Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Winter 2022/23 - Moans, Ramps & Chat

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, T Storms.
1 minute ago, lassie23 said:

They have now moved to searching for cold in the back end of February in the MOD thread.🤦‍♂️

Well at least they are not looking for it in April now.

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, sleet, Snow
1 minute ago, alexisj9 said:

😂 Probably turn up in spring tbh

• Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter Snow, extreme weather, mainly sunny mild summers though.
3 minutes ago, lassie23 said:

They have now moved to searching for cold in the back end of February in the MOD thread.🤦‍♂️

It will be the white Easter next, then showers in May!😆

I don't mind early March snow, thats about it though.

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter Snow, extreme weather, mainly sunny mild summers though.
6 minutes ago, alexisj9 said:

They will be soon enough, trust me. Why has February become such a warming month, I don't get it, my birthday is in middle of the Feb, and I always remember snow either before, during of after.

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, sleet, Snow
2 minutes ago, snowray said:

They will be soon enough, trust me. Why has February become such a warming month, I don't get it, my birthday is in middle of the Feb, and I always remember snow either before, during of after.

Global worming🪱

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
51 minutes ago, lassie23 said:

Global worming🪱

Yes of course Lass, well it's called Climate Change now. 

Don't seem to effect anywhere else globally, just us! 

Could contain: Plot, Chart, Map, Atlas, Diagram, Outdoors, Nature

Edited by snowray
  • Like 3
  • Insightful 1

Can't see any SSW (even if it leads to a mild reversal) having much of an effect on the UK this year.

In fact, if anything, the HP over Europe could become stronger, hopefully we can get in on that otherwise it might lead to a grey, wet couple of weeks.

I'd be happy to put my money on winter (snow shots) being over for most of the UK.

Edited by DCee

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot

Got incredibly lucky here in December with the snow making it further north and west than perhaps anticipated, but it felt like a waste of a cold spell. Proper, deep cold with the days at their shortest but such little snow chances considering the cold was in place for more than a week. 

Feeling lovely by day in the sunshine, I'm switching into spring mode now. Bring on the first mid-teen days.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Posted

This may well turn out to be the least 'windy' winter season on record in England and Wales I imagine and not good for those wind turbines and promoting renewable energy. The amount of windless calm days has been remarkable.

• Like 5

Posted
11 minutes ago, Nick L said:

Got incredibly lucky here in December with the snow making it further north and west than perhaps anticipated, but it felt like a waste of a cold spell. Proper, deep cold with the days at their shortest but such little snow chances considering the cold was in place for more than a week. 

Feeling lovely by day in the sunshine, I'm switching into spring mode now. Bring on the first mid-teen days.

One big blessing about this winter I guess has been the absence by and large (and yes I know some places have seen localised flooding, and the cold in early Dec was notable), of any especially extreme troublesome weather - no major storms, or major flooding, or really severe cold (still time I guess...), against the political backdrop, energy crisis, recovery from Covid, and cost of living troubles - the one thing we needed this winter more than ever was the weather to behave itself, and it has and is doing so by and large!

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, T Storms.
1 hour ago, DCee said:

Can't see any SSW (even if it leads to a mild reversal) having much of an effect on the UK this year.

In fact, if anything, the HP over Europe could become stronger, hopefully we can get in on that otherwise it might lead to a grey, wet couple of weeks.

I'd be happy to put my money on winter (snow shots) being over for most of the UK.

I think what people are hoping is some low pressure moves east under the high, lifting it up higher, so we have an east flow over us, but I'm not sure either. Anyway we'll see what happens when it happens.

Edited by alexisj9
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold snowy winters, mild/warm summers and varied shoulder seasons

Personal observations I have no real data to back this claim up but I have found lately the past few years the weather instead of having varied weather in say a week the weather has lurched between extreme bone dry settled spells and washouts with weeks of wall to wall rain each spell lasting around 4-6 weeks. 

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot
26 minutes ago, Catbrainz said:

Personal observations I have no real data to back this claim up but I have found lately the past few years the weather instead of having varied weather in say a week the weather has lurched between extreme bone dry settled spells and washouts with weeks of wall to wall rain each spell lasting around 4-6 weeks. 

I agree, there has definitely been a marked shift in our weather. We don't seem to have regular rainfall any more, it's either flood or drought!

• Like 4

Posted
3 hours ago, snowray said:

It will be the white Easter next, then showers in May!😆

I don't mind early March snow, thats about it though.

Well to be fair, this has a bit of a 2012 feeling about it.  The Scottish Ski Season came to a grinding halt after mid February, not a single ski lift run for snowsports in March 2012, yet this was Coire Cas on CairnGorm on Sat 12th May 2012!

Could contain: Piste, Nature, Outdoors, Snow, Slope, Person, Shoe, Helmet, Mountain, Handbag

• Like 2

Posted
20 minutes ago, skifreak said:

Well to be fair, this has a bit of a 2012 feeling about it.  The Scottish Ski Season came to a grinding halt after mid February, not a single ski lift run for snowsports in March 2012, yet this was Coire Cas on CairnGorm on Sat 12th May 2012!

