Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, icy, snowy etc

Didn't get lower than -2.5ºC overnight; now 1.5ºC and raining here 😞 

• Like 5

Posted
7 hours ago, fellmike said:

this cold weather is playing havoc with the roads

potholes everywhere

Don't we know it as well! There was an amusing FB piece doing the rounds, with pictures of the surface of Mars and the Moon and the road surface in Crewe, and of course they all looked the same!

A bright-ish morning but less sun and a bit more wind than the past couple of days, and it seems we are slowly heading into the milder zone of weather, although you wouldn't know it at the moment.  

• Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: seasonal with a leaning to colder winters

High cloud cover, slow thaw 1.7C  in the marginals. Dropped to about -3 lat night before rising to -O,5 at dawn as cloud sheet rolled in.

• Like 4

Posted

I'm hearing that there's still some 40 cars stuck in the Goyt from Thursday's snow & ice which Peak 4x4 rescuers are trying to get out, but Goyt's Lane is still a sheet of ice on both sides of the valley for now although tomorrow is looking the most likely time that any abandoned cars could get out with a brief +5'c rise in temps (although the altitude makes all the difference in that part of the world.)

If I get any free-time tomorrow I might have a wander up there and have a nosey, for me it's only a 3hr (mostly downhill 3/4 the way) walk from Buxton over to the Goyt and back to Whaley. 

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, frosty nights, thunderstorms and the odd gale

An overcast and chilly day, temperature struggled up to 2.8C. Currently 2.4C. Some remnants of snow cover still hanging on generally and lawn still mostly covered.

Edited by severe snowstorm
  • Like 4

Posted

Faint drizzle mid afternoon.   Still lots of snow lying.    Mostly patches though continuous cover in shade.   Max today 4.1C  now 3.3C.

• Like 4

Posted

Another cold day, I was in Cheshire - Congleton over the weekend, and notable how much snow was still lying about - it was very icy on untreated roads and pavements yesterday, today a thaw of sorts made things more slushy.

Current temp in Windermere a chilly 2.7 degrees, suspect it only maxed around 3 degrees, and under the grey dank skies has made for a much more dreary dark feel to things. We are now turning the corner, and even overcast days from now on see light lingering until half 4 and closing in on 5pm, clearer skies and we don't feel the effect of loss of light until 5pm, its still far too early though, but a positive that the darkest days are now coming to an end.

The new week is set to be a rather dismal affair compared to the previous, much cloudier, bits of rain and drizzle about at times, but hopefully some brighter conditions as well, temps hovering close to the seasonal norm, nothing especially particularly mild on the cards, nor indeed anything cold, some patchy frost under clearer skies. January 2023 will end up being a month of quite large contrasts, a very wet very mild first half, a colder wintry middle, a benign close to average and quite dry latter part. One feature again the lack of any stormy weather.

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!
2 hours ago, cheshireoak said:

High cloud cover, slow thaw 1.7C  in the marginals. Dropped to about -3 lat night before rising to -O,5 at dawn as cloud sheet rolled in.

Aye, feel the mild up is arriving now, looking SE first thing today could see the clear sky and the edge of cloud sheet, must have arrived here around 5am, was foggy at 4, but not at 6

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: All weather

All in all a poor day cloudy start followed by drizzle nothing much to say other than boring 

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: seasonal with a leaning to colder winters

Ahhh Damian a trip to the marginals, still some lying snow! Think your right about next week-coolish, dullish, calmish. Possible weak midweek front. I was hoping for a clear high!

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and thunderstorms. Pleasantly warm summers but no heat.

Small little increments going on with models, for the better actually. Any mild weather getting pushed back and downgraded. Granted it's not freezing but we probably won't get above about 6c this week here with no signs of the Atlantic bulldozing through and that nasty wet weather gaining a foothold again. Just need that HP to move more north. I think we could still see a SSW in February, however these don't always guarantee cold. If it does happen for us then we could be looking at a cold end to winter and colder than normal March. I'll take it. I don't want it cold forever, I do like some warmth but that can wait until April as far as I'm concerned when we get some longer daylight in the evenings to sit outside.

• Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer heat and winter cold, and a bit of snow when on offer
1 hour ago, Weather-history said:

Mid February 1969, big snowfalls and severe frosts. Manchester area had one of its biggest snowfalls of the 20th century 

Could contain: Plot, Chart, Map, Atlas, DiagramCould contain: Plot, Chart Could contain: Plot, Chart, Map, Atlas, Diagram, PlanCould contain: Plot, Chart, Plan, Diagram

Guardian 

Could contain: Text, Newspaper

Liverpool Echo

Could contain: Newspaper, Text, Person, Baby, Face, HeadCould contain: Text, Page, NewspaperCould contain: Text, Menu   Could contain: Text, NewspaperCould contain: Text, Menu, Receipt, Document Could contain: Text, Newspaper Could contain: Text, Newspaper, Receipt, Document    Could contain: Page, Text, Publication

Runcorn

Could contain: Newspaper, Text, Person, Face, Head, Outdoors

Heywood

Could contain: Text, Newspaper

Chester

Could contain: Home Decor, Text, Newspaper

Wilmslow

Could contain: Person, Man, Adult, Male, Newspaper, Text, Face, HeadCould contain: Text, Newspaper, Book, PublicationCould contain: Text, Receipt, Document

Pretty sure I can remember that one.

there was a fall of snow in early to mid February one year when only two of turned up at school but one teacher and the caretaker were there so we still ended up stopping all day.

Only about 6 -7 years old at the time so short legs made snow falls always look deeper than they were but the drifts on the opposite side of the road were up to the top of the retaining wall I still pass regularly which is about 8 feet tall.

the last time it came close to drifting that high against the wall was March 2013.

• Like 6
  • Insightful 1

Posted

I was watching the weekly CountryFile programme earlier, which came from Flash, the highest village in the UK. Just over the border from us in Staffs. There was a great deal of emphasis on the weather at 1500ft and the effects on the villagers, for example being cut off for days, occasionally weeks on end and having to rely on helicopter food- drops. They clearly have it hard in those parts!

Which reminds me that the WinterWatch 1963: The Big Freeze programme is getting its latest airing in this, the 60th anniversary year, at 8pm tomorrow on BBC4. It was when we all had it hard and is well worth watching if you've not seen it before! 

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer heat, thunderstorms and winter snow
45 minutes ago, A Face like Thunder said:

I was watching the weekly CountryFile programme earlier, which came from Flash, the highest village in the UK. Just over the border from us in Staffs. There was a great deal of emphasis on the weather at 1500ft and the effects on the villagers, for example being cut off for days, occasionally weeks on end and having to rely on helicopter food- drops. They clearly have it hard in those parts!

Which reminds me that the WinterWatch 1963: The Big Freeze programme is getting its latest airing in this, the 60th anniversary year, at 8pm tomorrow on BBC4. It was when we all had it hard and is well worth watching if you've not seen it before! 

Wouldn't mind moving to the Peak District/ Staffs Moorlands though it can be a whole other world up in some of the higher locations during Winter - beautiful views/location, guaranteed at least one decent snowfall every winter season with the added bonus of generally warmer summers than you would experience in higher ground of the NE and Scotland. 

Edited by Joe Snow
  • Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snowy winters,warm summers and Storms

Interesting that GFS is having another go and similar weather to last week with PM NW flow bringing wintry showers into the region on a quiet unstable flow,not checked the ECM or UKMO so no idea as of yet what they are showing.

Could contain: Plot, Chart

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: All weather

A miserable day   Grey cold and drizzle possibly the worst weather you can have ,roll on the darkness 

• Like 3

Posted
1 hour ago, cheshire snow said:

Interesting that GFS is having another go and similar weather to last week with PM NW flow bringing wintry showers into the region on a quiet unstable flow,not checked the ECM or UKMO so no idea as of yet what they are showing.

Could contain: Plot, Chart

One scenario in a displacement SSW is just dropping the vortex over NW Europe.

I think the southerners only care about a split vortex so they can get their easterly.

• Like 3