Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Northwest Weather Discussion

Posted

Weird 12 hours in Crewe & Nantwich. We went to a very icy Nantwich last night at 7.30pm but when we came out of the event at 10pm, it was just wet underfoot and the car thermometer showed +2C. This morning, there was hard impacted ice on some of the side roads/pavements and absolutely nothing on other parts. The Met Office forecast an overnight low of 2C for the south of the region which was weird in itself, but they appear to have been near enough right. I wonder why, given the sub-zero temperatures forecast for virtually everywhere else and particularly as we had lying snow on the ground? A lovely morning now but what's going to happen to the temperatures during the day I wonder? 

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, icy, snowy etc

-4.5ºC overnight; -0.5C currently

Lovely clear blue skies and a hard frost; very fresh out!

• Like 3

Posted
5 minutes ago, A Face like Thunder said:

Weird 12 hours in Crewe & Nantwich. We went to a very icy Nantwich last night at 7.30pm but when we came out of the event at 10pm, it was just wet underfoot and the car thermometer showed +2C. This morning, there was hard impacted ice on some of the side roads/pavements and absolutely nothing on other parts. The Met Office forecast an overnight low of 2C for the south of the region which was weird in itself, but they appear to have been near enough right. I wonder why, given the sub-zero temperatures forecast for virtually everywhere else and particularly as we had lying snow on the ground? A lovely morning now but what's going to happen to the temperatures during the day I wonder? 

Exactly this!  So weird, obviously there must have been a random mild sector etc but either way, why just here? I know it could be wind direction but it was hardly gale force (I couldn't actually feel any) and the direction has been NW-erly a lot and not shot up so much?  Any experts know? haha

• Like 3

Posted
3 minutes ago, Weather-history said:

When did it drop to -4.5°C because around here, temperature held up till not far off dawn twilight

Overnight; no idea what time. Just going off the thermometer in the greenhouse... Why?!

We're 2 completely different locations!

It's frozen solid out there 

Could contain: Weather, Nature, Outdoors, Backyard, Yard, Garden, Interior Design, Indoors

Edited by Dan B
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - snow, Irish sea convection. Summer - thunderstorms, hot sunny days

It was what I said last night. Onshore wind didn't drop off until nearly dawn when we saw a dramatic temp drop in some locations.

There was a maritime layer also which only started to mix out towards dawn. Nothing that unusual.

Edited by Chris.R
  • Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, frosty nights, thunderstorms and the odd gale

No air frost here last night and quite a bit of the remaining snow cover has melted. However, things have been absolutely treacherous this morning on footpaths as the temperature got just low enough to allow what is left of the partially thawed compacted snow cover to freeze over. It's been like an ice rink in places.

• Like 5

Posted

Notice that the Met Office keeps pushing back the milder weather. It looks as though it is only really going to get milder as regards to the minimum temperatures. I'm sure it had 9°C for my location earlier in the week for today  and now it has 4°C for Sunday

Edited by Weather-history
  • Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: All weather

Beautiful  day here white frost this morning now clearing 

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winters, hot, sunny springs and summers.

What a gloriously, sunny day. That sun has some real strength to it now. It’s lovely 

7.5C

• Like 6

Posted

Aye I suppose if we're no burried in snow then nice sunny crisp mornings like this is a second best...certainly beats mild wet crap.

Correct about not seeming to have snowy breakdowns anymore, instead it's just a slow creeping of milder temps to mix out the cold.  Still we've got the fabled beasterly to look forward too...or at least you would think so reading the mod thread.

• Like 5

Posted

The grass is beginning to make a return this afternoon now that the mild'ish temps and strength of the sun is trying it's hardest to melt the freeze, at least we haven't got the risk of glacial floodmelt unlike a lot of areas in Iceland over the next 2 days which are undergoing a rapid thaw with warmer temps than Buxton.

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms and other extremes
5 hours ago, captaincroc said:

All good here mate, hope you are too.

