Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model Output Discussion - Christmas week and beyond

nick sussex
Message added by Paul,

Please keep your posts to discussing the model output in this thread, and for more general winter weather chat please use the winter chat, moans and ramps thread.

The model highlights thread is also available for a more concise view of the model discussions. 

Be kind -- Stay on topic -- Share your knowledge -- Be polite -- Be honest -- Be tolerant -- Be family-friendly

Posted

I’d say the chances of  a White Christmas has improved today for Scotland and the far north of England .

So not a bad start to the day and the ECM is huge relief given its recent op runs .

It is however a very complex set up because of the low heights to the north so the propensity for shortwaves to pop up can’t be ruled out given the timeframes .

Edited by Paul
Edited to topic title
  • Like 5
  • Insightful 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowfall

An albeit grudging move from ecm towards last nights gfs run but not yet enough to bring most of England into play for xmas. 

However as  Matt Hugo posted last night the situation is very complicated and fluid so a fair way to go until this is resolved even at this seemingly close range

Edited by Chesil View
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Dry mild or snow winter. Hot and humid summer.
9 minutes ago, Mike Poole said:

ECM clusters T120-T168:

Could contain: Pattern, Outdoors, Person

Variations on a theme in the Christmas period, cluster 3 looks the best, clusters 1 and 5 OK for the north.  Cluster 4 has the southwesterly, the one to avoid, seems to be diminishing now run to run.

T192-T240:

Could contain: Comics, Book, Publication, Person

Cluster 1, that leave sufficient gap between the low SW and the low heights to our NE for the euro heights to join those over Greenland has grown to 30 members, from 22 yesterday.  Cluster 2 goes a different route, but also cold for the UK.  So these are both good at this range.

IF we are to go back in the freezer then that’s the best chance imo. 

Could contain: Graphics, Art, Plot, Chart, Outdoors

Could contain: Graphics, Art, Outdoors, Nature

Could contain: Outdoors, Nature, Art

Could contain: Outdoors, Nature, Plot, Chart, Art

• Like 9

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything but boringly hot

GFS still on the sherry or will it's consistency be a test of it's upgraded mettle?

ezgif-4-4397627ad8.gif

• Like 3

Posted

Morning all,uncertainty in the charts this morning Gem/ICON going for a scorcher ECM/GFS cold with pressure rise to the north all around Christmas period.Interesting weather scenarios although the colder period after Christmas has been shown on and off from the charts for a while especially in the north,need to keep an eye on the fax charts over the next few days.

• Like 2

Posted

An improvement this morning albeit not quite enough yet to bring most of Wales in the game for some festive weather but a few adjustments here and there and both Wales and Ireland should tap in on the action. 

Here's hoping for an upbeat positive day of modelling ❄️🎅🏼

Edited by Cymro
  • Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and Snowy, Hot and Dry, Blizzard Conditions
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and Snowy, Hot and Dry, Blizzard Conditions
7 minutes ago, DiagonalRedLine said:

If you also be naughty, don’t be surprised if we sneak to Santa’s headquarters and tell Father Christmas to give you a lovely Christmas present this year - a lump of coal. 😛

You wouldn't dare!!!! 😋

For coldies it will be a relief this morning to see the ECM (hopefully) begin to be dragged kicking and screaming in its glass slippers to the cold aisle.

As for how quick or how cold it comes, well I'm sure this detail will be worked on as days go by....

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, frost and snow

If you are in Scotland in particular, it's looking quite promising to say the least for a cold Christmas. Same for Northern England, just with less confidence.

But overall things look more promising on the whole this morning for a cold spell of sorts over the Christmas period for most of the country. Nothing nailed as of yet though, lots of runs and hurdles to get through.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in the Summer, cold and snowy in the winter, simples!

A couple of comments directed toward my posts from the last thread I can no longer directly respond to.

In response to a comment I made alluding to ECM moving toward GFS this with below charts was posted as a repost.

@Weathizard

"Unless I’m missing something, these charts look majorly different to me, aside from the push of heights towards scandi, Maybe the ECM needs to go to specsavers because it’s copying is sub standard"

Could contain: Outdoors, Nature, DiskCould contain: Modern Art, Art, Graphics, Disk

Well frankly, I think you may well be missing something. A few somethings perhaps?

And those somethings are.

How output progresses with each new run and how no two runs are ever the same in FI even using the same model let alone comparing different models.

Not understanding that deviations do not mean they are not synoptically doing similar things and that any deviations increase the further out we go.

That different models are not always in sync when feeling out pattern changes but ,ore often out of sync.

Here are comparisons between Todays ECM and yesterdays GFS but also the same comparison between ECM itself with yesterdays output and see if you can figure out which model is following the other in exploring a pattern change.

The fact that GFS has progressed that exploration while ECM is only just starting to explore it doesn't mean they are going in different directions, the exact opposite in fact. Just that they are out of sync for now.

ECH1-216.GIF?19-12gfsnh-0-228.png?12

ECH1-216.GIF?19-12ECH1-240.GIF?00

Hope this helps.

