Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model Output Discussion - New Year and Beyond

Message added by Paul,

Please keep your posts to discussing the model output in this thread, and for more general winter weather chat please use the winter chat, moans and ramps thread.

The model highlights thread is also available for a more concise view of the model discussions. 

Be kind -- Stay on topic -- Share your knowledge -- Be polite -- Be honest -- Be tolerant -- Be family-friendly

Posted
28 minutes ago, Gowon said:

It's crap but I'm hoping it looks like this evenings JMA in the morning😝

Good luck with that one 😆

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
51 minutes ago, blizzard81 said:

Good luck with that one 😆

Perhaps it will look like tonight's JMA in two or three weeks?! 🤔

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter Snow, extreme weather, mainly sunny mild summers though.
12 minutes ago, Battleground Snow said:

Control offering some light relief after a bad few days of modelling 😊

Could contain: Outdoors, Plot, Chart, Nature

Could contain: Plot, Chart, Art, Face, Person, Head, Outdoors, Nature

Yes might as well end on a more cheerful note, good old control brings us a BFTE... so its GFS 18z control and JMA verses The rest!😆

Could contain: Plot, Chart, Map, Sea, Outdoors, Nature, Water, Atlas, Diagram

• Like 7

Posted

Some interst for the north east over the next few days in the wake of departing lows, however, the direction of travel for 'the' high has been well documented recently in the means, UKMO 168 and GFS 240 suggesting a return to late December..

Throw in last nights 240 from ECM and its very consistant, unfortunately, as is often the case FI moves way out in some set ups and currently were looking day 10 IMO

Could contain: Plot, Chart, Map, Atlas, Diagram, Nature, Outdoors

Could contain: Plot, Chart

Could contain: Plot, Chart, Map

Edited by KTtom
Add chart
  • Like 2

Posted
7 hours ago, Don said:

wow yes please number 3

7 hours ago, Kirkcaldy Weather said:

Still fully believe the MJO phase 3 will have quite a big influence in the next few weeks, I did mention a prolonging in that phase

ECMF-BC-1.png GEFS.png

JMAN.png

and I still don't see it being a negative actually could be the opposite as I've shown many times the tilted atlantic troughing can be common in some of our best flows from the East 

gensnh-19-1-330.png gensnh-36-1-330.png

gensnh-50-1-330.png gensnh-24-1-342.png

gensnh-19-1-342.png gensnh-3-1-360.png

An example I used previously January 2013

archivesnh-2013-1-18-0-0.png archivesnh-2013-1-20-0-0.png

archivesnh-2013-1-20-18-0.png

how about number 3,has to be the pick of the bunch!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold

The GFS 0z run Op looks to be in its own into February.

Not just temperature wise but also with the lack of precipitation shown for both London and Oslo whereas other members showing spikes especially for Norway.

Could contain: Line Chart, Chart, Plot, QR Code

Edited by prolongedSnowLover
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Northeasterly Blizzard and sub zero temperatures.

Morning all. Not a bad chart from GFS in the medium term and shows some promise to the NE. Lets see what develops along the polar front as it heads towards the developing Scandinavian trough. Still possible a sinker in the making along the baroclinic boundary could change the longer term runs. The models do not look overly mild at this stage. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm summers, Snowy winters.

Squinting my eyes but I do believe the ECM now nudges away from -5 850`s.

graphe_ens3.gif

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme cold & snow

Weclome to the Sh*itesville horror show from all models this morning.

The Op overdoes the mildness maybe but still...... 🤢

Could contain: Chart

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Insightful 1

Hi morning peeps 

Hope everyone is keeping well. I have not posted for a while I was just sitting back to see if something exciting for us coldies could appear. Rather a dull start here in London this morning really gloomy just on my commute Milton Keynes for work.

I think we are now gradually approaching the cut of time to make or break for the remainder of what’s left of winter. I don’t see anything of interest in the next 10 days or so going forward. Going into February looks like we may have more influence from the west rather than the north or east. Yes periods of rain interrupted by brief colder periods with NW pm flow at times, maybe the north bearing some fruit from this but no nationwide severe cold. 

Unless something changes into  mid feb with outside factors, sad to say but winter May go out of smoke without any fire . I know it’s coming nearer the crunch time now, soon time will not be in our favour and as the daylight hours start increasing so will the suns strength. 

