Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Virgin Orbit UK Launch

toggerob

Posted

Although not officially announced by Virgin Orbit just yet, a NOTAM has been issued for the 9th January at 00:16 UTC for a launch time with the trajectory heading on a southern sun-synchronous orbit. The launch (weather permitting) will be visible across much of the UK although it'll be a mere 'dot' on the southern horizon than anything seen from Cape Canaveral. I saw the 747 at Newquay was doing pre-flight checks overnight with the transponder pinging on FR24 so i'm inclined to think that the first launch-window attempt is imminent.

skynews-virgin-orbit-rocket_4998746.jpg?
NEWS.SKY.COM

LauncherOne will be the first rocket to launch from UK soil when it's carried skyward from Spaceport Cornwall, and will be visible across the country. Not only that, but people in Ireland, Spain, Portugal, and...

Could contain: Airport, Airplane, Aircraft, Vehicle, Transportation, Airliner, Flight, AirfieldCould contain: Land, Outdoors, Nature, Plot, Sea, Water, Vegetation, Shoreline, Coast, Text

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Atlantic Storms, Thunder & Lightning, Snow.
launcherone_image_20200101110016.jpeg
SPACELAUNCHNOW.ME

7 payloads for government and private customers. This mission is the first launch from the United Kingdom.

So far it's a go for launch in three days time. You can follow here.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Atlantic Storms, Thunder & Lightning, Snow.

More info

LauncherOne_NdW79x1.jpg
NEXTSPACEFLIGHT.COM

Virgin Orbit will launch a LauncherOne rocket with Start Me Up from Spaceport Cornwall, Newquay Airport in Cornwall, United Kingdom.

• Like 2

Posted

Successful drop but unfortunately the payload didn't make it into orbit due to an anomaly with the second-stage, the last telemetry I grabbed from the V.O. livestream shows the engine gimbaling to it's highest parameters despite the presenter saying that it's simply a 'data-blackout'. I tried spotting it here from South Manchester 1min after FR24 showed Cosmic Girl in it's climb manouver but despite the starry skies overhead the cloud remained persistent to the SW.

Could contain: File, Monitor, Computer Hardware, Screen, Hardware, Electronics

• Thanks 1

Posted
2 hours ago, Weather-history said:

I'm confused, if the payload didn't make it into orbit, where did it go? Crashed backed to Earth? 

Apparently they don't know! But it might come back to earth in unpopulated areas ... But if not then surely it has to be orbiting up there somewhere lol

Posted
3 hours ago, Weather-history said:

I'm confused, if the payload didn't make it into orbit, where did it go? Crashed backed to Earth? 

After the second-stage failed to ignite it put Launcher One in-to a spin but still carrying it's forward & upward momentum until the energy depletion of the first-stage was overcome by Earth's gravity, it wouldn't be a spectacular "Rapid Unplanned Disassembly" but rather a long series of tumbles into near-zero gravity before the stage dropped back down into the upper atmosphere, and subsequently being destroyed. Where it ended up on the ground is the main question by the press but V.O. are still reviewing the telemetry but if I had to guess i'd say the Ross Sea close to Antarctica (after Launcher One looped around the South Pole) is the likely impact point.

• Like 2
  • Insightful 1

Posted

Preliminary reports suggest it was seen burning up close to Lanzarote, not confirmed by V.O. but the media and timing suggests a meteor camera managed to pick-up the debris trail as Launcher One was re-entering the upper atmosphere. Looks like I was a little off by a factor of a few thousand miles 😄

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 months later...
Posted

Virgin Orbit have now filed for bankcruptcy. Spaceport Cornwall has sacked almost all staff.

......As this was the only client of Spaceport Cornwall it looks like the British Space dream is dead.

_129228457_gettyimages-1233924777.jpg
WWW.BBC.CO.UK

The satellite launch company has failed to secure new investment after a rocket launch failed.
WWW.CORNWALLLIVE.COM

The news coming out of the US about Virgin Orbit keeps getting worse

• Like 1

Posted

SaxaVord – UK Space Port up in the Shetland Islands is due to be 'online' this Summer with the first launch tests due in mid/late Autumn, with more sites proposed across the UK by 2025. VG's Air-Drop system was a viable concept in terms of re-usability & economics but as the Pegasus Mission's found out, it's much simpler having a ground-based launcher instead.

Hopefully the VG Team at Spaceport Cornwall can find employment in Scotland, it's not a ideal situation but it's where the investments are currently going to.

https://www.scotsman.com/news/environment/countdown-to-uks-first-vertical-rocket-launch-begins-as-shetland-spaceport-construction-blasts-forward-3929256

• Like 2