Winter 2022/23 - Moans, Ramps & Chat

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: cold and snowy. Summer: hot and sunny

This is currently live btw, so drag the bar back to go to the start:

Edited by danm

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme!
3 hours ago, E17boy said:

Hmm I am excited but just raead the weatheronlines week ahead outlook the end has distressed be a bit. Atlantic breaking through after next weekend????? unless they have got it wrong 

The data is the same for us and weather online’. We interpret the data just as they do. 

I’d be confident we have plenty on here as skilled, if not more so, than the people who write for these weather websites.

Stick with the MOD thread for day to day interest, as the bigger picture becomes clearer (and closer) the Metoffice or BBC are safe bets as well🙂 

Posted
  • Location: Abingdon - 55m ASL - Capital of The Central Southern England Corridor of Winter Convectionlessness
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Snow>Freezing Fog; Summer: Sun>Daytime Storms
  • Location: Abingdon - 55m ASL - Capital of The Central Southern England Corridor of Winter Convectionlessness
5 minutes ago, P-M said:

Although I'm not comparing these runs to 2010 what I will say is that as the days went on the showers and disturbances in the flow grew and there were nights where the weather took everyone by surprise at literally T-0.

As if to prove your point, the BBC app T+0 forecast states 2% chance of rain here. And it's raining.

Edited by The Enforcer
  • Like 3

Posted
19 minutes ago, Ali1977 said:

UKMO -22c over the hills in Pennines - chilly that 🥶🥶

Could contain: Plot, Chart, Map, Atlas, Diagram, Land, Outdoors, Nature

Well any sort of frost should be the first objective for this upcoming cold spell, given a total absence of frosts during the autumn season, which must be unprecedented in an inland lowland location such as this.

Posted
35 minutes ago, Kasim Awan said:

A small detail is not a 500 mile shift north. This has a huge implication for the dynamics of the snow risk. its still there but its likely to be troughs vs widespread showers. still cold. ECM1-192 (43).gif

ECM1-144 (41).gif

For some locations, even widespread showers moving in from the East don't travel far enough West, for example, everything the 2010 easterly tried got blocked by the Chilterns and snow only arrived courtesy of a trough coming in from the south-west. So organised fronts/troughs/disturbances can be better.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot n cold
1 minute ago, sheikhy said:

My god that has gone wrong!!!seriously!!!what on earth has happened!!all down to that kink to the north east at 96 hours!!!amazing!!

Tragic mate. knew it

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted

BBC 1830 forecast week ahead city view had dry and cloudy with temps at 4/5c. So basically a nothing week and they aren’t seeing anything unusual ( sure that’s actually what Thomas Schaffer Nacker said)

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish plumes & stormy winters. Facebook @ Lance's Lightning Shots

A roaring southerly with uppers approaching 10c on the latest ECM...grab the popcorn for the model thread... 😬

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: 30 Degrees of pure British Celsius

Chortle! MOD thread...hot/warm spells no problems for the models, cold spells in the winter for models...ouch!! in an ever changing world some things never change. 🙂

• Like 3

Posted
4 minutes ago, ResonantChannelThunder said:

A roaring southerly with uppers approaching 10c on the latest ECM...grab the popcorn for the model thread... 😬

lol, when will they ever learn, it’s honestly become a parody of itself these days 

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...
2 minutes ago, Froze were the Days said:

Chortle! MOD thread...hot/warm spells no problems for the models, cold spells in the winter for models...ouch!! in an ever changing world some things never change. 🙂

Some of them still seem to think that models control weather... The GFS/ECM/GEM is not the Messiah; he's a very naughty boy!🤫

• Like 4

Posted

Yes the BBC forecast for next week is bang average I do believe young Tom enjoyed shooting down any talk of a cold spell ..latest ECM has poured a mild mix into the south for sure... Scotland to have all the fun ..The MAD thread is melting down if you excuse the pun!

Posted

Meto update right then seems models slowly backtracking from cold just be the far north higher ground having some snow rest of us all wet oh well can’t control how we are in this abnormal world hope I really wrong  though weather wise will see 

Posted

I'm sorry to admit that I find it so funny when the models start firming up on something other than what the MOD thread wants. "The toys, the toys, would somebody think of the toys!" 🤣

On a serious note, although I love it when it's cold and seasonal, I'm only interested in the models when there's snow involved. And so far nothing, and I mean NOTHING in the reliable has shown any snow. 

This is why the old short range model thread was my go to thread. Unfortunately, nobody was interested in what the weather was most likely to do. Only following snow charts post 10 days which never leave 10 days!

• Like 4

Posted
6 minutes ago, That ECM said:

The theme has gone a bit……..

Could contain: Plot, Chart, Outdoors, Nature

Could contain: Underwear, Clothing, Lingerie, Panties, Thong, Diaper

Fortunately those pants are 18 runs away.

• Like 1

Posted

Is there anything to be said for all going out in the morning and buying the Daily Express for a good old article on Britain freezing in an arctic blast colder than Vladivostok boffins say. Ministers told to prepare cobra according to amateur weather boffin from Basingstoke?

• Like 3

Posted
56 minutes ago, JoeShmoe said:

BBC 1830 forecast week ahead city view had dry and cloudy with temps at 4/5c. So basically a nothing week and they aren’t seeing anything unusual ( sure that’s actually what Thomas Schaffer Nacker said)

Pretty much the same as the current week has been.

Posted
8 minutes ago, Sceptical said:

Mad thread:

Every year without fail.

Could contain: Spoke, Machine

Yes, it's pathetic. 

A Psychiatrist's dream case study, Winter after Winter, without fail.🙄

• Like 2

Posted
7 minutes ago, bluearmy said:

Pedantically, we generally refer to the the ‘extended’ as being post day 10 

the mean uppers next weekend across s england have risen from -5 c to -2c 

surface temps not so high, going up from 2c to 3.5c 

Only going from cold rain to not quite so cold rain.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine and 15-25c

i find it hilarious...there is me praying for some mild weather here in Western Canada only to see any mild in FI being wiped out on the next run and severe cold being locked in for the next 2 weeks..the exact opposite of what is happening in the UK 

• Like 2

Posted

Some stunningly brilliant posts in the other thread tonight...unfortunately you have to be there live as they get deleted after 30 seconds...brutal !

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything unusual works for me...!
25 minutes ago, Downburst said:

Is there anything to be said for all going out in the morning and buying the Daily Express for a good old article on Britain freezing in an arctic blast colder than Vladivostok boffins say. Ministers told to prepare cobra according to amateur weather boffin from Basingstoke?

Lancaster, generally.