Posted
  • Weather Preferences: All weather
52 minutes ago, A Face like Thunder said:

Yup, all quiet on the S Cheshire front! 😒

Same here just gloomy 🙁 

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: seasonal with a leaning to colder winters

All quiet in the marginals-light drizzle for a little bit of excitement. On the bright side not bad for outside jobs so finished hedge planting!

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer heat, thunderstorms and winter snow

Low cloud & fine drizzle yuck! 😕 Outlook for Feb looks as clear as mud and there’s plenty of that about today too! 😄 

• Like 6

Posted

Its grim out there today and not just because Flybe has folded for a second-time in the best part of a year. It looks like this murk is set to linger around all week with only intermittent spells of sunshine expected Tuesday and late into Friday afternoon, on a positive note there's only 51 days remaining until the Spring Equinox and the cross-over of the longer days to nights.

• Like 8

Posted
5 hours ago, Scuba steve said:

Same here just gloomy 🙁 

It feels like the cloud is pressing down, lower and lower on the hills, trapping everything in the valley in a dark, depressing gloominess.  And it will soon be dark.

In the words of John Tam, “it’s another grim, grimy day”.

• Like 9

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and thunderstorms. Pleasantly warm summers but no heat.

Greece looking like the place to be about a week on Monday as the Euro high works in their favour dragging in bitter air around it's eastern periphery. The Aegean sea becomes a snow machine. Istanbul in Turkey probably getting a clobbering too. The locals in Greece say snow is actually becoming more common. Shame we can't say that! 😂

ECM1-216.GIF?28-0ECM0-240.GIF?28-0

This is what the above can bring to Athens.

Edited by Dark Horse
  • Like 8

Posted

Another meteorological offering from Ch5, this one on the 2018 Beast from the East. Featuring Tomasz S,  Adam Henson and Greg Wallace. Tomorrow night, Monday 30th Jan, at 9pm.

No such problems today and another calm, cloudy, mild morning. Hopefully we may see some sun later.

• Like 6

Posted

For the depths of mid winter, the current conditions are very tame. Not complaining as it means a lot of usuable weather, nothing extreme to disrupt things and life can go as pretty normal..

Today set to be a rather drab lacklustre affair, cloudy, perhaps a bit of rain later on, light winds and temps a little above the average, probably max around 7 degrees. No frost expected in the days ahead, and very much more of this type of weather, perhaps something wetter and windier Tuesday to end January.

Whilst some may say we are nearing the last third of winter, here in the Lake District I say we have yet to pass the half way stage still, winter can and often does show its teeth well into March, and yes whilst the days are lengthening substantially by then and the sun is beginning to gain heat, I rarely feel Spring has arrived fully until around the equniox (same with Autumn, equnox marks start of Autumn for me).

Let's see if we can experience a decent proper snowfall before the season is out, a dusting or two does not count in my book - and that's all we've had so far.

Edited by damianslaw
  • Like 8

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, frosty nights, thunderstorms and the odd gale

What a contrast this morning to the overcast conditions yesterday, bright with sunny intervals here although I'm not sure how long it will last.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winters, hot, sunny springs and summers.

Always worries me when we get a calm winter. Are we gonna get a disgusting, unsettled summer? 

Where’s the low pressure storms, the frost, the snow? The hailstone?! We’re just sat in ‘meh land’. As I’ve said a few days ago, I’m ready for spring now. I’ve had enough of endless grey skies and drizzle. 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Posted
10 hours ago, Dark Horse said:

Greece looking like the place to be about a week on Monday as the Euro high works in their favour dragging in bitter air around it's eastern periphery. The Aegean sea becomes a snow machine. Istanbul in Turkey probably getting a clobbering too. The locals in Greece say snow is actually becoming more common. Shame we can't say that! 😂

ECM1-216.GIF?28-0ECM0-240.GIF?28-0

This is what the above can bring to Athens.

I'd love that! ☃️ I actually think we've had more snowfalls in Manchester this last few years than usual. The last 3 including this one we've had proper snowfalls albeit just a couple of cm each time. Also 2018 was a belter in stockport when it leapt over the pennines for a couple of hours. 2021 we had 3 or 4 falls. In the 80s and 90s we often went for many years at a time with nothing other than the famous winters 79, 81, 2010 which brought deep snow. And the strange Jan 96 easterly bringing 6 inches!! The recent ones didn't turn to rain either though they were just showers though. I prefer that tbh, snowy breakdowns are rubbish for Manc!!

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: All weather

Another lacklustre non day great day to file my tax return I always leave it late 😂 even though I did it before Christmas ,  I can proudly confirm it’s drizzling 😎

• Like 4

Posted

Oh joy we have some light rain / drizzle to add to the grey skies - really has that Sunday January vibe about it today... in the words of Morrissey - if ever there was a day to describe 'Every Day is like Sunday' its this one - this time of year is peak time for such feeling, short window Jan to about mid March only thank goodness! Monday's even worse!

• Like 6

Posted
50 minutes ago, damianslaw said:

Oh joy we have some light rain / drizzle to add to the grey skies - really has that Sunday January vibe about it today... in the words of Morrissey - if ever there was a day to describe 'Every Day is like Sunday' its this one - this time of year is peak time for such feeling, short window Jan to about mid March only thank goodness! Monday's even worse!

…yet another grey and grim, grimy day. 

Barely any sun last week, the week coming looks similar.  It’s a real struggle as a SAD sufferer, at least coming at the end of the winter, improvement is just around the corner.  

