Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model Output Discussion - New Year and Beyond

Message added by Paul,

Please keep your posts to discussing the model output in this thread, and for more general winter weather chat please use the winter chat, moans and ramps thread.

The model highlights thread is also available for a more concise view of the model discussions. 

Be kind -- Stay on topic -- Share your knowledge -- Be polite -- Be honest -- Be tolerant -- Be family-friendly

Posted
10 minutes ago, BLAST FROM THE PAST said:

What’s of interest to me is how cold we are, have been with fairly benign set ups…especially to recent years.  It has got really cold, coldest Jan night for donkeys down here from a fairly nothing set up.  And projected, there’s some punchy cold to come from the ‘useless’ northerly topplers.  Not what ‘some’ profess

BFTP

Hi ,  what do you feel is the reason for the surprising level of cold ??

• Like 2

Posted
13 minutes ago, BLAST FROM THE PAST said:

What’s of interest to me is how cold we are, have been with fairly benign set ups…especially to recent years.  It has got really cold, coldest Jan night for donkeys down here from a fairly nothing set up.  And projected, there’s some punchy cold to come from the ‘useless’ northerly topplers.  Not what ‘some’ profess

BFTP

Read somewhere that Australia having a cool summer. Aurora Storm and I speculated at Christmas whether the huge amount of water vapour sent into the Southern  Hemisphere atmosphere from  the South Pacific volcano a year ago might have some small effect on world weather patterns. I believe some water vapour was shot 93 miles up escaping into space.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Insightful 4

Posted
4 minutes ago, Tim Bland said:

Almost a split 

Could contain: Outdoors, Nature, Plot, Chart, Hurricane, Storm

But gfs develops it after it’s allowed the Asian vortex to send heavy re Inforcements across to the Canadian side - that lobe is way too strong 

The block and possible splitting needs to be pre day 11/12 to avoid that monster Canadian tpv 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold winters, hot summers

Are there any charts for the coupling of tpv and spv available?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: blizzard conditions. ice days

They are getting better via each rolled suite. The p’s- mean- members.. are noting! The London ones!    Be paying a keen look for the ajoining sets for compare @Aberdeen/@ Birmingham ones... as we gain forward 🤘

Could contain: Chart18z

Edited by tight isobar
  • Like 3
  • Insightful 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun in summer, snow in winter, wind in Autumn and rainbows in the spring!

I've never seen such promising charts for winter prospects before this week. The cold from the NW and N is piling up. 

I've never seen such promising charts for winter prospects before this week. The cold from the NW and N is piling up. 

• Like 2

Posted
5 hours ago, Ladyofthestorm said:

Unfortunately I dont think that is a promising sign, well for us anyway, the deep cold is due to the dense PV, this just fires up the jet due to a big temperature gradient. No sign of this cold being released to lower lattitudes at the moment.

• Like 1

Posted
7 hours ago, Tim Bland said:

Almost a split 

Could contain: Outdoors, Nature, Plot, Chart, Hurricane, Storm

A vile chart if it's cold you're after.

• Like 1

Posted
21 minutes ago, joggs said:

A vile chart if it's cold you're after.

Yes, it does something similar on the 00z....just look where the PV decides to reinforce...

Could contain: Accessories, Pattern, Graphics, Art, Outdoors, Modern Art

Edited by KTtom
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter synoptics.Hot summers.

Interesting UKMO pressure from the pacific and atlantic

animaiu8.gif

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything

No real change since I posted last week. Post the HP sinking, after D6, we see the tPV (GEFS mean) relocate to our NW:

animoow2.gif

So little hope of HL Blocking pre-first-third-Feb. Though, UK on the colder side of the jet, so PM shots from a cold zonal flow; those benefiting from that setup should see some interest. Though caveat, that GFS in FI will likely overdo the speed of flow, so the colder uppers in the op, likely to be warmed out by T0.

With the SSW unlikely to be useful this side of Winter, if at all, it does look likely that we will have to wait until around mid-Feb to see if we get another repeating cold spell. As for sudden changes, the models seem to be in agreement and are very good at nailing setups like this, especially with no trop-strat link-up.

• Like 5
  • Insightful 1

Posted
9 hours ago, BLAST FROM THE PAST said:

BFTP

Indeed...... -7 yet again here this morning 

• Like 2

Posted

This High pressure needs to either back further West to allow a Northerly to develop or just clear off all together, all its going to do is bring mild Atlantic gunk over the top of the high and into the uk with its current orientation. 

Really frustrating and eating up precious Wintertime. 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snowy winters and warm sunny summers

Dear God, the ECM is awful, it starts  poor and just gets worse with the high shifting eastwards and growing to become a 3000 Mile wide Bartlett sitting over Iberia.

Londoners will be going from scraping ice off their cars to lighting their BBQs on that run.

Didn't look at GFS too depressed.

Andy

PS: All is not lost plenty of snow shots in Greece.....

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1