Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

The weather the day you were born

LetItSnow!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold winters and cool summers.

What was going on on your birthday? Since we all share a common love for weather, no matter the type, it’s interesting to see the conditions which we first came into. A thread on this existed back in 2015 but it got locked, so since there are many new members in that time I thought I’d start it again.

The weather on my birthday quite fittingly was going into a northerly. My parents said it was snowing when I was born but the uppers in Kent were very marginal (around -1) so I imagine that was sleet. Perhaps they remembered snow shortly afterwards. This day ushered in a very cold spell that would last into March and it’s cool to know that a cold lover like me came along at the start of it… symbolic and all that jazz. 🎷 

Could contain: Plot, Chart, Outdoors, Nature

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold winters and cool summers.
29 minutes ago, Earthshine said:

Looks like a relatively benign day of weather!

Could contain: Plot, Chart, Map, Diagram

Could contain: Plot, Chart, Diagram

That was the day after a notable storm at Bracknell which dumped 66mm of rain in one hour and 15mm hailstones, though its suggested that rainfall rates were much higher in surrounding areas that weren't officially recorded. It was a volatile but warm spell. Indeed, the first-half of May 2000 was very warm but quite thundery in places. Fell apart in the second-half though and the rest of the month was cold and wet.

Met Reading says about the 8th of May, 2000:

"S and E England had a cloudy start to the 8th, with patches of thick fog in NE and E England, and in E Scotland. The fog cleared during the morning but it remained generally cloudy SE of a line from Newcastle-Dorset with light rain in places in the S followed by thunderstorms in places. In Kent 30mm fell in one hour as Sevenoaks and Tunbridge experienced severe flooding after a heavy thunderstorm. Thunderstorms also occurred in S Ireland and SW England, while the remainder of the British Isles had a mainly dry and sunny day. (Shannon, Nantmor 25C, Aboyne, Strathallan, Leuchars 2C, Bracknell 66mm, Eskdalemuir 14.0h.)".

A storm right around where I grew up on that day funnily enough! Though I was but a glimmer at that point in time. 🤣

55 minutes ago, LetItSnow! said:

What was going on on your birthday? Since we all share a common love for weather, no matter the type, it’s interesting to see the conditions which we first came into. A thread on this existed back in 2015 but it got locked, so since there are many new members in that time I thought I’d start it again.

The weather on my birthday quite fittingly was going into a northerly. My parents said it was snowing when I was born but the uppers in Kent were very marginal (around -1) so I imagine that was sleet. Perhaps they remembered snow shortly afterwards. This day ushered in a very cold spell that would last into March and it’s cool to know that a cold lover like me came along at the start of it… symbolic and all that jazz. 🎷 

Met Reading says about the 22nd of February, 2001:

"Light rain and drizzle, preceded by early fog patches in Cent. S England, pushed S across S England and S Wales during the morning of the 22nd, while another area of light precipitation, initially over Northern Ireland, made progress S and E during the day, reaching S districts by midnight. Much of the British Isles had a cloudy day as a result of the rain areas, with the best of any sunshine over Scotland. where showers of hail, sleet and snow were also widespread. (Cardiff 13C, Baltasound 1C max, Baltasound and Lerwick -1C min, Wick 10mm, Leuchars 7.6h.)"

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heat, sun and thunderstorms in summer. Cold sunny days and snow in winter

Looks like Northern Ireland and most of Scotland were fairly unsettled on the day I made it into this world. Southern Scotland and England were more benign and it was mild. It was dry in my neck of the woods with a top temp of 12°C. 

Could contain: Plot, Chart

Edited by Weather Enthusiast91
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winter, warm/hot summer with the odd storm thrown in

I was born in the height of summer so it should have been nice and warm...oh wait. Supposedly there were a few thunderstorms around though which wouldn't surprise me considering we always seem to get thunderstorms near my birthday. 

Could contain: Plot, Chart, Nature, Outdoors, Map, Person

Could contain: Plot, Chart, Map, Outdoors, Nature, Person, Atlas, Vegetation, Plant, Sea

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: All weather

I was born under a cross fire hurricane lol , seriously though it was a hot stormy day in Warwickshire back in August 65  3 months after my parents moved back to the U.K. from California 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winter, warm/hot summer with the odd storm thrown in
1 minute ago, Scuba steve said:

I was born under a cross fire hurricane lol , seriously though it was a hot stormy day in Warwickshire back in August 65  3 months after my parents moved back to the U.K. from California 

They must have brought the weather with them then 😄 

• Insightful 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: All weather
Just now, matt111 said:

They must have brought the weather with them then 😄 

They probably did they where very odd ,lol

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Bright weather. Warm sunny thundery summers, short cold winters.