Could contain: Piste, Nature, Outdoors, Snow, Slope, Person, Shoe, Helmet, Mountain, Handbag

Yes this happens quite frequently. In fact I often check on the Scottish mountain's for snow cover in May and see the fresh snowfall, crazy really.

What I don't want to see this May, and this is turns up quite regularly, is a massive Scandi high that produces those very chilly easterly winds right down the east and SE coast of the UK. This results in North wales basking in 20c plus sunshine, and somewhere like Margate freezing cold at less than 10c!

• Like 1

Posted
1 hour ago, alexisj9 said:

I think what people are hoping is some low pressure moves east under the high, lifting it up higher, so we have an east flow over us, but I'm not sure either. Anyway we'll see what happens when it happens.

Don't seem to happen much any more, that's why on the chart that I posted earlier you done see snow cover much in Central France and NW Italy, away from the Alps. Any undercut when HP is far enough north just seems to fizzle out. All the energy goes over the top of the high and dumps lots of snow on it's way down in the east/SE Europe etc. Then the HP sinks again.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish plumes & stormy winters. Facebook @ Lance's Lightning Shots
2 hours ago, damianslaw said:

This may well turn out to be the least 'windy' winter season on record in England and Wales I imagine and not good for those wind turbines and promoting renewable energy. The amount of windless calm days has been remarkable.

I live in a generally very windy location and even I've not noticed any of it for weeks now.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk

I like to use my "wind run" data to see whether months/seasons have been windy or not, it's quite a handy data set.

December: 3406 miles - 895 below my average.
January: 4188 miles - 251 above my average.
* February: 583 miles - 3890 below my average.
* Winter: 8177 miles - 4535 below my average.

Edited by Mapantz
  • Like 1
  • Insightful 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heat, sun and thunderstorms in summer. Cold sunny days and snow in winter
2 hours ago, Catbrainz said:

Yes, I have noticed this and seems to have been a common pattern since late 2021. It looks like we are having another long dry period now, following weeks of rainfall. Whilst I am enjoying all this sunshine, I do fear that we are in for a washout spring.

Surely, the pattern has to break eventually. I miss the varied weather we used to have.

Edited by Weather Enthusiast91
  • Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winter, warm/hot summer with the odd storm thrown in

Yes my area is known for windy weather too and it's been calm for most of the winter. We've had the odd windier day but nothing exceptional and very few and far between.

19 minutes ago, Weather Enthusiast91 said:

Surely, the pattern has to break eventually. I miss the varied weather we used to have.

So do I, it's just not the same at the moment.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms and other extremes

We're stuck in the same general pattern and have been for some time (bar the odd interruption)

This chart is basically the winter version of what happened in summer...Azores HP in control with ridge sheared off into Europe and a small LP trapped near Portugal (remember the heat pump?)...

Could contain: Plot, Chart, Accessories, Outdoors

The type of pattern that leads to a heat dome in summer.

It's really worrying just how robust and long lived this pattern has been.

We can only hope that this pattern can shift before summer because if not a lot of Europe will be in big trouble with dangerous levels of heat. The Med has barely had chance to cool off and any such spell again may be a degree or two more extreme this time around.

The SSW could be a blessing in this respect as it may serve to reshuffle the NH cards.

Edited by CreweCold
  • Like 5

Posted
2 hours ago, CreweCold said:

We're stuck in the same general pattern and have been for some time (bar the odd interruption)

This chart is basically the winter version of what happened in summer...Azores HP in control with ridge sheared off into Europe and a small LP trapped near Portugal (remember the heat pump?)...

Could contain: Plot, Chart, Accessories, Outdoors

The type of pattern that leads to a heat dome in summer.

It's really worrying just how robust and long lived this pattern has been.

We can only hope that this pattern can shift before summer because if not a lot of Europe will be in big trouble with dangerous levels of heat. The Med has barely had chance to cool off and any such spell again may be a degree or two more extreme this time around.

The SSW could be a blessing in this respect as it may serve to reshuffle the NH cards.

Was thinking just yesterday, its been a very dry winter bar the 3 week mid season deluge. And yes, I agree, whilst I hate storms and constant rain, we do need a pattern change which the SSW should provide even if its not a colder one.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and Sun

First 2 weeks back to work after Xmas break were very windy. I'm in a Tower Crane. Since then, been very calm. Even my lad has fished nearly every day since then and he skippers a trawler. It's ying and yang though...we will get some, it's just when. 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Seasonal

No rain, and feeling quite pleasant in the sunshine. 

Quite happy to be honest. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Clear blue skies!

Envious of the Midlands & Northern England today, clear blue skies galore according to the satellite. Meanwhile in the "sunny" South East, its back to the miserable grey skies.

• Like 3