Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model Output Discussion - New Year and Beyond

Message added by Paul,

Please keep your posts to discussing the model output in this thread, and for more general winter weather chat please use the winter chat, moans and ramps thread.

The model highlights thread is also available for a more concise view of the model discussions. 

Be kind -- Stay on topic -- Share your knowledge -- Be polite -- Be honest -- Be tolerant -- Be family-friendly

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: severe storms,snow wind and ice
4 minutes ago, bluearmy said:

The eps are still pretty flat at day 12 - moreso than the gefs or geps

the control is very amplified 

Where are you seeing this Nick,...it is Nick isn't it?

because it's not out yet(12z) on Meteociel

behind paywall?

do you have a screenshot😁

Edited by Allseasons-si
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, snow, warm sunny days.

Out of curiosity - is 500 mb height anomaly derived from the ensembles?

If they're from the ensembles and the ops lead the way in a complex situation like this, then they won't be very accurate?

• Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Seasonal and interesting weather including summer storms and winter snow

Once again the 850s op going down...minus 12 at one point !!

Could contain: Chart

....bit lonely down there though..

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall.
1 hour ago, bluearmy said:

The eps are still pretty flat at day 12 - moreso than the gefs or geps

the control is very amplified 

yes - one stand out member only i'm afraid, albeit genuinely severely cold and snowy for sustained period.

Could contain: Outdoors, Nature, Hurricane, StormCould contain: Plot, Chart, Outdoors, Nature

Edited by feb1991blizzard
  • Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowfall

All rather Interesting again on the ops this evening with gem and ecm moving towards the more amplified gfs solution first mooted yesterday.

Strange that it is the gfs which is the most amplified when we know that it is usually the ecm that has a bias in that regard.

Interesting times.

Edited by Chesil View
  • Like 5

Posted

Evening all 🙂

I thought tonight's output might provoke some interest though it seems a less than stellar ec46 (I mean, really) and it's all doom and gloom once again.

I can accept for snow fans it's a long journey to nirvana but for fans of cold the build of heights into Scandinavia (whether we may it to full HLB or end up as an Upper MLB) is an encouraging development.

Let's not get too excited or ahead of ourselves - signals come and signals go and one or two rubbished last night's GFS 12Z OP in far FI for even postulating a Scandinavian HP but of course GFS goes out to T+384 and perhaps there's a lesson here about an OP seeing a scenario before the Ensembles and we shouldn't be too quick to disparage an outlier OP specially if it repeats the signal over the next series of output.

The fact is we are seeing more hints of a build of heights into NW Europe and possibly into southern Scandinavia across a number of models at the T+240 timeframe so still a long way off - if it's there and across all models (especially UKM) at T+120 we can start taking it seriously (cynics might say even T+24 is taking a chance).

Yet it may be gone this time tomorrow only to return in a few days - that's the nature of it.

IF we get the synoptics right there's plenty of cold air to tap into and I'm sceptical because the continuing Wave 1 attacks on the PV should be keeping it strong and in the NE Canada/Greenland area but if this is a trop response to other developments we could well be in with a shout.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Insightful 2

Posted
1 hour ago, Cold Winter Night said:

Well, just when it seemed that winter chances were slipping away, the interest has returned.
EC at 240h follows a track that is a bit different from 0z and GFS/GEM, but still ends with blocking and a negative tilt on the Atlantic at Day 10.

Considering that these developments appeared on the high resolution runs, and that there was not much like this to be found in the extended EPS ensemble this morning, I doubt if this will be picked up by the EC46 tonight, since that starts off at Day 14 of the regular EPS.
Don't be too disappointed if the EC46 output is underwhelming compared to the 12z high resolution runs.

Could very well be an example of the operationals leading the ensembles.

Did someone say the strat warming will imprint itself on the models from the 27th Jan...

• Like 2
  • Insightful 1

Posted
  • Location: Abingdon - 55m ASL - Capital of The Central Southern England Corridor of Winter Convectionlessness
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Snow>Freezing Fog; Summer: Sun>Daytime Storms
  • Location: Abingdon - 55m ASL - Capital of The Central Southern England Corridor of Winter Convectionlessness
1 hour ago, Uncertainty said:

The 12z gfs op last night was completely and utterly on its own. A shining light of hope in an otherwise barren sea of desolate output. 

And yet, tonight, the gfs op (again), GEM and  EC Ops are suggesting an amplified U.K. high - and not one that looks like flattening quickly either. The ensembles aren’t there yet, but have trended in that direction. 

So why the shift? And will it be gone in the morning?

Could contain: Plot, Chart, Outdoors, Nature

Have I ever observed GFS display the sort of consistency required to hold onto an idea for 40 runs? Well, the answer isn't 'yes'.

Edited by The Enforcer
  • Like 2

Posted
8 minutes ago, The Enforcer said:

Have I ever observed GFS display the sort of consistency required to hold onto an idea for 40 runs? Well, the answer isn't 'yes'.

I think the days/weeks leading to December 2010 were pretty consistent?

The CET that month was -0.7c and the period leading up to it was a steady countdown to cold if I remember rightly

Edit: only one example of yes in a sea of no’s though!

Edited by lottiekent
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Snow>Freezing Fog; Summer: Sun>Daytime Storms
8 minutes ago, lottiekent said:

I think the days/weeks leading to December 2010 were pretty consistent?

The CET that month was -0.7c and the period leading up to it was a steady countdown to cold if I remember rightly

Now that is stretching my memory, but given my recollection is that the end of November 2010 was already polar continental, all GFS had to do there was maintain the status quo. Here, it has to hold onto a pattern change. If my memory is wrong, then one victory in 13 years doesn't inspire confidence.

Edited by The Enforcer
  • Like 1

Posted
17 minutes ago, The Enforcer said:

Now that is stretching my memory, but given my recollection is that the end of November 2010 was already polar continental, all GFS had to do there was maintain the status quo. Here, it has to hold onto a pattern change. If my memory is wrong, then one victory in 13 years doesn't inspire confidence.

It actually called the breakdown consistently from T+384 down on the 12Z OP when other models were looking to prolong the very cold spell well into January 2011.

• Like 1
  • Insightful 2