Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Winter 2022/23 - Moans, Ramps & Chat

Posted
1 hour ago, johncam said:

What ? is this for an overnight frost,  good god 

This kind of thing gives you Jocks more ammunition to laugh at us southern softies. I’ve checked and we might get down to minus 5 which will be up to about zero by 9am in the sunshine. We certainly don’t need a warning for that.

Lame

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, T Storms.
2 hours ago, johncam said:

What ? is this for an overnight frost,  good god 

If it was just over night frosts probably not, they expect it to stay cold obviously. It doesn't matter for most anyway, this is to cares, and vulnerable people who need watching in the cold, along with cold weather action plans for hospitals, gritters, etc etc.

Posted
2 hours ago, Turnedoutniceagain said:

James Madden's been unleashed on the media - again

Heavy snow warning: Exact date forecasters say PERFECT STORM fuelled by 200MPH jet stream could bring 'wall of snow' to UK (gbnews.uk)

Lol sounds like they think snow is coming from the SW the way they wrote that headline. Do they ever make sense. GB news, they had to find a home somewhere I suppose. 

Edited by alexisj9

Posted
2 hours ago, Rob 79812010 said:

I take it that's where the Express get their weather headlines. I swear in January they said we were actually experiencing a big freeze when the temps ranged from 7 to 11 degrees!🙄

It was colder down here.

Edited by alexisj9

Posted
41 minutes ago, saintkip said:

This kind of thing gives you Jocks more ammunition to laugh at us southern softies. I’ve checked and we might get down to minus 5 which will be up to about zero by 9am in the sunshine. We certainly don’t need a warning for that.

Lame

It's not for us, it for vulnerable people who need help in the cold, including homeless. That warning opens the overnight shelters, warns hospitals they might get more people in, like elderly who are not using heating, which has been a problem in this country for many years, cares/neighbours to check on vulnerable people they look after, live near, gritters, they do grit for frost. It to put the cold weather infrastructure on standby basically. It's not for anyone else.

Edited by alexisj9
Put wrong word, snow changed to frost.
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...
2 hours ago, Eagle Eye said:

If you jumble a load of scientific words together into a headline. The public think you're going to be correct.

A homeopathic weather forecast, seasoned with astrological alchemical sauce? 👍

• Like 1

Posted
42 minutes ago, Rob 79812010 said:

Is there a danger on these forums that we tend to fantasise about past winters? I find myself doing it and then check myself. No doubt winters have become milder overall but I also remember long snowless periods in the past. 1970 to 76 comes to mind before the colder winters of the late 70's. Apparently 1900 to 1915 were generally mild winters. This year has been pretty good I think. Compared to 61 to 91 its not far off cet average.  Compared to 91 to 2021 we are below average for UK temps. Also, because this winter has flitted from very mild to very cold, the cold periods have been quite memorable. Manchester, which rarely sees snow has done well this last few years including this year

I think you are right. Even during the 80's, which are famed for their cold and snowy winters, there are some non-memorable ones.

1979/80 - don't remember this at all not sure there was any snow down this way.

1980/81 - see above.

1981/82 - several decent snowfalls in December then a proper blizzard in Jan.

1982/83 - one snowfall in Feb. Not a big fall and I remember being really disappointed compared to the previous winter.

1983/84 - the fabled cold zonality but it was pants down here. One wet snowfall in Jan which just about lasted the day.

1984/85 - a good one with a cold and snowy spell in Jan and Feb.

1985/86 - a long freezing spell in Feb but not much snow until the breakdown in early March.

1986/87 - a generally cold January with an amazing cold and snowy spell early on.

and that was it. 87/88, 88/89 and 89/90 were all mild and snowless.

So I think this winter hasn't been too bad. Two cold spells and a decent snowfall in December. Still plenty of time for another cold and snowy spell with talk of an SSW. If that does happen then it's up there with 2017/18, but even now I still think it's been a decent winter.

It may have been different in other parts of the country but that's how I see it down here.

Posted
10 minutes ago, snowblind said:

I think you are right. Even during the 80's, which are famed for their cold and snowy winters, there are some non-memorable ones.

1980/81 - see above.

1982/83 - one snowfall in Feb. Not a big fall and I remember being really disappointed compared to the previous winter.

1983/84 - the fabled cold zonality but it was pants down here. One wet snowfall in Jan which just about lasted the day.

1985/86 - a long freezing spell in Feb but not much snow until the breakdown in early March.

1986/87 - a generally cold January with an amazing cold and snowy spell early on.

So I think this winter hasn't been too bad. Two cold spells and a decent snowfall in December. Still plenty of time for another cold and snowy spell with talk of an SSW. If that does happen then it's up there with 2017/18, but even now I still think it's been a decent winter.