And  @Paul_1978 in response to my saying Icon and GEM are cannon fodder and anyone else who thinks GEM and ICON are comparable with GFS

"No they are not. Don’t forget Ian Fergusson’s recent tweet which suggested he rated ICON and GEM more than the GFS!"

Well okay, if it is just a matter of opinion you follow Icon and GEM ahead of GFS and good luck.

• Like 5
  • Insightful 1

54 minutes ago, Cymro said:

An improvement this morning albeit not quite enough yet to bring most of Wales in the game for some festive weather but a few adjustments here and there and both Wales and Ireland should tap in on the action. 

Here's hoping for an upbeat positive day of modelling ❄️🎅🏼

It's close,   Wales has the advantage of the hills/black mountains/beacons which will drop the temperatures higher up. 
13C at the moment here in Mid Wales though.

Could contain: Plot, Chart, Green, Map, Atlas, Diagram, White Board

Edited by DanStormUK
  • Like 2

Posted
11 minutes ago, Mucka said:

A couple of comments directed toward my posts from the last thread I can no longer directly respond to.

In response to a comment I made alluding to ECM moving toward GFS this with below charts was posted as a repost.

@Weathizard

"Unless I’m missing something, these charts look majorly different to me, aside from the push of heights towards scandi, Maybe the ECM needs to go to specsavers because it’s copying is sub standard"

Could contain: Outdoors, Nature, DiskCould contain: Modern Art, Art, Graphics, Disk

Well frankly, I think you may well be missing something. A few somethings perhaps?

And those somethings are.

How output progresses with each new run and how no two runs are ever the same in FI even using the same model let alone comparing different models.

Not understanding that deviations do not mean they are not synoptically doing similar things and that any deviations increase the further out we go.

That different models are not always in sync when feeling out pattern changes but ,ore often out of sync.

Here are comparisons between Todays ECM and yesterdays GFS but also the same comparison between ECM itself with yesterdays output and see if you can figure out which model is following the other in exploring a pattern change.

The fact that GFS has progressed that exploration while ECM is only just starting to explore it doesn't mean they are going in different directions, the exact opposite in fact. Just that they are out of sync for now.

ECH1-216.GIF?19-12gfsnh-0-228.png?12

ECH1-216.GIF?19-12ECH1-240.GIF?00

Hope this helps.

And  @Paul_1978 in response to my saying Icon and GEM are cannon fodder and anyone else who thinks GEM and ICON are comparable with GFS

"No they are not. Don’t forget Ian Fergusson’s recent tweet which suggested he rated ICON and GEM more than the GFS!"

Well okay, if it is just a matter of opinion you follow Icon and GEM ahead of GFS and good luck.

Pulled this from twitter regarding model performances, it always surprises me how the ecm is always so far ahead. It must model the North Pacific bang on or something.

It would be interesting if there was UK or Europe performance graph rather than just Northern hemisphere

Could contain: Plot, Chart

Could contain: Plot, Chart

• Like 4
  • Insightful 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: blizzard conditions. ice days

The direction of travel today = the Iberian high becomes an North African one.. and the 12z start walking into  🚶‍♂️ what the gfs- has shut the door on already and possible further general upgrades croosboard.

Edited by tight isobar
  • Like 8

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in the Summer, cold and snowy in the winter, simples!
16 minutes ago, bluearmy said:

I do find the dissing etc of models quite odd. They are all processing billions of calculations to produce a representation of the atmosphere over a period of time in the future. No model can actually predict the future.  We have to use our experience and intuition to sort the wheat from the chaff but never throw out the chaff unless it’s absolutely minging !  And that doesn’t mean not showing what you would like it to! 

we don’t have the met office stuff which enables them to do that sorting (not models such as glosea) but even then, I wouldn’t say we’re in a much worse place to make judgments than they are - but only if we take off our blue tinted specs and stop over reacting to a couple, runs/suites which may not go where we expected. 

we have enough decent models without needing to be looking at navgem or the Indian/Chinese models.  The amount of data we now have access to compared to only half a dozen years ago is brilliant.  Not that it seems to make this thread any easier to get through! 

anyway, ec/Ukmo/icon/gfs and gem are all pretty excellent at day 5 in predicting where we will be once the more uncertain period begins - that’s when the human side gets involved.  Nwp charts behind that are simply guesses - some are going to be closer to what happens that others. the modelling is definitely improving - when was the last time we saw an ‘ian brown wtf moment’ when Ukmo diverged completely from what was cross model agreement at day 5 and proved to be correct ? 

we can only dismiss a model run if we have very good reason to do so. 

Obviously all output should be taken into consideration and if I hurt the feels of GEM or Icon I am profoundly sorry, there is no room for hate speech.

Edited by Paul
Removed un-needed comments.
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm and dry, or very cold. See my profile for model trivia
6 minutes ago, bluearmy said:

we don’t have the met office stuff which enables them to do that sorting (not models such as glosea)

What does GLOSEA actually do?