Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Northwest Weather Discussion

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer heat and winter cold, and a bit of snow when on offer

I’d obviously prefer to not be off work today but it’s lovely winters day for getting wrapped up and out and about.

good luck to anyone in the firing line for a bit of snow.

• Like 8

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow
47 minutes ago, damianslaw said:

Time for a new fresh thread for the North West. 

The long awaited cold period has arrived. Chat away...

Cheers bud 

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: LP - Horizontal Drizzle - Nice Blizzards

Wirral Froth

Could contain: Plot, Chart, Map, Sea, Nature, Outdoors, Water, Atlas, Diagram

• Like 8

Posted

At T75 (Sat Morning)

Could contain: Plot, Chart, Map, Sea, Nature, Outdoors, Water, Atlas, Diagram, Land

Yes - definately not looking past T75 again - ever..... 😬

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer heat and winter cold, and a bit of snow when on offer
1 minute ago, Iceaxecrampon said:

At T75 (Sat Morning)

Could contain: Plot, Chart, Map, Sea, Nature, Outdoors, Water, Atlas, Diagram, Land

Yes - definately not looking past T75 again - ever..... 😬

It must be up for the award for the worlds smallest snow event 😂

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow & Thunderstorms
7 minutes ago, Iceaxecrampon said:

Wirral Froth

Could contain: Plot, Chart, Map, Sea, Nature, Outdoors, Water, Atlas, Diagram

🤣🤣

• Like 4

Posted
1 minute ago, iand61 said:

It must be up for the award for the worlds smallest snow event 😂

Exclusive Ian - just us and Glasgae.... 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿

• Like 3

Posted

From 4pm Tomorrow - through the night....

Could contain: Plot, Chart, Vegetation, Plant, Rainforest, Land, Nature, Outdoors, Map, AtlasCould contain: Text

• Like 8

Posted
Just now, Day 10 said:

From 4pm Tomorrow - through the night....

Could contain: Plot, Chart, Vegetation, Plant, Rainforest, Land, Nature, Outdoors, Map, AtlasCould contain: Text

If owt drops at least it'll stick.

• Like 5

Posted
1 minute ago, Iceaxecrampon said:

Exclusive Ian - just us and Glasgae.... 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿

aye I’m in there somewhere near the top of the darker pyramid bit but I might be pushing it to get snow in the front and back gardens from it😂

still it might just break the drought conditions showing on the Met app for as far as the eye can see.

• Like 4

Posted

If anyone wants to be moderately amused GFS T+189 is a hoot.

• Like 4

Posted

Some more snapshots from the Harmonie model...

Could contain: Plot, Chart, Map, Atlas, Diagram, Outdoors, Nature, Sea, WaterCould contain: Plot, Chart, Map, Atlas, Diagram, Outdoors, Nature, Sea, Water

Could contain: Plot, Chart, Map, Atlas, Diagram, Nature, OutdoorsCould contain: Plot, Chart, Map, Atlas, Diagram, Outdoors, Nature, Sea, Water

• Like 5

Posted

As some have said get the cold in first and the snow will follow.. always a nowcast situation in these set ups, but interesting to note the Met Office are picking up on disturbances in the flow from tomorrow, and there looks to be a feature set to move down from the north during afternoon of Thursday - not quite clear whether this is a weak trough, but suspect so.. there will be limited mariginality away from the coast, so one to watch. Doesn't look particularly potent but could give a widespread light cover to most of the region, a cm or two - and this would then most likely stick for the rest of the week to give a more seasonal look to things.

Its the surprise pop up events that I like best, and the models may not handle these very well until they appear. Later Friday and into Saturday is another period of interest as we see the wind shift more to the NW and we become exposed to the effects of the cold air over the Irish Sea, we may see some surprise quite heavy wintry showers pop up in that set up...

I'm happier now than I was first thing this morning, resigning myself to little prospect of snow. Fingers crossed we will see something fall and settle in the next 2-3 days would be a shame to have a lengthy cold spell without any snow. There is a dusting on the highest tops today, which is good to see.

Current temp 2.1 degrees, probably struggle to get much above 3 degrees. There is frost in shaded spots still including cars.

Its interesting to note the Treasure flowers I have outside- west facing are now no longer opening up to the full sunshine, I suspect last nights frost and the continual cooling is now slowly killing them off, the garden should by the end of the week finally resemble what it should have been looking like over a month ago!

• Like 8

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot summers, frosty autumns and snowy winters

Clear skies, white frosts …….. got to be next best to snowy weather = happy days 😀

• Like 7

Posted
9 minutes ago, damianslaw said:

I'm happier now than I was first thing this morning, resigning myself to little prospect of snow. Fingers crossed we will see something fall and settle in the next 2-3 days would be a shame to have a lengthy cold spell without any snow.

I remember many many cold spells as a youth growing up in West Cumbria that passed by without even the merest hint that it might snow! From where I grew up you could see the clouds going down the Irish Sea and some inland over the fells. And if you drove to Carlisle you’d see the Pennines and southern uplands plastered. I do remember quite a few snowy breakdowns though, even if they turned to rain after just an hour or two. Wouldn’t surprise me if we got a week or so like that again. But to be honest after the crud we’ve been through over the last few years, the relentless unending grey, I’d bite your hands off for a week of cold sunshine and frozen ponds. 

• Like 5

Posted
32 minutes ago, trickydicky said:

I remember many many cold spells as a youth growing up in West Cumbria that passed by without even the merest hint that it might snow! From where I grew up you could see the clouds going down the Irish Sea and some inland over the fells. And if you drove to Carlisle you’d see the Pennines and southern uplands plastered. I do remember quite a few snowy breakdowns though, even if they turned to rain after just an hour or two. Wouldn’t surprise me if we got a week or so like that again. But to be honest after the crud we’ve been through over the last few years, the relentless unending grey, I’d bite your hands off for a week of cold sunshine and frozen ponds. 

Yes many a time look west and its green, look east and its white, I've said before there are a numerous 'invisible' lines over Cumbria, snow much more likely further east you go, and within the central Lake District, its a complex geography, no other part of England like it and the forecasters never get it right when it comes to snow in Cumbria. Dunmail Raise, Kirkstone Pass and Shap summit are good places to see differences between north and south Cumbria. Helvellyn a great spot to view the west-east divide. Travel along the M6/A590/A591 is a good experience to view the changes between north and south of the county, A66 from Workington to Stainmore summit for west-east difference.

Edited by damianslaw
  • Like 6