We can now only hope going forward that winter will give us that one more chance to cherish something in February.

have a great day all stay safe

THE SEARCH FOR WINTER CONTINUES BUT TIME IS TICKING 

regards 😊😊😊😊

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything but wind & rain

I think the best case scenario with looking at the 500mb means is the jet stream is pushed as far south as possible due to the heights in the artic putting pressure on the PV . There is alot of cold air bottled up to the NW if we could tap into that it's the best we can hope for.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer > Spring > Winter > Autumn :-)

Could contain: Plot, Chart, Smoke PipeCould contain: Plot, Chart, Line ChartCould contain: Plot, ChartCould contain: Book, Publication, Comics, Pattern, Person, Outdoors 

It's looking like the Atlantic westerlies are going to come back with a vengeance as we go into the first week of February. Pressure falling, rainfall spikes increasing. Potentially stormy too depending on where the high/low pressure systems end up.

• Like 4
  • Insightful 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Very Cold, Very Snowy
27 minutes ago, E17boy said:

Hi morning peeps 

Hope everyone is keeping well. I have not posted for a while I was just sitting back to see if something exciting for us coldies could appear. Rather a dull start here in London this morning really gloomy just on my commute Milton Keynes for work.

I think we are now gradually approaching the cut of time to make or break for the remainder of what’s left of winter. I don’t see anything of interest in the next 10 days or so going forward. Going into February looks like we may have more influence from the west rather than the north or east. Yes periods of rain interrupted by brief colder periods with NW pm flow at times, maybe the north bearing some fruit from this but no nationwide severe cold. 

Unless something changes into  mid feb with outside factors, sad to say but winter May go out of smoke without any fire . I know it’s coming nearer the crunch time now, soon time will not be in our favour and as the daylight hours start increasing so will the suns strength. 

We can now only hope going forward that winter will give us that one more chance to cherish something in February.

regards 😊😊😊😊

A the end of  January I will have had mean temp of around 4.5 for Dec/January  and lying snow for 7 days. Can live with that. However,  I agree fully with your post above. Winter in March is not really winter and that looks like our only hope with current output. 

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Enjoy the weather, you can't take it with you 😎

Models after 5 days all over the place. Seems to be computer models are less accurate now then they were 20 years ago in the medium term . All togeather a step backwards for weather forecasting!  Gfs predicting high pressure over southern Europe again in the days ahead, more or less along with ecm. What does stand out especially for southern Britain, little in the way of rainfall. As regards temperatures, well watch this space....😐

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Enjoy the weather, you can't take it with you 😎
1 hour ago, E17boy said:

Hi morning peeps 

regards 😊😊😊😊

Once the PV starts to fragment during March and April and even into May ,then we will look to the North East. By then Winters Bolted, but it's no coincidence that east or north easterly winds are more common late winter into early spring then at any other time of year!😨😨😨

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm and dry, or very cold. See my profile for model trivia
14 minutes ago, ANYWEATHER said:

Once the PV starts to fragment during March and April and even into May ,then we will look to the North East. By then Winters Bolted, but it's no coincidence that east or north easterly winds are more common late winter into early spring then at any other time of year!😨😨😨

I've recently found a site with charts that illustrate quite nicely how April and May are the months with the most frequent Northerly and Easterly winds.

https://weatherspark.com/y/45062/Average-Weather-in-London-United-Kingdom-Year-Round#Sections-Wind

The site says its data comes from NASA's MERRA-2 Modern-Era Retrospective Analysis.

It surprises me that westerly winds are favoured as much in July and August as they are in December and January. Why might this be?

Edited by RainAllNight
  • Like 3
  • Insightful 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Seasonal and interesting weather including summer storms and winter snow

Well i dont think you can argue with these..

gfs-ens_z500a_nhem_57.thumb.png.aa399e89c4db488509a1736ca0343633.png

gfs-ens_z500aMean_nhem_9.thumb.png.e93e86408c093c19a58f7625c83aab8c.png

...and while as others have stated the gfs is being over zealous with its Bartlett.esk charts (sorry to mention that word)..

Could contain: Plot, Chart, Nature, Outdoors, Map

.....yuck.....

looking at the means i think a period of zonal type weather...chopping and changing with many fronts passing over us will ensue...

Sw..w..nw...some cooler/colder shots obviously still possible..

..this mobility seems to be expected really as the weather has been pretty docile lately...last night was 10th night of frost here with plenty of sunny skies...

• Like 6