I won't reveal the date I was born, but I do know, from archive charts and the reports of others, that it was anticyclonic and sunny. Apparently the month as a whole was pretty settled and benign, too. Not one of the "obvious" fine months of the past, though.

Ties in quite well with my weather preferences, I think! 😉

Edited by Summer8906

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Bright weather. Warm sunny thundery summers, short cold winters.
11 hours ago, matt111 said:

I was born in the height of summer so it should have been nice and warm...oh wait. Supposedly there were a few thunderstorms around though which wouldn't surprise me considering we always seem to get thunderstorms near my birthday. 

Could contain: Plot, Chart, Nature, Outdoors, Map, Person

Could contain: Plot, Chart, Map, Outdoors, Nature, Person, Atlas, Vegetation, Plant, Sea

I remember that day, it was almost the first decent day in weeks (though there had been an entertaining thundery spell a week earlier). That spell was about the only decent weather we got in July and August that year, following an excellent May and June. Typically I missed it as I was out of the country for the following 10 days!

Edited by Summer8906

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!
4 minutes ago, Summer8906 said:

I won't reveal the date I was born, but I do know, from archive charts and the reports of others, that it was anticyclonic and sunny. Apparently the month as a whole was pretty settled and benign, too.

or mine! looking on archives, i'd say around 25 degrees and dry

Posted
11 hours ago, Weather Enthusiast91 said:

Looks like Northern Ireland and most of Scotland were fairly unsettled on the day I made it into this world. Southern Scotland and England were more benign and it was mild. It was dry in my neck of the woods with a top temp of 12°C. 

Could contain: Plot, Chart

Another spell I remember well. Late Nov was mild and dull and it very gradually got colder and colder, and much of Dec was sunny with really sharp frosts and foggy at times - before it turned mild perhaps sometime around the 18th (sounds familiar?) At least late December was dry though!

Edited by Summer8906
  • Like 1

Posted
16 hours ago, LetItSnow! said:

That time I do remember vividly due to the outbreak of foot and mouth, and a "lockdown" on countryside access for around three months, which affected me somewhat as I do like walking in the countryside.

Late Feb did feature northerlies, it was cold and often sunny with a few snow showers and a polar low which ended up producing only cold rain here 😞

Edited by Summer8906

Posted
7 minutes ago, I remember Atlantic 252 said:

My Nan's! aye she's nearly 98

Could contain: Nature, Outdoors, Plot, Chart, Graphics, Art

Now what won, the Scandi high or the Atlantic grot? 🙂

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!
1 minute ago, Summer8906 said:

Now what won, the Scandi high or the Atlantic grot? 🙂

Muck 3 days later

Could contain: Plot, Chart, Nature, Outdoors

• Thanks 1

Posted
5 minutes ago, I remember Atlantic 252 said:

Muck 3 days later

Could contain: Plot, Chart, Nature, Outdoors

Shows that some things never change, it seems. Mind you I think the 1920s (except 1929) was a decade of drab winters in the main (and - except 1921 - drab summers too), though some years had some notable short-lived extreme snow events.

Edited by Summer8906

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heat, sun and thunderstorms in summer. Cold sunny days and snow in winter
2 hours ago, Summer8906 said:

I won't reveal the date I was born, but I do know, from archive charts and the reports of others, that it was anticyclonic and sunny. Apparently the month as a whole was pretty settled and benign, too. Not one of the "obvious" fine months of the past, though.

Going by your username, I have often assumed that you were born at some point in June 1989. But seeing as you have memories of weather during the early 90s, unless you have an exceptionally good memory then I guess that is highly unlikely. 😀

• Like 1

Posted
5 minutes ago, Weather Enthusiast91 said:

Going by your username, I have often assumed that you were born at some point in June 1989. But seeing as you have memories of weather during the early 90s, unless you have an exceptionally good memory then I guess that is highly unlikely. 😀

Oh no, not at all. Nonetheless 1989 was a year of my youth, and a year I have very fond memories of.

It reflects my opinion of Summer 1989, and the summers from 1989-2006 generally. A golden period in more ways than one.

Edited by Summer8906
  • Like 1