• 4/10 Mediocre
    • 3/10 Poor
    • 2/10 Awful
    • 1/10 Diabolical
    • I hate autumn

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Not too hot, not too cold

Hi all 🙂

I decided to make this thread following on from the “what did you think of summer 2022?” thread. I want to do a thread like this after every season.

So, how did this autumn go for you?

it would be fair to say for some of you, autumn may not finish until December 21st, or when it no longer feels autumnal for you.

I think also what makes an autumn great can be subjective and varies from person to person. One person for example might think an autumn is amazing if it rains all the time.

For me overall, I thought the autumn was best at the beginning and got worse as it went along (going off the meteorological definition of autumn starting on the 1st September and finishing on the 30th November).

From the 3rd to the 10th September I was on holiday in Scarborough, which was a warm but really wet week in most places but I got lucky as it was a mostly dry week in Scarborough and it was still pleasantly warm most of the time as well. Back at home I think it was wetter so I got lucky. The second half of September was good for dry and sunny weather but temperatures were a bit on the cool side for me, I would’ve liked it a bit warmer. After last year’s very warm September and a hot August, it felt a bit cool in comparison.

October was okay, it was very mild most of the time with temperatures in the low to mid teens but there was a big variability in the temperature, with daytime temperatures rarely deviating from 12 to 16° C. There were no Indian summer days or cold days, at least here anyway. So I would’ve liked a bit more variety.

November was very mild but also far too wet and dull, which November usually is. Probably my least favourite month. It was raining almost every day and some days barely seemed to get light.

So in summary:

September - a bit too cool

October - lack of variability and warm days

November - far too wet and dull

Overall, I can’t really give this autumn a higher score than 5/10 (okay). I enjoyed last autumn a lot more.

What did you guys and girls think of it?

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and dry, thunderstorms, mild temps (13-22°C).

6/10

September started nicely with the only real convective activity of the year. October was mild which I prefer at that time of year. November was too wet but decent temps.

• Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winter, warm/hot summer with the odd storm thrown in

I gave it a 4/10. Mainly for how unseasonal most of the autumn was, it was only really the latter part of November that actually felt like autumn here.

September was more of an extension of summer with warm days all through the month, yes it was nice but definitely not what I would have expected for autumn, at least not for the whole month. 

October was mostly boring and still felt too warm for the time of year, it did have one thunderstorm though that produced at tornado nearby so that stops it being an entirely uneventful month

November wasn't as boring but extremely wet, I know it often is wet but this was taking it to the extreme a bit. Also a very dull month as mentioned above. It was slightly redeemed by feeling a bit more seasonal towards the end.  

Edited by matt111
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and dry, thunderstorms, mild temps (13-22°C).
5 minutes ago, TN9 said:

Still is isn't it ,we have  trees with leaves ..  till last one falls its not over is it 

We have trees with apples on still l0l.

Posted
17 minutes ago, TN9 said:

Still is isn't it ,we have  trees with leaves ..  till last one falls its not over is it 

Yeah one of my trees still has a few leaves left. Really odd considering how cold it’s been, and unusual for leaves to still be on the trees this late in the year. Guess it’s because of the very mild autumn.

As for autumn not being over I feel the weather is more important than Weather the leaves are still on the trees.

Edited by East Lancs Rain

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold weather lover and heat hater

It was better than Autumn 2021 but that's not saying much. September was interesting, very warm and wet the first half of the month and then felt notably chilly towards the end of the month. October was wet, very mild and sunny. November very wet and staying on the very mild side though it started to show some signs of cold towards the end of the month. 

Edited by WarwickshireLad
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winter, warm/hot summer with the odd storm thrown in

Still leaves on some trees here, not surprising considering how long it took them to start falling this autumn.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

I rated it 5/10, but my overall opinion of September and October was positive, and it was November that really dragged the score down.  I have good memories of a thundery spell in early September, some fine sunny days early and late in October, and some unusually widespread thunderstorms around 20 October, when I had two consecutive thunder days in Lincoln, and a third day shortly afterwards with frequent lightning to the south.  But November was persistently mild, grey and drizzly with just 60-70% of the normal sunshine amount.  When we had a shot at another unseasonably warm sunny spell around 11-14 November, in Lincoln I had one warm and sunny afternoon and otherwise saw a lot of persistent stratus, although I'm aware that some other parts of the UK, particularly to the north of high ground, had exceptional temperatures from it.

• Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: In summer, a decent thunderstorm, and hot weather. In winter, snow or gale

We didn't have an autumn.. straight from summer to winter this year!

I gave it a 7/10 as there was decent storm activity and temperature anyway

• Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms, anything interesting

Good storms for the beginning of September. Had around 5 thunder days. Decent temps until the last week where it started to get a bit cooler than average.
October was weirdly warm throughout the month, even seeing a distant lightning storm on the evening of the 23rd. Squally thunderstorm on the 30th. 

November was dull, mild and very wet. Interesting features were the temperatures being so mild for most the month, until the end of the month began getting cold into December.

Surprisingly hardly any really windy days for the entire season. Overall I’d say it was better than average because of the warmer temps and convective activity. 7/10

• Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold winters and cool summers.

I gave it a 5 out of 10. September I didn’t really care for the warm first half, but I enjoyed the northerly snaps in the second half of the month which brought a real taste of early autumn and reminded me of September 2020. I thought that it was the start of maybe some cool conditions, but I was very wrong. I wasn’t very fond of October. It was far too mild most of the time, and there was no frost or chilly days to speak of. By the end of the month when we had the push of a warm winds from the south it started to feel quite tiring, though at least it saved on the heating bills. I’ve spoken about it elsewhere but the 23rd of October brought one of the most extreme thunderstorms I’ve ever experienced in my life. November was very non-descript, just mostly mild and cloudy but I was grateful for that after a dry summer. Though once again, there seemed to be a lack of proper criso weather until the very end of the month. The reason why I give it a 5 out of 10 is that it’s not that it was unpleasant or particularly heinous. It was just not the kind of conditions I enjoy.  

• Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: All weather

0.0000000000000000000000001 bloody awful here 

• Thanks 1

Posted

2/10.

September probably the best out of the three months, a mild half followed by the coolest second half since 2015. Felt like autumn. 5/10

October was horrible. Very mild throughout, second half notably so. Noting autumnal about it, except a few rainy days. Worst October I've experienced, next to 2014. 1/10

November wasn't any better, just mild and very wet though there were a few colder days. Remembrance weekend was another horrible mild period. I'd rate this month less than Nov 2015, as we had a few hard frosts in the final week. A bad November overall, second to 1994. 2/10

Was a pain going through Autumn 2022, especially after the hot summer. 2022 will go down as a very mild year, and one I'd want to forget!

• Thanks 1

Posted
On 11/12/2022 at 18:44, Rufus Butterfield said:

Good storms for the beginning of September. Had around 5 thunder days. Decent temps until the last week where it started to get a bit cooler than average.
October was weirdly warm throughout the month, even seeing a distant lightning storm on the evening of the 23rd. Squally thunderstorm on the 30th. 

November was dull, mild and very wet. Interesting features were the temperatures being so mild for most the month, until the end of the month began getting cold into December.

Surprisingly hardly any really windy days for the entire season. Overall I’d say it was better than average because of the warmer temps and convective activity. 7/10

Yes there’s been a distinct lack of wind the last few months. I don’t think we’ve even had a named storm yet? Very boring autumn for wind storms, which is another reason why I only gave it 5/10. Hopefully we get some decent wind storms this winter. If the current pattern continues all winter, it might be the first one without any named storms, since the year they started naming them in 2015.

On 12/12/2022 at 10:57, Frigid said:

2/10.

