Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Spring growth, flowers in bloom potential affects upcoming cold

damianslaw

Posted

Will be interesting to see what effect the upcoming cold period will have on the late Autumn flowering we have seen this year. I have geraniums going strong, treasure flowers still in full bloom, a bush of some sort with blossom flowers and new leaves, hydrangeas bursting out again, and this is the less warm climes of the Lake District, can imagine further south some early spring bulbs are blooming.

We've had a few light frosts recently, but nothing severe, and daytime temps though quite cold again not very so, alas the ground is only slowly cooling. I would expect the upcoming cold period to blacken everything and stunt things, sending growth into a rapid retraction and frost bite ensue.

Welcome thoughts and observations.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snowy or sunny but not too hot!
11 hours ago, damianslaw said:

Will be interesting to see what effect the upcoming cold period will have on the late Autumn flowering we have seen this year. I have geraniums going strong, treasure flowers still in full bloom, a bush of some sort with blossom flowers and new leaves, hydrangeas bursting out again, and this is the less warm climes of the Lake District, can imagine further south some early spring bulbs are blooming.

We've had a few light frosts recently, but nothing severe, and daytime temps though quite cold again not very so, alas the ground is only slowly cooling. I would expect the upcoming cold period to blacken everything and stunt things, sending growth into a rapid retraction and frost bite ensue.

Welcome thoughts and observations.

As I posted on another thread a few weeks back, I have gladioli in bloom and following RHS advice I set broad been seeds late October and they are about a foot tall with blooms on. Goodness knows what will happen to these plants, once the forecast cold sets in.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer: warm, humid, thundery. Winter: mild, stormy, some snow.
19 hours ago, claret047 said:

As I posted on another thread a few weeks back, I have gladioli in bloom and following RHS advice I set broad been seeds late October and they are about a foot tall with blooms on. Goodness knows what will happen to these plants, once the forecast cold sets in.

Broad beans are extremely tolerant of low temperatures and will laugh at the temperatures forecast. Also Broad beans have one of the lowest seed germination temperatures requirements in the plant Kingdom, only needing 3-4degC to germinate.

I have a Citrus plant planted out with fruit that is almost ripened so I'm concerned about that a bit but I can still use the fruit if it drops due to cold.

• Like 1