• Like 4

Posted

Last lunch out in France… celebratory one…

cloudy day but sun made a brief appearance… 

All packed, car washed and cleaned, last of washing done… ready for home now 😴 💤 

Could contain: Page, Text, Advertisement, Poster

Could contain: Soda, Beverage, Produce, Food, Juice

Could contain: Food Presentation, Food, Pork, Meat

Could contain: Beverage, Bottle, Alcohol, Wine Bottle, Wine, Liquor, Beer, Bread, Food

Could contain: Pork, Food, Meat, Seafood, Plate, Salmon

Could contain: Food Presentation, Food, Pork, Meat

Could contain: Food Presentation, Food, Pouring Food, Cooking, Bread

Could contain: Dessert, Food, Tiramisu, Bread

• Like 9

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, frosty nights, thunderstorms and the odd gale

Looks like contrasting fortunes across the region today. It's been a reasonable day here, bright this morning, clouded in around lunchtime, but brightened up again soon after lunchtime. Been a decent day. 

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and thunderstorms. Pleasantly warm summers but no heat.
3 hours ago, Rob 79812010 said:

I'd love that! ☃️ I actually think we've had more snowfalls in Manchester this last few years than usual. The last 3 including this one we've had proper snowfalls albeit just a couple of cm each time. Also 2018 was a belter in stockport when it leapt over the pennines for a couple of hours. 2021 we had 3 or 4 falls. In the 80s and 90s we often went for many years at a time with nothing other than the famous winters 79, 81, 2010 which brought deep snow. And the strange Jan 96 easterly bringing 6 inches!! The recent ones didn't turn to rain either though they were just showers though. I prefer that tbh, snowy breakdowns are rubbish for Manc!!

Yes I suppose it depends where you are. I've never actually had a snowless winter in this part of Manchester (Tameside) there's always been at least a dusting at some point, even last winter's dire attempt there was a brief one. But I'm not including the decent 4 inches at the end of November. In the Winter 2020-21 I'd agree that there was more snow than usual. Had about 5 separate coverings, something like that but nothing particularly heavy. Best snow I've seen? Feb 1991 easterly, got some decent pictures somewhere too. Jan 2010 comes close though. Don't remember Jan 87 being only little but my mum said she couldn't push my buggy as the snow was bad. So kept me inside for a few days until it started to thaw.

• Like 4

Posted
52 minutes ago, Dark Horse said:

Yes I suppose it depends where you are. I've never actually had a snowless winter in this part of Manchester (Tameside) there's always been at least a dusting at some point, even last winter's dire attempt there was a brief one. But I'm not including the decent 4 inches at the end of November. In the Winter 2020-21 I'd agree that there was more snow than usual. Had about 5 separate coverings, something like that but nothing particularly heavy. Best snow I've seen? Feb 1991 easterly, got some decent pictures somewhere too. Jan 2010 comes close though. Don't remember Jan 87 being only little but my mum said she couldn't push my buggy as the snow was bad. So kept me inside for a few days until it started to thaw.

Am always jealous of those a bit higher up in Manchester! Pretty low down where I am. I do remember Feb 91, it was snowing really heavy in Manchester but don't think it settled low down. Strangely I don't remember the 87 one and I was in my 20's. Super cold I remember. For Stockport I think 2010 the deepest in my lifetime. 79 maybe, think it was similar. Do you remember 2001 around the new year where we kept getting snow showers on and off for about a week? Never very deep but kept on coming. Only powder snow I remember was the 2018 one. Incredible 

• Like 4

Posted
18 minutes ago, Rob 79812010 said:

Am always jealous of those a bit higher up in Manchester! Pretty low down where I am. I do remember Feb 91, it was snowing really heavy in Manchester but don't think it settled low down. Strangely I don't remember the 87 one and I was in my 20's. Super cold I remember. For Stockport I think 2010 the deepest in my lifetime. 79 maybe, think it was similar. Do you remember 2001 around the new year where we kept getting snow showers on and off for about a week? Never very deep but kept on coming. Only powder snow I remember was the 2018 one. Incredible 

I remember a front coming down from the north giving a few cm in late December 2001. It stuck around for a few days. I still remember tracking it on the met office radar when it was a more basic and on good old dial up internet 😂...the radar  still not much better now really, netweather is better. That was it for snow in that winter, January and February was very mild.. Year earlier we had a cold spell again in the December a bit more intense, remember waking up to a good covering just after xmas and hearing the airport had shut. Winter 2000-2001 was quite good overall better than the previous one, had more snow in the February too. I remember it was my last year in high school and in the February skipping school with mates and going sledging on the hills but we got told off by a farmer being on his land plus it was the time of foot and mouth disease.

Edited by Dark Horse
  • Like 4

Posted
1 hour ago, severe snowstorm said:

Looks like contrasting fortunes across the region today. It's been a reasonable day here, bright this morning, clouded in around lunchtime, but brightened up again soon after lunchtime. Been a decent day. 

Yes, not a bad day in Cheshire it seems.

• Like 4

Posted
50 minutes ago, Dark Horse said:

I remember a front coming down from the north giving a few cm in late December 2001. It stuck around for a few days. I still remember tracking it on the met office radar when it was a more basic and on good old dial up internet 😂...the radar  still not much better now really, netweather is better. That was it for snow in that winter, January and February was very mild.. Year earlier we had a cold spell again in the December a bit more intense, remember waking up to a good covering just after xmas and hearing the airport had shut. Winter 2000-2001 was quite good overall better than the previous one, had more snow in the February too. I remember it was my last year in high school and in the February skipping school with mates and going sledging on the hills but we got told off by a farmer being on his land plus it was the time of foot and mouth 

Ah, the one you mention I think is the one I remember. Snowed a few times after Christmas and into new year I think! Yes, forecasting and radar still a tricky business by the looks of it!😬

• Like 5