Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model Output Discussion - Christmas week and beyond

nick sussex
Message added by Paul,

Please keep your posts to discussing the model output in this thread, and for more general winter weather chat please use the winter chat, moans and ramps thread.

The model highlights thread is also available for a more concise view of the model discussions. 

Be kind -- Stay on topic -- Share your knowledge -- Be polite -- Be honest -- Be tolerant -- Be family-friendly

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm summers but not too hot and colder winters with frost and snow

As much as I would like GFS to be right possibly an outlier?

• Like 3

Posted
2 minutes ago, TSNWK said:

Incoming streamers me thinks…

where do you get the 850 and dam charts together I’ve seen

Could contain: Plot, Chart, Map, Atlas, Diagram, Sea, Outdoors, Nature, Water

Iso 0c top right 

Could contain: Plot, Chart, Map, Atlas, Diagram, Nature, Outdoors

• Like 1
  • Insightful 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold Snowy Winters, Hot Thundery Summers

There was a lot of people writing off the prospects of cold in later December as there was too much of a fixation on the strat and NH views.

However if that GFS comes off we could end up with a decent cold spell of our own. No 1060mb high, no SSW just a northerly in our part of the world tipping the scales.

The northerly might not come off mind but SLP changes in our part of the world can have a much bigger ripple effect.

Would be nice if the transition into colder air was sped up if I was to be picky. Chances of a white christmas here have reduced. Still lots of uncertainty.

• Like 6
  • Insightful 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in the Summer, cold and snowy in the winter, simples!
1 minute ago, bluearmy said:

Wish you better mate 

I wasn’t jumping on you but there has been a fair bit of selective chart using over the last week or so. if you thought I was using you to make the point then I apologise - it wasn’t meant to be like that. 

Appreciated.

Personally I like to think I "select" charts to help illustrate my opinion and any cherry-picking is almost always done with tongue firmly in cheek.

I rarely actually call the output beyond expressing an opinion of where and why I have doubt on a model outcome or give an opinion as to where the output may head which I tend to caveat carefully.

I would say 90% of my post on the Xmas period reiterate uncertainty rather than blind allegiance to a cold outcome, I even weighted milder to win out at one point,  although I will always have a greater interest in cold options.

But, If you do feel I am barking up the wrong tree or backing the wrong horse then please respond to that particular post and we can discuss our opinions.

Merry Xmas you and yours.

• Like 5

Posted

Dear Santa! I’ve been a good boy all year… please may I have 19/12/22 06z GFS as a prezzie.. 

what a chart and those heights are now heading to Greenland.. defo bankable.. unable to boom as a bit isolated for now and I suspect will be an outlier.. but hey.. nice viewing on a rainy mild morning.

Could contain: Outdoors, Nature

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow & Thunderstorms

I said it a few days ago and will say it again, a lot of cold Winter's have cold tasers before really getting going after Christmas. Could this be one?

So far the NH appears to be acting very differently this year. Yes, I know feet firmly on the ground and all that but I'm just saying, it feels different this year. As ever we'll see, addictive as ever though.

Let's hope the GFS is really onto to building something here and the others will catch up, it gets slated at times but sometimes it has it's day.

JFF but lovely Day 10.

Could contain: Outdoors, Nature, Plot, Chart

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and storms

Beautiful run by the 6z GFS however we need support from not only the ens but also the likes of ECM and UKMO before I start to take note. My take would be that this is either an outlier or right at the bottom of the pack, however i would be more than happy to be proved wrong. I might just have to take a few screen shots of this run mind 😊

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Southerly tracking LPs, heavy snow. Also 25c and calm

For me that (not unexpected) ‘‘hurricane’ nor’easter is important.  It tracks inland northwards staying west of Greenland and hence we see stronger ridge to our W/NW.  06z…….plausible.

BFTP

Edited by BLAST FROM THE PAST
  • Like 2
  • Insightful 3

Posted
4 minutes ago, Mucka said:

Appreciated.

Personally I like to think I "select" charts to help illustrate my opinion and any cherry-picking is almost always done with tongue firmly in cheek.

I rarely actually call the output beyond expressing an opinion of where and why I have doubt on a model outcome or give an opinion as to where the output may head which I tend to caveat carefully.

I would say 90% of my post on the Xmas period reiterate uncertainty rather than blind allegiance to a cold outcome, I even weighted milder to win out at one point,  although I will always have a greater interest in cold options.

But, If you do feel I am barking up the wrong tree or backing the wrong horse then please respond to that particular post and we can discuss our opinions.

Merry Xmas you and yours.

I wasn’t referring to you about selectiveness. - you’re not in that camp.  I really shouldn’t have made my post against yours. Then it couldn’t have been misinterpreted 

• Like 2

Posted

We need to stay grounded though as well. By all means we should enjoy that gfs 06z run but the mean shows slightly more influence from Euro heights compared to the 00z mean. 

Could contain: Graphics, Art, Outdoors, Nature, Modern Art

Could contain: Outdoors, Nature, Graphics, Art

• Like 2

Posted
  • Location: Ashbourne,County Meath,about 6 miles northwest of dublin airport. 74m ASL
  • Weather Preferences: Cold weather - frost or snow
  • Location: Ashbourne,County Meath,about 6 miles northwest of dublin airport. 74m ASL

Maybe very mild today but if the 06z is correct the mildness won't last too long........

Could contain: Plot, Chart, Outdoors, Nature

Could contain: Plot, Chart, Map

Could contain: Sunglasses, Firearm, Person, Man, Adult, Male, Handgun, Poster, Advertisement, Glasses

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in the Summer, cold and snowy in the winter, simples!
1 minute ago, bluearmy said:

I wasn’t referring to you about selectiveness. - you’re not in that camp.  I really shouldn’t have made my post against yours. Then it couldn’t have been misinterpreted 

Well we made a mountain out a mole hill between us didn't we? As I say I am overly tetchy at the moment and my original caustic response was removed so all good.

Thanks for going the extra mile and I am glad we can now return to our original programming in nailing down this Islands weather for Xmas. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Posted

There are a few gefs members that support this evolution so it isn’t ridiculous. There are a distinct lack of eps members that find this level of  amplification but some eps members do find a cold easterly around a more suppressed ridge (inc the control) 

it’s obviously nice to see the gfs pull this run from the ens pile and deliver it as an op. But we need to see it re occur a few times 

• Like 5
  • Insightful 4

Posted

Amen ! That wretched Atlantic low to the sw is cut off and then the GFS manages just enough energy heading ese to stop the Euro blob from sucking the high to the nw south .

The GFS 06 hrs run has actually tracked towards the ECM op in terms of the low heading ene .

All in all a really good run for coldies in the UK and this set up delivers some lovely warm conditions here in Cyprus .

Can we just bank this run and enjoy the festive period !

• Like 9

Posted
Just now, nick sussex said:

Amen ! That wretched Atlantic low to the sw is cut off and then the GFS manages just enough energy heading ese to stop the Euro blob from sucking the high to the nw south .

The GFS 06 hrs run has actually tracked towards the ECM op in terms of the low heading ene .

All in all a really good run for coldies in the UK and this set up delivers some lovely warm conditions here in Cyprus .

Can we just bank this run and enjoy the festive period !

Ha ha ha 😂 if only Nick. If only. 

• Like 1