September probably the best out of the three months, a mild half followed by the coolest second half since 2015. Felt like autumn. 5/10

October was horrible. Very mild throughout, second half notably so. Noting autumnal about it, except a few rainy days. Worst October I've experienced, next to 2014. 1/10

November wasn't any better, just mild and very wet though there were a few colder days. Remembrance weekend was another horrible mild period. I'd rate this month less than Nov 2015, as we had a few hard frosts in the final week. A bad November overall, second to 1994. 2/10

Was a pain going through Autumn 2022, especially after the hot summer. 2022 will go down as a very mild year, and one I'd want to forget!

Without a doubt It will be the warmest year on record, beating 2014, despite the cold December.

Posted

I was thinking about the lack of wind earlier, apart from Storm Eunice in February, which was rather extreme, it really hasn't been that windy here at all this year. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heat, sun and thunderstorms in summer. Cold sunny days and snow in winter

I rate it as being 4/10.

Summary

September was my favourite autumn month this year as it provided us with the most variety so was the most interesting. We had some surprise thunderstorms early in the month which the whole of summer failed to deliver. It was predominently warm but very unsettled up to around the 10th when the weather became more mixed for the remainder of the month. October was very mild throughout with temps in the mid to late teens. It was a month of two halves providing us with a settled and sunny first half followed by a much more unsettled second half. November was predominently unsettled but was very mild up to around mid month when temps returned back to average, and even perhaps slightly below average during the last couple of days.

Verdict

The only good thing about this autumn was the fact that it provided us all with some much needed rainfall after the dry year we have had. Other than that it was a fairly mediocre autumn and despite all the rain, there were no named storms.

Edited by Weather Enthusiast91
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Bright weather. Warm sunny thundery summers, short cold winters.

Too wet, but not excessively dull, at least.

Disappointing September, though it was pleasant for about 10 days from around the 15th. Arrived back from overseas on the 8th (the day the Queen died) to be greeted with rather cool, dull, wet conditions (around 18C so a little below normal). A real shock to the system! I note others have described early Sep as warm, but it definitely wasn't by the 8th.

First half of October not too bad with some sunny days. Second half very wet but with some surprise sunny days just before the clocks went back.

Thundery outbreak on the 23rd was entertaining, and certainly more interesting than the dreadful dishwater weather that typified the 22nd (the Saturday).

Remembrance weekend "heatwave" interesting.

At least it wasn't too dull, and it finished on a good note with November 30th proving something of a taste of things to come.

Not half as bad as the horror-shows of Autumn 2019 (except the first three weeks of September), and October and November 2020. Nonetheless, I think it's high time we had a settled and dry October (2018 was the last one which wasn't wet) and a cold and frosty November (the last one was, IIRC, 2017). Perhaps next year.

Sep: 4/10

Oct: 5/10

Nov: 3/10

Edited by Summer8906

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Bright weather. Warm sunny thundery summers, short cold winters.
On 10/12/2022 at 22:54, TN9 said:

I've seen the odd leaf still on the tree in early spring... so I guess at some point it'll be simultaneously autumn and spring in that case! 😉

More seriously, in Mediterranean climates I have seen extensive brown leaves still on the trees in early Jan. (This was Granada, Spain). Doubtless there, the first blossoms appear right at the start of Feb meaning that literally weeks, at most, separate autumn and spring.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow in winter, thunderstorms, warmth, sun any time!

Nothing to write home about overall.

Few days at the beginning of September, storms were some of the best I've captured on camera apart from that fairly uneventful.

October I don't remember much though I spent a day in the Lake District and the weather was lovely.

November was excessively mild (good for heating bills I suppose) and wet, no air frosts and don't recall seeing a ground frost though may have been 1 or 2.

Could contain: Nature, Outdoors, Storm, Thunderstorm, Lightning

Could contain: Nature, Outdoors, Storm, Thunderstorm, Lightning

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine and 15-25c

if seasons weren't three months long i would say it was a game of two halves ..really though a game of two thirds.

September was hot, sunny and dry and finished nearly +4c above normal

October continued where Sept left was warm sunny and dry was +3c above normal

November the weather flipped into winter mode it was cold somewhat snowy -5c below normal.