMER said:

Spring now 4 weeks and a couple of days away. The long vigil since November 1st is nearly over. 

and the closer it gets, the more i'm looking forward to it 

• Like 1

Posted
45 minutes ago, danm said:

True, but it wasn't snowless for all. Had our best spell of snow here for many years, which lay thick on the ground for a week with almost no melt. 

Same with Manchester! Think North West faired well

• Like 1

Posted

yes but when springs arrives the cold weather patterns suddenly appear,so dont expect March to feel any warmer than the pathetic attempt of winter that jan and feb have now become.

Incredible contrast between usa and europe temperature wise at the moment,how pathetic we can never get a cold anamoly like they can.

Its colder in LAS vegas for example,how pathetic is that.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
3 hours ago, danm said:

I think the positive in the model output at the moment is that we don't seem to be seeing a return of the Atlantic, zonal train any time soon. Snow and real cold is looking hard to come by, but dry and settled weather is far better, in my opinion, than wind and rain. 

Ya there's enough mud in my garden to last a 100 years thanks!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winter, warm/hot summer with the odd storm thrown in

Plenty of mud around here too again now. Hardly any rain since the end of the cold spell but what was there from all the rain we head before the cold spell had now become unfrozen. Maybe if we don’t get a lot of rain over the coming weeks it might dry out. Abut. 

• Like 2

Posted
15 minutes ago, matt111 said:

Plenty of mud around here too again now. Hardly any rain since the end of the cold spell but what was there from all the rain we head before the cold spell had now become unfrozen. Maybe if we don’t get a lot of rain over the coming weeks it might dry out. Abut. 

I suppose we are lucky down here, it's been cold and dry, with no frost, so we have dried out a bit, not fully though.

Posted
  • Location: Caterham-on-the-hill, Surrey, 190m asl (home), Heathrow (work)
22 minutes ago, matt111 said:

With a decent breeze or wind and some sun, which looks likely next few days, it should dry a little on the surface in areas exposed. Too early for evapotranspiration to do the top like is does in spring / summer.

• Like 3

Posted

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Unseasonably cold weather (at all times of year), wind, and thunderstorms.
15 hours ago, CreweCold said:

Ideally I'd have both, but if I had to choose one then I'd always pick cold over snow. Was a delightful period of weather IMO.

• Like 1

Posted
10 minutes ago, Nick F said:

With a decent breeze or wind and some sun, which looks likely next few days, it should dry a little on the surface in areas exposed. Too early for evapotranspiration to do the top like is does in spring / summer.

Not if you have sub zero DP, but of course we haven't got that.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

Not a bad Met Office weekly -- 12-14C over the weekend?👍

• Like 7

Posted
10 minutes ago, Ed Stone said:

Not a bad Met Office weekly -- 12-14C over the weekend?👍

If that happens it when I'll try to clear my garden, figures crossed. 

• Like 1

Posted
19 minutes ago, alexisj9 said:

Not if you have sub zero DP, but of course we haven't got that.

True. Quite often people wonder why snow disappears even though temp remains below 0C, i.e. sublimation, same happens with drying of wet ground with very dry air (low DPs) even if above 0C.

Edited by Nick F
  • Like 1

Posted
17 minutes ago, Nick F said:

True. Quite often people wonder why snow disappears even though temp remains below 0C, i.e. sublimation, same happens with drying of wet ground with very dry air (low DPs) even if above 0C.

As happened here during this cold spell, after two days I could walk the hill again. It's quite nice now.