Yes, I did see we kept missing them (or skirting the edge). I did notice they just went to our west a lot, never realised the difference it would be just in Nantwich! 

In regards to last night, such a shame a night of thaw ensued.  So random that a warm/mild sector appeared to warm the temps up that much, especially overnight. I remember when we had a good fall of snow one November in the mid/late 90s, we had just come back from a school trip in Sheffield over the Pennines (we nearly got stuck in Buxton... but that's another story) got home and there was loads of snow. I remember thinking that I couldn't wait to get out in it the next day knowing that it was night time so shouldn't melt till the morning. Woke up and so much had gone. It wasn't a transition snow either, I remember that much as I recall being shocked that it could have melted so much overnight when in a 'cold' setup.  Must have been something similar to last night?

I duno mate, I’m used to snow always melting within a day here 😆

Can’t remember too many times that snow cover has lasted more than 24 hours or so…2010 being the exception.

• Like 4

Posted
2 hours ago, Backtrack said:

What a gloriously, sunny day. That sun has some real strength to it now. It’s lovely 

7.5C

Aye we’re past peak winter time now in terms of solar strength. Mid Jan is the cut off.

It’s a shame the strength doesn’t seem to drop off as quick in the summer…have to wait until mid August.

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!

Aye, Spring not far away now, especially into Feb, can feel like Spring even if sunny, certainly if wet/windy

• Like 3

Posted
2 minutes ago, I remember Atlantic 252 said:

Aye, Spring not far away now, especially into Feb, can feel like Spring even if sunny, certainly if wet/windy

Let’s see what happens as we enter spring. The chances of a cold start to it look to be increasing to me.

After that a late spring of warmth followed by a wet summer will do me. Hopefully some convection too.

Edited by CreweCold
  • Like 7

Posted
On 16/01/2023 at 09:31, Weather-history said:

Infact, the forecast completely underestimated the amount of snow coming over the Pennines that Friday morning, they often did with easterlies. The councils didn't even grit the roads because it was forecast to be mostly dry. Part of the M602 was shut because of an accident in the snow and the councils kicked off the with Met Office over it. Might explain why the Met Office were a bit more caution that evening. It was justified anyway about the amount that had fallen overnight. 

Here's the Manchester Metro forecast from that day on 26th January 1996

Ppsrvmq.jpg

Lol, snow flurries mainly on hills on Friday and some light snow showers on Saturday. 

Oops!

😱

Could contain: Road, Car, Vehicle, Transportation, Freeway, Person, Outdoors, Wheel, Machine

Edited by Weather-history
  • Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: All weather

And what a great day cool yes but warm in the sun ,perfect 🙂

• Like 4

Posted

It's been cold all here today; temps are dropping again now. Back to 3ºC already

• Like 4

Posted

Some apps say low of 1c here tonight others going for -4c ...if skies remain clear which looks to be the case I'll edge my bets towards the latter.

Edited by dodge
  • Like 5

Posted
5 hours ago, dodge said:

Aye I suppose if we're no burried in snow then nice sunny crisp mornings like this is a second best...certainly beats mild wet crap.

Correct about not seeming to have snowy breakdowns anymore, instead it's just a slow creeping of milder temps to mix out the cold.  Still we've got the fabled beasterly to look forward too...or at least you would think so reading the mod thread.

Yeah, know what you mean about not having the snowy breakdowns. What I've noticed in Manchester though these last few years isnthat weve had more west north west snow showers heavy enough to give a nice covering

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, frosty nights, thunderstorms and the odd gale

A superb day here, plenty of sunshine, temp reached 6.4C but now dropping nicely, currently 0.7C.

• Like 2

Posted
32 minutes ago, dodge said:

Some apps say low of 1c here tonight others going for -4c ...if skies remain clear which looks to be the case I'll edge my bets towards the latter.

It's 0.5ºC here now and dropping quickly; fantastic clear skies

I think we'll be back down to around -3/4ºC overnight again I reckon; still lots of ice on the ground...

Amazing how many different locations in the region have such different temps

• Like 2