It may have been different in other parts of the country but that's how I see it down here.

And we are in very different parts of the country too so we can't be the only ones! In Manchester in the 80s it was really the 81/82 one that stood out. Definitely more snow here in recent years but not as cold as 80s. Major snow events for Manchester have always been every 10 year events ie 6 inches

Posted
16 minutes ago, snowblind said:

1980/81 - see above.

I think you probably get better snowfalls?? The heavy falls I remember were 79, 2010, 1996 and 2018. 2018 probs only 3 inches (good for Manc) but the best blizzard I ever saw. Proper powder snow and no melt for a week. Perfect

Posted
Just now, Rob 79812010 said:

We had the cold spell in Manc but this was when it was milder for us all. I believe you had excellent cold in Dover. Much snow??

Nope none yet, one evening some heavy shower came in from the channel, and bought with them small ice crystals, perhaps the smallest hail I've ever seen, but it landed like snow till the main SE snow event, in December, gave us rain.

Posted
30 minutes ago, Rob 79812010 said:

I think you probably get better snowfalls?? The heavy falls I remember were 79, 2010, 1996 and 2018. 2018 probs only 3 inches (good for Manc) but the best blizzard I ever saw. Proper powder snow and no melt for a week. Perfect

I reckon we do better from easterlies but you'd do better from northerlies, north westerlies. An average snowfall around here would be 3 to 4 inches. Less often 6 inches or so, Jan/Feb 1979, December and Jan 81/82, December 2010, Feb 2012, Feb/March 2018. And very occasionally 1ft plus Jan 1987 and Feb 1991 (I was living in North East London at the time).

Posted
5 hours ago, snowblind said:

I reckon we do better from easterlies but you'd do better from northerlies, north westerlies. An average snowfall around here would be 3 to 4 inches. Less often 6 inches or so, Jan/Feb 1979, December and Jan 81/82, December 2010, Feb 2012, Feb/March 2018. And very occasionally 1ft plus Jan 1987 and Feb 1991 (I was living in North East London at the time).

Funnily enough I was having a weekend in London in Feb 12 and remember it snowed heavily on the sat night we stayed. Am not sure its possible to have 1 ft of snow in Manc. I say that in all seriousness as I know 63 it was 9 inches in suburbs and 6 inches in the town centre and that was the mother of winters apparently. A lot of my family live in a shrewsbury. It snows less than MC but about every 10 to 15 years they get a 1ft snowfall. I think in Manc its because we can't get the Easterly falls over the pennines for long enough to produce that amount and if its Atlantic driven hitting cold air it would turn to rain before it ever got near a foot. Maybe 1947 but can't find that out

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!
26 minutes ago, nick sussex said:

At this point I’d be happy with a covering of snow ! Record breaking would have to go some to rival 2018 .

Snow in Cyprus?

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold winters, hot summers
5 minutes ago, I remember Atlantic 252 said:

Snow in Cyprus?

Not only 

DEC18Snow.jpg
WWW.KEEPTALKINGGREECE.COM

National Meteorological Service warns of cold weather front "Barbara" that will hit Greece with dense snowfalls even in lowland, stormy north

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold
6 minutes ago, Vikos said:

Not only 

DEC18Snow.jpg

National Meteorological Service warns of cold weather front "Barbara" that will hit Greece with dense snowfalls even in lowland, stormy north

Don’t Greece get dense fog ? 😳

Posted
13 minutes ago, I remember Atlantic 252 said:

Snow in Cyprus?

I’m not in Cyprus at the moment . I’m back in sunny Eastbourne !

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winter, warm/hot summer with the odd storm thrown in

Will be nice to see the sun tomorrow and it might even last all day rather than a short time at each end of the day like a few occasions this week. 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Enjoy the weather, you can't take it with you 😎
5 minutes ago, ANYWEATHER said:

giphy.gif

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot n cold
1 hour ago, Vikos said:

Not only 

DEC18Snow.jpg

as ever

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow in winter,warm sun in summer!!!!

Not frosty for everyone though , we have 1 frost forecasted in next seven days 

• Like 1

Posted
1 minute ago, johncam said:

Not frosty for everyone though , we have 1 frost forecasted in next seven days 

Meanwhile another week of air frosts in the south east  will make it about 25 to 30 airfrosts. Not to be sniffed at and its noticeable that the daffs and crocs are slower this year 

• Like 9

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk
2 hours ago, matt111 said:

Will be nice to see the sun tomorrow and it might even last all day rather than a short time at each end of the day like a few occasions this week. 

The sunshine will certainly be welcome. Doesn't look particularly cold either.

• Like 2